PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I listed and sold this GBD 9438 Super Flame in July. I had it listed for $189 I think (I can't fine any remnants of my ad). Treasurepipes offered me $145, which I accepted.
He just resold it for $153. He had it listed as an "8438", perhaps that limited his exposure.

I thought my pictures were better...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GBD-SUPER-FLAME-8438-PIPE-CHUBBY/302491892423?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
s-l1600.jpg

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
I find selling on eBay a hit or miss game. I rather sell hoping my old pipe can find a good new home. Not for profit but passing it on to new hands

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've never seen any reference to a Flame Grain GBD finish. I thought it was one-of-a-kind, but a guy who worked for SmokingPipes had one at a Richmond show a few years ago. It has all the pre-Cadogan characteristics, but the full-width stem, which some say was Cadogan era (Mike Hagley stood by that). The SmokingPipes guy said he bought his from the original owner, who bought it new in 1980, so that would be at the end of the pre-Cadogan era. GBD and Comoy's definitely came out with a number of undocumented finishes, once into the Cadogan era. For smoking, I prefer the tapered stem, so there was no use letting it sit. I'm struggling a bit keeping up with my vulcanite stemmed pipes and am slowly thinning the herd a bit.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
For smoking, I prefer the tapered stem, so there was no use letting it sit.
Mr. Jones, if you do not mind a stupid question: why do you prefer the tapered stem? Is it for mouthfit qualities or smoking qualities?

Status
Not open for further replies.