PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
been smoking one form or the other tobacco since i was 12 or so. until recently, i thought the tobacco was just a nasty habit with a bad taste. then pipe smoke opened jp a whole new world of truly satisfying smoking experience. i still smoke marlboro red now and then. on the past weekend, i dropped my elder son at his college. his first time being away for truly extended time. i bought a pack of red to burn. then i noticed something i never experienced before. the cigarette had pleasant taste. i slowed down and smoked slowly. i definitely tasted something very closed to va. was totally amazed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It may be impolite to mention, but some of the bag tobacco sold as pipe tobacco but apparently also intended for roll-your-own cigarettes is good grade Virginia and smokes well in a pipe, by itself or mixed with burley, Cavendish, and other leaf. That's an interesting way to learn about good old Virginia through the back door. Congrats on getting your oldest into college. You'll always be his dad, even when he's fifty with a brood of his own. My dad lived until I was sixty, and he was always an important resource to me. Still is.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
American Spirit makes has a perique blend. It's their black pack. It's basically a VaPer in cigarette form, and it's very, very good. Lots of dried fruit flavors. It's what I smoked for my last 4 or 5 years of cigarette smoking, but I never recognized the flavors as being Virginia and Perique tobaccos until after I picked up the pipe.
I second the congratulations on your boy going to college!

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Circa 2010-2011, I picked up several packs of State Express 555 while working out of town. I'm not a cigarette person, but that particular brand/blend exploded with a sweet VA and oriental overtone, almost brown sugar sweetness that I find in some of my favorite pipe blends. Haven't had any since then, don't know if it's the same.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think maybe the roll-your-own cigarette tobacco and pipe tobacco may be taxed differently, so there is a bonus for the companies to sell bags as pipe tobacco. Maybe it varies from state to state besides, but that's what I've read.

tidalwave

Lurker
Jul 9, 2019
Yes, it does, and this is why I tend to not like Virginias. I don't want anything that reminds me of my Marlboro habit (27 years clean now).

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Back when I was a cigarette smoker, I mostly smoked roll-your-own Peter Stokkebye blends. They got me on to quality tobacco, as they tasted much better than manufactured cigarettes. Now, I still enjoy a few Stokkebye blends in a pipe, mainly Balkan Supreme :puffy:

tidalwave

Lurker
Jul 9, 2019
It's funny how each of us finds parts of pipe smoking so diametrically different.
Yeah, everyone is completely different. I've got friends who *love* Exotic Orange and Ennerdale. I thought I was going to have to burn down my house to get the smell of Exotic Orange out of my office -- and that was just from opening the tin.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The Peter Stokkebye RYO tobaccos are very good. I can remember buying pouches of Amsterdam shag at Grant's in San Francisco, and being drawn to the GL Pease tins, particularly the Fog City series tins with San Francisco streets and landmarks as the names. Even though I didn't smoke a pipe at the time, I remember being impressed and curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.