PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
So today I ended up back down in Gainesville GA at my go to tobacco shop. The owner let me sample some Peter Stokkebye - Pistachio (No.27)in the store. I really enjoyed it, very smooth with a nutty taste when sipped so I got ziplock bag full of that, and ended up with two other new tobacco's I have not yet tried. The 1st being Erik Stokkebye - 4th Generation 1855, and Samuel Gawith brown #4 kendal twist. I tried the ES 1855 and it was a very strong nice tasting tobacco that wasn't doused in flavors but just what to me tasted like a sweet aftertaste of tobacco. It was a nice change of pace and burned very slow and even. Ok now getting to the nitty gritty. I opened the the Kendal Twist 8O and was like ummmm there is a dang turd in my tobacco box :rofl: someones having a laugh over there in England right now. Anyway. I realized how it was setup and upon first inspection realized that it was entirely to wet to smoke, but I tried anyway and it wouldnt stay lit no matter how hard I tried. So I'm going to let it dry out for a few months and cut it into dime size peices and rub it out than smoke it.

10463007_10152118493856712_1758165034570995488_n.jpg

10420179_10152118493851712_1017613579274169570_n.jpg

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Oh and I got a pipe lighter today! YAY no more Bic lighters!!! I wish it was a little less humid outside right now. Oh well might go smoke some anyway lol.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Wow. Just plain wow.
I have always said that in America one could put dog turds in a cleverly designed and attractive package and sell lots of them.
This proves it...
Rope tobacco = dog turd?

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
visually that is what came to mind when I first opened the tin. :mrgreen:

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
visually that is what came to mind when I first opened the tin. :mrgreen:

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
As much time as you're spending at that B&M, maybe you should just hit them up for a summer job there. :lol:
Thank God there aren't any around here.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
I haven't tried any twists or rope yet, and don't imagine I will anytime soon, what with all the other selections available to choose from, and I have quite a diversity of blends anyway. I've got some Condor thanks to Condorlover, and I think that is the strongest I will be trying for some time to come. Good luck on your experience with that twist, Carl

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
ranger, man I'd go broke working at a baccy shop lol. Taste testing everything smoking all the time.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
david, from what I've seen I'm gonna have to let that rope dry out... it looks and smells like a dang cigar, I've seen a few reviews and I've heard its strooooong. So we will see I'll let that baby dry out a big and cut her up and see how it all rolls.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Ropes are a world all of their own. If you don't like strong blends, forget them.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Hey yall I for real looked around trying to find Smittys but I couldnt find it anywhere where google maps said it was. I tried calling the number and no answer? The place I've been going to is called

Discount Tobacco Depot 350 Shallowford Rd NW, Gainesville, GA 30504(678) 450-8182

They sell cigars and all kinds of cigarettes and those vapor things but have a section for pipe smoking. They did have a bunch of random tins of stuff till I bought it all up lol. They carry dunnhill and Altaldis (sutliff) tobacco. I got some pistachio Stokkebey today from them also. They are an Indian family that run it. Always very pleasant to me.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
KCVET, is there a specific way to prepare rope tobacco? Or should I just let it dry and cut it into dimes like how 3nuns is prepared?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, go slow with the rope. I bet it will be terrific, but get to know it as you go. Don't dive in with an extra

large bowl. Or that's how I'd go at it, small bowl, slow smoke.

owen

May 28, 2014
Hi Guys I recently bought a Gawith Hogarth Kendall black pigtail twist,which I have been smoking and have to say it is like nothing else. After the first bowl I could not get up off the floor, it was tremendously strong but had a lovely full flavour it did not feel in the mouth like any other tobacco I have tried. I smoked it a bit wet and also very dry. I have also added some to my scraps blend and it goes really well in this adding some body.
owen

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Owen how did you go about drying it out and prepping it? Did you cut it into disks and let it dry?

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
MSO I have a small peterson 317 that sounds like it will fit the bill perfectly!

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Cleaned up the cabinet today polished the bands on the peter's and found a nice pewter tray for drying my tobacco out on.

10441956_10152120053391712_2249929970811500821_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.