Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

I Don't Get "MacBite"

(27 posts)
  1. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy MacBaren blends. I enjoy others just as much but MacBaren is locally available and if they were all I had to choose from, I could be satisfied. That being said, I was just reading reviews on tobaccoreviews.com and I see quite a few people refer to what is known as "MacBite", "MacBlowTorch", etc. I guess I am lucky. I can smoke Va no 1 like a madman and I don't get bit. There are two blends in the MacBaren line that bite me; Dark Twist and Club Blend. I have tried several of MacBaren's blends and I must say, they are some of the best IMO. Is anyone the opposite? The same?

I tend to believe that a couple of years ago I had no idea what I was doing and that was why I experienced tongue bite or tongue burn most of the time. I have improved on my technique and rarely do I experience it minus a couple of blends that just flat out disagree with me.

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. tjameson

tjameson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Honestly I have the exact same experience as you. I enjoy MacBaren blends very much, but I do find that Dark Twist will bite me if I'm not extremely careful, like right on the edge of the bowl going out careful. I love Old Dark Fired and Burley London and could probably smoke just those two and be very content. I think some people may have a bad reaction to red VA which could very well be present in many of their blends. I think everyone should give them a chance as they are a powerhouse when it comes to blending. I also think McClellend is another blender everyone should try even if they have a ba experience with one or two blends.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ive noticed a strange phenomenon with MacBaren blends in that their HH line of blends (Highland, Mature Virginia, and Acadian Perique are the only ones I have tried), cause me FAR less bite than some of their regular line of blends, but even those blends are a mixed bag for me. I can smoke Golden Extra and Navy Flake with little problem unless Im careless, but I have tried Plumcake and Dark Twist and smoking both of those was akin to licking a flaming porcupine.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Plumcake and Black Ambrosia bit me, nothing else has...

Matt.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have recentlty started smoking HH Old Dark Fire and have yet to get the "MacBite" very smooth and flavorful smoke with a little kick. However I to suffer from the "MacBite" with Dark Twist. I have 16 oz of it. Not sure when I will try to smoke it again.

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have smoked Plumcake, HH Dark Fired, and Va# . Neither have bit me.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah it seems that Dark Twist is the worst. I love the flavor but just can't stand to smoke it because of the bite.

I love Old Dark Fired and Burley London and could probably smoke just those two and be very content

Same here man. I am smoking BLB as we speak and had ODF before bed last night. They are both awesome.

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Mac Baren. I have all of the 7 Seas line bulked up in mason jars and I like Honey & Chocolate, Black Ambrosia, Golden of Denmark, and Original Choice. I've never had the MacBite.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lordofthepiperings, the Seven Seas Line is IMO, some of the most high quality aro's out there. I love the royal and gold. I'm currently out of both so I need to restock

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So far, neither have I. I suppose it is like spicy food -- some are more tolerant than others. Coupled, of course, with other variables such as how fast one puffs.

And, MacBaren lends itself to such name changes in a way that, say, Dunhill does not. if you make a quip about MacBite in a post, everyone knows that you mean MacBaren. Make a post on Blowtorchhill and see if anyone gets it.

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to agree. Mac Baren did a great job with the Seven Seas Line. Really quality aromatics that deliver a balanced top dressing flavor as well as leaf flavor.

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobby46

Probably Older Than You

Login to Send PM

I solved my "macbite" issues by smoking them in a churchwarden. There are also longer stems (seven inchers)available for cobs that also do the trick for me. Pre-drying your tobacco seems to also be a factor. Worth a try?

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a lover of HH ODF (ordering 1 lb today) and unless I smoke it like a chimney, I do fine without tongue bite. I can get anything to bite if I go hard enough. I get far more tongue bite from a bulk aromatic than the ODF. Its the only Mac I've tried though (not counting Capstan which is technically now made by them).

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. cavendish

cavendish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't seem to get it either. Now Captain Crap or Barf-em Riff, just looking at those makes my tongue burn like I ate a Jolokia Pepper! Some people are sensitive to certain ingredients due to the make up of our chemistry. What bites one may not bite another. Whenever I'm thinking of trying a new blend I ask around and read reviews and if possible I get a little sample in my order to see what it's like so I'm not wasting my money.

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get no bite from ODF or their Navy Flake. I get bite real bad from Rattray and McClelland VA's because of the red virginia's in them.

Harris
    Posted 6 years ago #
  16. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bought some McB Roll Cake the other day at my B&M, since I had never tried it. And, hey, I'm trying to spread out my reach for different tastes these days.

First bowl of the pretty coins was in a meer. Whanga! After a bowl, I thought my tongue had been attacked by fire ants. I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the tin. Don't think I'm gonna do that again, though.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 6 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

MacBaren is one of my favorite brands. I've tried the Scottish mixture, Plumcake, Vintage Syrian and Burley London. They smoke differently than other tobaccos and I attribute this to the unique cut. All of the above (except the Vintage Syrian) are pressed cakes cut into strips, and I think that this cut requires slower smoking.

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First Mc Baren a couple days ago, Plumcake, had 4 bowls no bite, damn fine tobbaco.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 6 years ago #
  19. pipebow88

pipebow88

Login to Send PM

The only Mac Baren I have smoked is the "Roll Cake". My dad found an old tin of my grandfathers and it was roll cake. I bought a tin and have been smoking it quite a lot with no bite whatsoever. I love this stuff, some fine tobacco.
    B

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

When one takes away the physical problems with a particular type of leaf (those who can't smoke red virginias, for example), I have to think that a lot of the "Macbite" thing is a problem with the puffer -- improper cadence, smoking too fast, etc. -- IOW, less than stellar technique.

I see it all the time in the reviews -- a lot of the Mac Baren's blends contain virginia, often a lot of virginia. Virginia, more than any other leaf, can bite when not smoked correctly.

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ditto on the Dark Twist roll cake which bites like a crocodile. It is a tasty blend that I will continue to smoke hoping to learn that magical cadence. Never had a problem with the other blends. Most of the negative monikers such as "Macbite" (MacBaren) are seldom true for an entire line of tobacco.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 6 years ago #
  22. cavendish

cavendish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First Mc Baren a couple days ago, Plumcake, had 4 bowls no bite, damn fine tobbaco.

Plumcake is a great blend. I have some on hand but I really don't favor the latakia blends when it's hot out.

Posted 6 years ago #
  23. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tennsmoker, I just picked up some Roll Cake last week. I hope I don't have the same experience as you! I hope my experience is more like pipebow88's! The tin I picked up has two years of age on it just on the shelf.

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. werdna

werdna

Login to Send PM

I'm just getting started with MacB blends, so I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject. I do enjoy Burley London Blend, after reading Kevin's article on it recently, and HH Mature Virginia. I find drying the Mature Virginia a bit improves the smokability and adds flavor without bite. BLB does need to be smoked s-l-o-w-l-e-y to avoid any bite.

I've tried enjoying Virginia #1, but I can't seem to find the balance on that blend. It bites me and seems harsh, and I don't like the hay smell when I open the tin. I have 2/3 of the thin left, and I've decided to give it more time to age, to see if that helps. It may just be my tastes, as so many others enjoy it so much, but I'll keep at it. I'll have to try other VA blends to learn more about that tobacco, and be able to compare with VA #1.

I'm looking forward to trying other recommended MacB blends from this thread.

Andrew

And to all a good night.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  25. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

7 Seas Regular is always in my rotation, as well as their Mixture Scottish. Had bite problems at first with the 7 Seas but I attribute that to it being one of my first tobaccos as a new pipe smoker. A few months experience and now I can smoke both with no bite whatsoever.

-Home At Sea
    Posted 6 years ago #
  26. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Werdna, I really enjoy BLB as well. You may want to give some more of their burleys a go or at least their va/bur blends. I recommend Navy Mixture and Navy Flake.

Posted 6 years ago #
  27. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke a lot of MacBaren blends, and as long as I smoke at a moderate pace I've never had a problem. The "MacBite" consensus on tobaccoreviews.com always puzzled me.

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tkcolo, paulie66scandinavian, cigrmaster, acidpox, alaskanpiper, anthonyrosenthal74, greeneyes, jiminks, glassjapan, tbradsim1, spartacus, madox07, mrenglish, danimalia