I cant believe I just did this!.. yes I AM STUPID!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Im a big clencher... I clench all my pipes.

Well to make a long story short... This idiot was clenching his Peterson Meer lined Canadian (by the way Im talking about me, just in case you didn't figure that part out)... and yeah! I turned my head and hit my car door and out flew the pipe... all, what seemed like 150', to the ground! I wept :crying: well on the inside anyways... the rest of the world saw more like "#@#@%$%$#@ , #%$@#%$$ im such a #$^$@@... $^%$#5"
So anyways... the outside was not really harmed, dont ask me how the hell that happened... but im sure you all know where im going with this! Yes the Meer lining shattered, the entire bottom half the the bowl is now raw wood.
So not sure how to go about this... is there a repair for this? should I take the rest of the Meer out and continue to use it? should I throw it at someone out of frustration? Should I whack myself in the head with it in self flagellation?
I still cannot believe this just happened... I keep looking into the bowl to see if maybe, just maybe... I was mistaken about the damage :|

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I think I once came across a page on the internet where someone had repaired Meerschaum lining with a 'pipe mud'-like mixture but made from meerschaum sand (finely sanded down meerschaum pieces). I tried searching for it but couldn't find it right away. But it must be out there somewhere...

joshwolftree

hmmm Having never had a meer lined canadian I'm not sure on repair ability, though Peterson does have places for repairs listed on their site. Perhaps contacting one of those would give you an idea of the cost for repair-vs-new pipe. I recommend removing the car door and beating it with a hammer in retribution for the heinous act of being where the pipe should be. on the upside if you have to remove the meer lining to continue smoking the pipe-bigger Internal bowl size-more tobacco-longer smoke :) Self Flagellation is obviously not the answer as this is obviously the doors fault.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
Don't be too hard on yourself.
Misery loves company, so If it makes you feel any better, last night I was cleaning an old Boswell pipe, and I got the cotton end of a q-tip stuck in the draft hole. While forcing/ramming it through, I chipped a nice chunk out of the inside chamber wall. Ugh.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Damn...at least you didn't lose any teeth! On second thought if you did, you could grind those up and repair your pipe.
Also, you wouldn't have to clench; there'd just be a "pipe slot" already there.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Hmm :) I'd say worst is that you need a new Meerschaum lining be fitted. Unfortunately it's super hard to find any kind of information on how manufacturers line their bowls. My best guess would be that they work the Meerschaum into the bowl in its wet state where it resembles a block of soap, then dry it, bake it, drill the tobacco chamber, drill the draft hole and then coat the Meerschaum with stearin or beeswax to harden it. Any pipe makers who want to reveal "how it's made"?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I had a friend who clenches. He was taking a piss and smoking his Peterson spigot when the bowl fell off the stem and into the toilet. Yeah. He could never get over that episode to smoke the pipe again.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
hope you get it fixed. I always feel real cool when I turn my head with a pipe in my mouth in the car & the window is up.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That stinks, hopefully Walker or the like can make the repair. I've stood on an upper level hotel balcony smoking my pipe and had similar bad thoughts were it to drop....

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Thanks guys... Yeah Dave Wolff its going to have to be... just hope its not going to be too expensive
Does anyone know if I can continue to smoke it until I can get it out to get repaired (if it even can be)

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I had a friend who clenches. He was taking a piss and smoking his Peterson spigot when the bowl fell off the stem and into the toilet. Yeah. He could never get over that episode to smoke the pipe again.
"A friend"? Yeah, riiiight. :rofl:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Better than if it fell in the toilet!
and I've done the same thing more than once myself, but it's never landed OUTSIDE the truck in my case.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I busted an old LePeltier clay pipe in a similar fashion. Also cracked the bowl of an Edwards freehand smoking it too often and not reaming it, had a 10 inch long Caminetto Canadian made into a nosewarmer by my 3 year old, and spread ash all over my car dozens of times hitting the side window with a lit pipe in my teeth on the road. The stem on my Rungstead Seafarer broke off when I dropped it years ago too. It happens man. Grieve and go on. Hope you can get a repair.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I would consider breaking in the briar (if its not to thin) and smoking as a normal pipe.if you intend to have it repaird I would not fire the briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.