PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettyinpink648

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
I am a fairly new smoker. I've tried Captain Black Cherry, Boswell Berry Cobbler, Piper Pleasure and No Bite Delight. Everyone around me says they smell wonderful. My problem is when I smoke Icannot smell the aroma myself nor can I taste the flavors in the tobacco. Is this common? What am I doing wrong?

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Welcome to the world of aromatics! You're not doing anything wrong. Thats just the way some (most) are. There are a few that do taste the way they smell. As I mentioned in another thread, Stokkebye Dansk Black and Golden Dansk are two of my favorites. Another popular one is Lane Limited's 1Q.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Smoke a little slower.
Like juvat said, most don't match the smell with the taste.
I'll second 1Q.
Other aromatics that taste like what they smell in the tin/bag are Mc Baren Black Ambrosia, Mc Baren 7 Seas Red and Sam Gawith Grousemoor.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Horse puckey.
The issue people have with aromatics is that they light the pipe, get one taste of something nice, and then they suck and suck and suck and light it up again and burn the thing to a crisp trying to find that flavor again. "Aromatics smoke hot." "Aromatics have no flavor."
Well.... look, what is "flavor"? Flavor is big molecules, big complex chains, oils and sugars and esters... and if you overheat an aromatic tobacco, you literally burn those flavor molecules, render them down to H20 and C02. Then they'll taste like nothing. Cuz then there is nothing to taste.
The secret is to learn how to smoke very slow, control a really low-temperature smolder, and instead of sucking in wads and blowing out clouds of smoke (all of which LOOK like the thing to do), you have to seek out wispy half-lit moments, and THEN.... then you'll see what your tobacco can taste like.
Seek less. Find more. I promise.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I usually can't smell the aroma or room note until I leave the room and then return a few minutes later. I have found that french inhaling helps me taste the tobacco while smoking (inhaling through the mouth and out the nose -not into your lungs). For me and others tasting tobacco is smelling the tobacco.

I don't smoke aros too much but I think No-bite Delight is one of the better ones.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Flavor is big molecules, big complex chains, oils and sugars and esters... and if you overheat an aromatic tobacco, you literally burn those flavor molecules, render them down to H20 and C02.
'Nuff said...
Edit: Somehow my crappy cut and paste quote job might have given the impression I was disagreeing with the above quote. I wasn't.
But sadly, while I agree that this can help with some, some aromatics will have zero taste no matter what you do.

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
Seek less. Find more. I promise.
Now those are words to live by. Beyond our hobby.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Very good advice on smoking slowly. Even after 16 years I am learning to smoke properly.
Jason

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Slow down. Give your pipes and your tongue a rest. Clean your pipes after every smoke before you put them back on the rack for overnight (or longer). I don't care what blend you smoke. But, if you smoke a blend repeatedly or in the same pipe without giving it a rest, you will blame the blend and it isn't the fault of the blend. Rather it is the fault of the puffer. I usually smoke about seven different pipes per day. I smoke three different blends (all my own C&D blends) and the pipes are dedicated to each blend. I have about thirty pipes. I don't experience what you describe. Been smoking a pipe since age 13. I am age 62. ROTATE PIPES AND BLENDS! You won't regret it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

prettyinpink648

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
I'm up to 6 pipes now so I do rotate them pretty much with every smoke. I also clean them a daily. My family say I am obsessed with cleaning my pipes. But I will definitly make a effort to slow down.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
It took me 15 years to learn it, and a tin of Mac Baren Mixture that I was determined to find the "honey on toast" flavor. I finally did, just as a pipe was going out. Got a wisp of this heavenly flavor because I wasn't burning the stuff up. That was the "OOOOOOoooohhhhhh" moment for me. Now I am to the point where if a pipe is lit and working well, sometimes flavors I couldn't detect previously are almost overwhelming. It's really the most important aspect of pipe smoking, especially for sweet blends.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
For me its been a learning process so far and I must say that as far as I'm concerned my favourite aromatic is definately Lane's 1Q . I find it to be a very pleasant & tasteful smoke every time , smells great in the pouch & also taste great smoking it gently enjoying it tremendously . This blend has become my top choice overall.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
"...But sadly, while I agree that this can help with some, some aromatics will have zero taste no matter what you do."
It's tough to find an aromatic that tastes like it smells. Usually you get a couple of nice puffs then you lose all flavor unless it is a worsening of the flavor (and heat) as you smoke on. Until I find that aromatic holy grail, I will stick with Virginia flakes and English blends.

prettyinpink648

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
So I went out this morning to the local tobacco store. I bought a new pipe. Packed it with my Boswell Berry Cobbler and first light, I tasted it. 20 minutes later, I'm still tasting it. I've slowed down and c!!an tell its burning slower and not as hot. Whoo hoo!!! Major accomplishment :puffpipe: thanks for all of the great advice everyone!

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I have found that doing multiple charring lights helps. My routine now is I pack it, light it, tamp it, light it again, tamp it, and then the final light and tamp. To me, this encourages me not to huff and puff too much on that initial charring light (plus many times it tastes bad when it is too hot as many mentioned here). This technique has given me a nice even slow burn to the bottom of the bowl that produces a cool smoke.
Glad you are tasting it!! I wish I had a forum like this when I started. Never too late to learn!
Jason

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
@Sasquach - that was one of the best posts Ive ever read on this board.. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.