PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I have never smoked cigarettes. However I do smoke a Hookah every now and again and definitely get blasted with the nicotine however after seeing reviews about Dunhill Royal Yacht and Peterson Irish Flake I was afraid to try them because of what people said about the amount of Nicotine in them. I ended getting a few tins of each but I do not get the effect that people described. Any reason why?

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
There are many reasons why you might feel the nicotine. If you smoke very slowly, for instance, you might be getting it in such small doses and spread over such a long period of time that you don't feel it. Another reason, of course, might just be that you're not very sensitive to nicotine. Also, the absorbing nicotine is supposedly highly dependent on the PH of both the smoke and your mouth. It might be that, say, drinking some orange juice with you pipe might up the amount you absorb.
I don't feel that Royal Yacht is all that powerful, but I'm surprised you didn't at least feel a tingle from Irish Flake. Of course, I don't consider either of them to be real heavy hitters. The blends that have made me (a nicotine addict of the first order) a bit queasy are the two Dark Flake iterations from GH, Coniston Cut Plug, 1782, and Billy Budd (some people don't find Billy Budd too strong, but it knocks me on my butt). You could also try Old Joe Krantz, which is my favorite "all day" smoke. Some guys feel it's overwhelmingly strong, but I think it's perfect.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
There are many reasons why you might feel the nicotine. If you smoke very slowly, for instance, you might be getting it in such small doses and spread over such a long period of time that you don't feel it. Another reason, of course, might just be that you're not very sensitive to nicotine. Also, the absorbing nicotine is supposedly highly dependent on the PH of both the smoke and your mouth. It might be that, say, drinking some orange juice with you pipe might up the amount you absorb.
I don't feel that Royal Yacht is all that powerful, but I'm surprised you didn't at least feel a tingle from Irish Flake. Of course, I don't consider either of them to be real heavy hitters. The blends that have made me (a nicotine addict of the first order) a bit queasy are the two Dark Flake iterations from GH, Coniston Cut Plug, 1782, and Billy Budd (some people don't find Billy Budd too strong, but it knocks me on my butt). You could also try Old Joe Krantz, which is my favorite "all day" smoke. Some guys feel it's overwhelmingly strong, but I think it's perfect.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Sorry over my head now. Why would drinking somthing like orange juice make my body absorb more of the nicotine?
Thanks for the recommendations..

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I think many of us aren't looking for the blasting that other forms of tobacco consumption can cause. Even when I've smoked a high nic blend like 1792 the feeling is quite different from a strong cigar. For me cigars are akin to coffee or espresso, they hit you fast give you a bit of a buzz and then its gone and you want more. Pipes are like tea. The nic gives you a pleasant feeling of relaxation and well-being. One can have too much caffeine from tea, but the feeling is very different from a coffee.
That being said, are you smoking all the way to the bottom of the bowl? I feel that the last third of the pipe is often the strongest and even blends I think of as mild can surprise me at the bottom of the bowl.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I tend to have a problem with the last 1/3 of the bowl its either really moist or tastes like crap. However today I periodically ran a pipe cleaner through the stem and this prevented this problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I smoke a bowl down too long, I get more burn and bite, but no more nicotine. I think people respond to

nicotine over a wide range, some a lot and others almost none. I think it is your nicotine receptors, the

little areas on your brain cell walls that carry the nicotine "message" to the inside of the cell and give the

neurological effect, that either react or don't. My mom always liked to smoke cigarettes for the dramatic

gestures they provided. See the old movies to get the idea how women could pose with cigarettes. But

she just didn't get much from nicotine, or at all habituated. So often, her packs of cigarettes went stale.

Jul 12, 2011
Pack a big ol bowl (group 5 or 6) of SG 1792 or Bracken and finish

to the bottom, when you get up from the floor, let us all know how

that Nic hit feels ;-)
All kiddin aside, some of us have higher tolerances for Lady Nic,

and I for one like it when she rides me hard ;-)

Aug 14, 2012
Good suggestion from the smokindragon. A #6 Dunhill with Royal Yacht kicks my butt if smoked all the way. But strangely, I never felt 1792 is as strong. How strange that we all react so differently.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I'm the same way. I enjoy hookah now and then, and I definitely feel the nicotine more then with a pipe. I think part of it is you are smoking longer. Hookah for me generally lasts an hour or so. Whereas a pipe, depending on bowl size, lasts 45 minutes or so with my largest bowl pipe.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Nicotine for me is a funny mistress. Some of the infamous blends like Nightcap dont "buzz" me but some of my lighter blends will every once in awhile.I guess it depends on your personal chemistry more than anything.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you are having trouble smoking to the bottom, make sure your tobacco is properly dried, you are packing it not too loose or too hard. You should check the draw before lighting and it should feel like sipping through a straw, you want some resistance. Also you need to dump ash when your pipe goes out. When it goes out take the pick end of your tamper and lightly stir it, then tilt the bowl carefully and let the ash fall out. Tamp and then light and do that when necessary.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
To me it varies depending on the person. I smoked a bowl of Peterson irish flake the several said was a heavy hitter. I didn't feel a thing. I quit dipping in december, but my heavy use of copenhagen for 6 years may have had some effect on that too. I don't smoke a pipe for nicotine, just the flavor and some time to relax.

B

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
Irish Flake doesn't do it for me either. Hal O' the Wind is new in my rotation and has a hefty nicotine content. I really enjoy it.

popsmusix

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
I just finished my first bowl of C&D's Billy Budd and it was a huge nic hit for me. It tasted like I stuck a cigar in my bowl and let it rip. I will put this in a jar and let it settle a bit. Good greif, I have to lay down now.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Once in awhile with a heavy nic tobacco I get the hiccups. I just swallow water several times and it goes away. The only other thing I feel is after I smoke a heavy nic blend I go to bed and I am out. That's why I smoke a heavy nic blend before bed.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
The amount of nicotine one gets from hookah and sheesha are astronomical. Plus, a bowl can last up to two hours. Also with hookah, every puff is a long, slow, deep inhale.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
As a former 2+ pack a day cigarette smoker, I've yet to get anything even close from a pipe or cigar. I think I "feel" it sometimes in the form of a headache, but that's about it.
I have noticed that the nic gets a lot more mention in reviews etc...than it ever did 10 years ago. Not sure why that is.

gnolomweb

Lurker
May 30, 2013
I smoke cigarettes, Marlboro menthol smooth to be exact. I enjoy a high nicotine content most of the time to my pipe smokes. After reading many reviews and trying many blends. I have found that "full flavored" tins have the most flavor+nicotine but are, however, very mild in Vitamin N (Peterson's Irish Flake and various Navy Flakes etc)
While offering a slight nicotine infusment to my blood steam and a comfortable calm, great flavor and Nicotine aren't found hand and hand. To avert this, there are a few things I have done.

#1 Smoke a cig before enjoying a flavorful bowl.

#2 5 Brothers is a shag cut tobacco sold under "pipe" variety but works better as RYO. I mix this with my blends (1/3 5bro to 2/3 good baccy) While the 5Bros baccy doesn't have good flavor, it does add cig quality Nic hit.

#3 When packing a pipe; pack bottom 3/4 with good tobacco and top 1/4 with cig tobacco pulled out from your favorite smoke (or5bros). When smoking the top 1/4 inhale (don't sip) and get the full Vit N. Then when you reach your flavorfull tobacco, sip and smoke with good technique and appreciate the buzz and the flavor.
I use each of these techniques in different situations what ever fits the bill.

(also note worthy: Filters on cigs let tobacco smoke go deeper into your lungs, letting the nic hit get to you quicker)

thuber88

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2013
+1 for 1792, but while its is nice and strong, its not going to hit you like a really strong cigar smoked down to a stub

Status
Not open for further replies.