Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

I Can't Wait....

(11 posts)
  1. troyniss

troyniss

Login to Send PM

...until my stash of GL Pease blends become as rare as Esoterica, specifically my never ending TAD of Jack Knife Plug.

Maybe 5,10,30 years I'll have to wait. But when the time comes, you will all be sorry!

What's your most stocked blend that hypothetically will be as rare as a nun in a strip club?

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Maybe 5,10,30 years I'll have to wait. But when the time comes, you will all be sorry!

In that time the FDA's deeming will have done away with many blends and the WHO will take care of the rest. 300+ pounds in my closet and enough McClelland tobacco to last me a lifetime, I would say that in that time most blends currently available will be a rarity.

Keep buying JackKnife Plug as it's on the FDA's chopping block since it was introduced after 2007.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. troyniss

troyniss

Login to Send PM

OOF!

Nice cellar you have there. I have one day to get to that amount. Sheesh, I could only bench press 220lbs during my prime.

Wanna split with one tin for Christmas Cheer anytime soon?

Regardless, is it past 2007 that the FDA is requiring new regulations or something? I'm a frequent user of e-cigarettes/vaporizers when I can't smoke my pipe. AFAIK, flavor bans are incoming and any introduction of product past the threshold year of 2007 is going to have to submit new patents or the other. I'm guessing this is the same for the tobacco industry.

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I'm an underachiever, I probably don't have more than 5 tins of anything!

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 3 months ago #
  5. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Regardless, is it past 2007 that the FDA is requiring new regulations or something?

Post 2007 blends are required to be submitted for content deeming costing many thousands per blend. Many favorites will be disappearing. Thankfully, I've been smoking many of my favorites for decades.

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. troyniss

troyniss

Login to Send PM

I also fancy Black Frigate. I have only 2 lbs at the moment. Along with JKP, I also purchase it in equal quantity.

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

One of those metal tins will be 20 years old this September. May crack it open.

Posted 3 months ago #
  8. troyniss

troyniss

Login to Send PM

One of those metal tins will be 20 years old this September. May crack it open.

I enjoy a fresh tin of BF as well, but 20 years!?! Make sure to create a topic of that glorious moment in a few months. What's the oldest you've smoked as of today?

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McClellands isn't gone. It just moved to Embers' place.

Posted 3 months ago #
  10. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

What's the oldest you've smoked as of today?

I had some forty year old Plum Cake back in 2002.

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. samw74

samw74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found this information on the GL Pease website:

Blends produced after the Deeming Date

I've been asked many times which of my blends are subject to future regulation, now that the new FDA have stuck their regulatory noses into our little corner of the world. Basically, anything not already in production on the so-called deeming date of 15 March 2007 will have to be demonstrated to be "substantially equivalent" to those made previously. It's unclear whether or not we'll be able to navigate our way through the flaming hoops put in our path, but the following blends are at risk, and may disappear in a couple years. I'll keep you advised as we get closer to what I consider the apocalypse for these blends, many of which are among my own personal faves. This will also be updated on the Unabridged List as we get closer to FD-day.
    Embarcadero
    Union Square
    Maltese Falcon
    The Virginia Cream
    Key Largo
    The entire Old London Series
    The entire New World Collection

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   krizzose, pianopuffer, mossdoug, pipeanddrum, frankrem, dontbeaburleyman, yuda, brooklynpiper, trouttimes, alaskanpiper, jpmcwjr, prndl, tolkienfan, ukbob