PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
My new rusticated Dublin; about 6 or 7 smokes in, I didn't realize it was hot, and I noticed the side of the bowl smoking... it's a little blackened on the side but still salvagable. Will this problem accelerate into a full burnout?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Only 6 or 7 smokes and the outside of the bowl was smoking? There must have been a fissure in the briar (hidden probably). You'd have to be a ridiculously careless smoker to do that much damage to solid briar after just a few smokes.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
+2 on the fishy wood. I was thinking to myself, what the hell are they lighting with a blow torch..Best of luck getting it replaced..

Oct 12, 2014
Hidden flaw in the briar, send it back. I'm sure SP.com will help you out. There is no way you could burn out that fast under normal use. I've also never done the 1/2 3/4 full thing either and I've never had a burn out..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rest assured this is a rare problem. I've broken in pipes slowly and carefully, and I've broken them

in rough and ready, puff and go, and I've never had this. I don't think it's anything you did, just a

bad piece of briar. I'd go for a warranty exchange if possible. Otherwise, accept a few more smokes,

and be careful of the fire hazard. Keep a bucket nearby if it goes down in flames.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Don't blame yourself, you did nothing wrong to cause the pipe to fail. It had to be a manufacturing defect that should have been caught during inspection before releasing that pipe from production. Damn shoddy workmanship if you ask me.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Were you smoking Paladin or some other Cherry blend? I hear they tend to burn awfully hot? :wink:
If the road had no turns, bumps or hills, we'd all fall asleep at the wheel.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
This brings a whole new meaning to "smoking" a pipe, doesn't it?
Bloody oath mate, almost like me when I was a teen and heard about smoking grass for the first time, I had some rolling papers so I went out back and found some dried out grass and rolled it into a smoke, one puff and I was coughing my guts up for about an hour. I felt a reel fool when I found out what grass was in reference to... lol

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
This happened to me once me at a slow smoking competition. I completely burnt the bottom of the bowl, but I came out 7th in the competition. I did not care though as the pipe given to me was only meant for the event, but I would've loved to keep it as a memento.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
That's horrible. It's never happened to me yet (most of my pipes are estate, so the imperfections would have been found by the previous owner) but I've heard of it a time or two.

I would definitely send it back after contacting smokingpipes. I have heard of the manufacturers being a bit snooty when this sort of thing happens but I'm sure SP will help you out if all else fails.

Good luck!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Call or online chat with SP, their customer service is amazing and they will take care of you. Bad pieces of briar happen, especially with the notorious quality control issues with Peterson's. This one probably just slipped through the cracks. Or it could have just been undetectable and unforeseen, as this sometimes happens. They should be more than willing to make it right. And by "they" i mean SP or Peterson. Let us know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.