I Do Not Have Cancer

(49 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jazzlover
  • Latest reply from hunterwold1
  1. jazzlover

jazzlover

Login to Send PM

Hi Fellow Puffers:

I just came back from an oral cancer screening and the dentist who examined me determined that I do NOT have oral cancer. He inspected my mouth both with and without a Vizilite device and quickly pronounced me cancer free.

He thinks the white patches on my tongue that I described in previous posts were caused by me accidentally chewing on it (which is a bit confusing because I don't remember doing that).

I asked him if there's a safe way to smoke a pipe. He said the risk of mouth cancer is very low as long as I don't constantly hold the pipe in my mouth, something I don't do. Surprisingly, he also admitted to occasionally smoking cigars.

I paid out of pocket rather than using insurance so that I could make an appointment sooner. I was pleasantly surprised by the relatively low price of $40 but that's because a friend of mine who works with this dentist gave me a discount card. Without the card I would have paid $65.

Thank you to all of you who had kind words of support. However, I noticed some criticized me simply for bringing up the subject. So, for you critical dudes, I have a tip: When a man says he's afraid he might have cancer, the only appropriate response is to offer moral support. Doing anything else is callous and inconsiderate.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. irish

Gary

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats!! That is outstanding news. Glad to hear everything checked out ok for you. Now go get your pipe and get back to smoking and enjoying !

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm happy to hear that you don't have cancer. It's a horrible disease. Keep having those check ups.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. puffdoggie

puffdoggie

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear the good news, Jazzy! It never hurts to check. At my 6 month checkup/cleanings the dental tech & the dentist give my mouth the once over for any suspicious signs. Happy puffin',

Dave

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a cancer survivor of 15 yrs I am so happy for you. Keep the periodic checkups going.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear the good news. You must be very relieved.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats, that is fantastic news.

However, I noticed some criticized me simply for bringing up the subject.

Yeah, this place is full of uncaring, insensitive bastards. I love 'em all though. We can't all be Albert Schweitzer or Mother Teresa - and if we could be, those two wouldn't be famous.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear you got a clean bill of health! I know sometimes we worry about our "hobby", and it's effect on our health, as that's all the tobacco pundits seem to talk about. I personally feel that used in moderation, smoking a pipe isn't a real big worry to me. It's good to be careful, and aware though, and I feel you did the right thing. So smile and carry on!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck I didn't realize I was insensitive until you pointed it out how will I manage! Jazzlover glad your ok, and thanks for pointing out how we should respond in the future. I am relieved I won't need to think for myself. Does this mean your estate Dunhills are no longer clearance priced?

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's very good news. 65 bucks seems a very small price to pay for piece of mind,$40.00 is amazing! Maybe you're a nocturnal tongue chewer?

Mike S.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

congrats, enjoy your celebration bowl.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad you're alright. Been through the cancer battle with my favorite aunt, 2 more aunts, my grandmothers, my mother and my wife so I am glad of anybody who is spared it.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jazz

Great news and I'm sure you are relieved

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm as sarcastic as anyone and that a good cut and crack makes me laugh.

Somehow, a person who is worried about cancer just doesn't seem funny or witty to me and wise cracks don't seem to fit the occasion

But, that's just me

Allan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm glad it was worth it for you, I'm also a chronic tongue biter, I apparently bite so hard that I get these problems even through a mouthguard at night, just from the pressure and my teeth are so sharp, I get it good a few times during the day usually as well.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2 Great Big Thumbs Way Up!!!!!!

Kent

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey awesome news!

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are times, like these, that I simply do not know how to act properly. Would you mind if I drop you a line every now and then and ask for some guidance?

Oh, wait...you've already told me exactly how I should respond to you. Silly me.

Never mind.

(oh, and congrats on the clean bill of health. I told you that it might be syphilis).

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did you use to be a dog? Excuse me if I have you confused. I'm glad that it was just a tongue bite. I do that too. I swish with the hydrogen peroxide mouth wash and carry on.

Yeh, I love this forum, but you have to have thick skin. I've gotten my share of snarks here too, mostly my own fault though. But, I've come to enjoy the snarks as much as the useful stuff. It keeps life interesting.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. irishjedi

irishjedi

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear you're ok!!:)

Mike

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. decigar

decigar

Login to Send PM

Glad ur ok, i dont think people criticized you for bringing up the topic. However self diagnosis via the internet might get you labeled the boy who cried syphilis =) so does this mean ur not gonna sell all ur pipes at a huge discount???

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" - Albert Einstein
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonderful news--so glad to hear you're ok.

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. andypandy

andypandy

Login to Send PM

Good for you.

I checked out a bump on my lip recently myself and I got the biopsy results giving me the all clear today so I know how unfunny it is to worry, needlessly or not, about cancer.

I also agree that the critics/snarkers could have shown a little more restraint. Consideration and manners aren't dirty words.

Anders Sandum
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good show, as the Brits say. Stay healthy.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear of the good prognosis.
    Mike Stanley and Eric might be on to something, I grind my teeth in my sleep, and a mouth guard made by my dentist (drug store ones are junk IMO), serves double duty as ridding me of snoring.

I am as big a joker as the next guy, but someone suspecting cancer isn't the person to play the part of jester with.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am as big a joker as the next guy, but someone suspecting cancer isn't the person to play the part of jester with.

I echo this view completely. I have had a festering, silver-dollar size blister on my ass for the last several weeks and, up until a couple of days ago, I was sure it was the beginning of leprosy. I was anxiously watching my various appendages to ensure that they remained attached. I felt like I was Atlas, carrying the weight of the world. Luckily, a recent visit to the doctor confirmed that it was nothing more than a mere wart and (a) was not leprosy, and (b) was in no way pipe-related. I can't tell you how relieved I was. It was no laughing matter.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh dear Lord Peck...

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck: I read it . . . 9 minutes ago and, and . . . I'm still not back in full control.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I just do not understand how someone shares that kind of information with a bunch of, for all intents and purposes, strangers.

I understand why Peck does it, it's obvious that he's just missing a couple of filters, and I'm not referring to his pipes.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I was anxiously watching my various appendages to ensure that they remained attached.

So opposing counsel is being denied a chance to pick a peck appendage?

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. txbeerboy

txbeerboy

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry but I can't help it ! I bet the doctor see a lot of this mess this time of year. Bunch of northern boys sticking their tongues to ski lift seats and mess up there.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As the leper said to the prostitute, "Keep the tip."

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 5 years ago #
  32. txbeerboy

txbeerboy

Login to Send PM

fnord

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad things checked out well for you. Make sure you see your dentist regularly.

As a pipe and cigar smoker I make sure I get into the dentist at least twice a year and sometimes go 3 times a year. I don't know if I've ever told my dentist I smoke pipes and cigars, but he's really good so if he saw anything that would be cause for concern he'd say something right away.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. pipeherman

pipeherman

Login to Send PM

Glad it worked out. I'll be glad to see a lack of cancer related threads again.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry but I can't help it ! I bet the doctor see a lot of this mess this time of year. Bunch of northern boys sticking their tongues to ski lift seats and mess up there.

Bout the same number as the southern boys pissing on an electric fence...:)

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This morning, my wife rolled over in bed, glanced at me with her eyes half-opened and said "you look like you've been run over by a truck".

So I Googled "run over by a truck" and it doesn't look good. Most people die when they get run over by a truck. So I'm thinking, "how did I get run over by a truck?" and all that I can come up with is that I was smoking a pipe when it happened, and enjoying it so much, that I didn't realize that I'd been run over by a truck.

My hair is a mess, and I'm lying flat on my back, just like the pictures on Google.

I'm really worried now.

Has anyone here ever been run over by a truck? Did it go away on its own, or should I think about seeing someone about it? I have time in March, if I can get an appointment.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update jazzlover - that's excellent news.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats on the good news!

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Allen been there done that, you made me giggle and I haven't done that in years, Wood know the feeling, picked a fight with a very big Marine, he turned me everyway but loose, load up another bowl, chug some strong black coffee and the world will be better for you.

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. jazzlover

jazzlover

Login to Send PM

Once again, thanks for the kind words guys.

Regarding my pipes: I'm going try reintegrating puffing back into my life in the healthiest way possible without it causing me anxiety. If I can't, I'll be putting them up for sale along with some tobacco, so watch this space.

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think Peck (like myself to be honest), found some humor only because it seemed to be a real case of hypochondria....I mean- who goes on the internet and does their own research for something as serious as cancer, to the point where they ABSOLUTELY convince themselves they have it? As a reference, my brother is a Professor of Oncology at Stanford, my parents are both doctors, and I wouldn't even ask THEM! I go to my own personal doctor...as a kid, I wouldn't even let my dad give me stitches....that's my dad. Trusting the internet, or frankly a bunch of pipe smoking hooligans for advice? I found it humorous, sorry.

I don't know who said it, but I'd rather die from 50 years of pleasure than a broken heart, and giving up my pipe would break my heart. If it worries you, even in the slightest, I suggest you quit, and give that advice to anyone.

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. pipeherman

pipeherman

Login to Send PM

I don't know who said it, but I'd rather die from 50 years of pleasure than a broken heart, and giving up my pipe would break my heart. If it worries you, even in the slightest, I suggest you quit, and give that advice to anyone.

Sounds like solid advice.

I personally would prefer not to see cancer related threads on a pro-pipe forum. I'm not sure about anyone else here, but I hear plenty about that on Television and from random uninformed strangers. Lets try not shit where we eat.

Its good that you don't have cancer, perhaps it would have been better if you didn't mention the big C until it was proven to be true, which it thankfully wasn't.

Posted 5 years ago #
  43. murf

murf

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear you're ok. Chewing on your tongue might be possible in your sleep, as others have stated. I myself got my tooth chipped (good story behind that), and in the mornings I would wake up with a swollen tongue. Figured after awhile that my tongue was pushing up against and running over the chip in my tooth. It's since smoothed out, but I still like to make sure it's there.

And I've gotten inflamed tastebuds before. They get kinda white. sucks when they rub up against a tooth

Posted 5 years ago #
  44. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That must be a load off your shoulders! I'm glad you don't have cancer!

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 5 years ago #
  45. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to know you're OK.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  46. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, I take a few days off and look what I come back to.

Jazz, I am very glad you are ok. Next time you might want to think twice about diagnosing yourself and also asking a bunch of pipe junkie degenerates for information on cancer. Most of us have chosen the pipe over our health and could care less if we die from it.

peck, you insensitive bastard, how dare you poke fun at someone else's fears, your inhumanity is now transparent for all to see, I am aghast at how cruel you really are. I actually looked up leukoplakia because I thought it was a dog disease, what a waste of time you put me through.lol

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  47. yeperdo

yeperdo

Login to Send PM

Great news! Happy to hear it! Here is a great phrase to live by " when in doubt find out " You were wise to do what you did.
    Now enjoy a bowl with a cancer free mind! Amen!

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. jeepnewbie

jeepnewbie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good to hear you don't have it. It runs high in my family on my dad's and my mom's side. I highly doubt pipes will be my downfall, I wouldn't let it bother you. Worrying over stuff isn't a good thing to focus on. Well good luck and happy puffing!

"Keep it Classy"
    Posted 5 years ago #
  49. hunterwold1

hunterwold1

Login to Send PM

Glad for your good news!

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lestrout, ajohnb, scrumpyjack, weezell, canadianpuffer, jiminks, sablebrush52, dmcmtk, chilllucky, brl25, marc75, pipesinperu, pepesdad1