PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe28

Lurker
Apr 13, 2016
I dunno HOW this happened.....

I have a few month old Peterson Calabash small pipe, (my first purchase, which makes it worse), that I use as my "fly fishing pipe".

I've had it out a good dozen times, always survived the trip and gave me extra pleasure of a relaxing smoke when I'm arse deep in water chasing all the trout away from me.

Perfect size and weight to hold in my mouth all the while.

I came home last night, pulled it out of my pocket to clean and the bowl stem is cracked!

It's smokeable, but.....

Can I expoy the crack or glue or.......

Joe

Still doing stupid things daily!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I know that everyone here is obviously not a Christian, but the is the second thread I have seen recently with some brutal offensive language. This seems to be tolerated and possibly even endorsed. Regardless, Jesus, is my Lord and Savior. How about Jew H. Jew or Buddha H. Buddha or Mohammed H. Mohammed or satan h. satan. If we are going to P.C. the forum, why let Christian slurs get a 100% pass?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
^^^ Agree that is not offensive. How about "I ****-down the seller." I know, you are probably cool with anti-semitism. But, I have a problem with Christian slurs and anti-semitism. I just ***-rigged my truck.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
the bowl stem is cracked!

If you mean the briar, I'd recommend a band. If you have a trusted pipe repair guy, he can do it for you. A hose clamp also works reasonably well
@jackswilling -- As a Christian myself, I personally worry more about my own actions and words rather than taking the time to be offended by others.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah okay that crosses a line. I'm a big believer in the importance of intent. I'd never infringe on free speech, but would express my displeasure as you have done. I'm certain he meant no offense.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I personally worry more about my own actions and words rather than taking the time to be offended by others."
Me too. You would be surprised. Well then, let's let it rip. I don't have a problem with a free-for-all. Just not one where only Christian slurs are tolerated.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would send the pipe for professional repair. Being your first pipe, probably lots of sentimental value. Mike Meyers at Walker Briar Repair is a miracle worker.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Christian here. Never thought of this kind of thing as "offensive" in the sense of making Christians feel bad about themselves as a group. Many swears are what they are precisely because they're profane or blasphemous. The reason they work at all is that we all live in a society/culture that emerged from Christian societies/cultures. You can use Buddha something something if you want, but it won't have the same resonance as "*** dammit!" or whatever. "***!" is blasphemous, but it isn't a slur against Christians.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
As for the pipe, if the stem will stay in it, I'd just keep using it. If it won't, I'd just buy a new one -- a repair would cost 40-50 bucks and would add some weight to the pipe.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Just for the record, I am with jackswilling on this. As a Christian, I personally found the OP's Jesus remark offensive and would never offer such a euphemism that I knew would offend others. The OP probably just didn't know that it would.

May 4, 2015
There is an objective difference between using "Jesus Christ" as an expletive and the blatant racism you used as a counter-example.
I believe we have a duty to acknowledge other's beliefs, but no obligation to hold them in the same reverence. Using the Lord's name in vain is a practice you disagree with, not one that anyone else should be expected to by default, especially on a public forum.
Obviously, no malice was intended by the OP against your religion.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"...it isn't a slur against Christians"
I have to agree it is not a slur against Christians, but it is offensive, way offensive. Bad taste and bad form. I guess it is to be endured.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
The fact that you take it fishing, suffering the rigors of pocket travel and chancing a drop in the lake, its apparent that this is not a "showpiece", but a tool. I actually applaud this. I have a Ser Jacopo Coral Dot that is a daily smoker and travels in the same blazer pocket as my keys and old-boy lighter.
That being said, I would most likely use a hose clamp over the crack. Cut the clamp down to precisely the same diameter of the shaft, super glue the briar, wraps the clamp around (with the joint under down, unseen) and rubber band the clamp tight until it dries. Steampunk it :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe repair by a professional (unless you do this regularly) is the answer on the pipe. I agree, let's not use religious language "in vain." I know this is common in conversation, to sound rough and ready, or salty, or whatever. And I do not necessarily correct people who let fly in the stream of conversation. But in a public Forum that includes people of many religious and cultural stripes, let's keep the Forums open, civil, and welcoming. It costs us nothing to edit out what is taken as religious slurs by some -- and that includes all religions, not just majority faiths.
For a pocket pipe, I prefer a med/small briar with a fairly thick bent stem. If you mostly fish, I'd float test it, and even tape a little cork on there if there's any doubt. But the thick stem will survive more stress than average. Best luck.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I know that everyone here is obviously not a Christian, but the is the second thread I have seen recently with some brutal offensive language.
I think that's REALLY a stretch to call the OPs words brutal offensive language.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
In an attempt to help turn this thread back on track; Joe, if you really like that pipe I think you should send it to one of the really good pipe repairmen we have in this hobby (several are actually members of this forum). They all charge very moderate prices and I bet you'd get the pipe back in such a condition that you'd never know it had been cracked. If you need any recommendations regarding pipe repairmen, just send me either a private pm or email me directly at pipestud@aol.com and I'll be happy to get the info to you.
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.