Tags:  No tags yet. 

I bought the rolling tobacco by mistake

(19 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by adrianslomo
  • Latest reply from danimalia
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

adrianslomo

Login to Send PM

In my country, there are so many warning stickers covering up the tobacco packaging. Add the stamps, tags and other stickers, they end up covering more than half of the pack. To cut a long story short, instead of getting a MacBaren Original pipe tobacco, I came home with a MacBaren Original Rolling Tobacco. I can't exchange it anymore, never used it. Should I just chailk it up to experience (or lack thereof) and move on, or could I still smoke it or do something with it?

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it does not bother you, i say smoke it. There are several members here who smoke RYO in their pipes from time to time.

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 months ago #
  3. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well naturally you should at least try it. With companies like Mac Baren or Stokkebye, I'm given to understand that the only distinction is the cut of the tobacco. RYO stuff will be a fine shag, so you'll have to pack it tighter.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 2 months ago #
  4. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

Question: Are the roll-your-own tobaccos as heavily doped with saltpeter as factory-made cigarettes?

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Easy, smoke it. Jar it and try it by itself, but also mix it with other blends from time to time. Sometimes these home mixes done on inspiration are quite good. Or better. All we're talking about here is the cut, and once you mix it, it's just a condiment tobacco and a finer cut works well. Some of the Virginia-rich RYO bag tobaccos sweeten up nicely.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Question: Are the roll-your-own tobaccos as heavily doped with saltpeter as factory-made cigarettes?

Haven't the foggiest, but I'm willing to bet that brands which also do true pipe tobacco are not in the same league as brands which produce only for RYO.

For example, my local tobacconist has some Stokkebye products in both 'cigarette cut' and 'pipe cut'. I'm positive it's the exact same tobacco either way. I wouldn't be so sure about other brands.

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally I wouldn't enjoy it as much. You can always donate it to someone who may be in need and would appreciate it as a luxury. Just a thought.

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mix it with some coarser ribbon cut pipe tobacco and You're good to go,would Five Brothers do? Cheap enough and plenty of power

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

I have not done RYO in decades but, European RYO (Gauloises, Drum, et al) did not contain saltpeter like American cigarette tobacco. If you put a European RYO down it would go out, while the US tobacco would keep on burning. Maybe times have changed?

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 2 months ago #
  10. samuelgawith01

samuelgawith01

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I say.......try it, you may like it.Experiance it.Smoke it slow, and in a pipe with a good, open draw.

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Give it a go. You may like it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To my knowledge MacBaren,Stokkebye, etc are the same tobaccos just different cuts. Smoke it Brother! It's all in the pack Jack...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

adrianslomo

Login to Send PM

Thanks to everyone who replied! Looks like the ayes far outnumber the nays so I'm gonna give it a go.

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please report on the results!

If we don't hear from you in a few days, we'll send a note to your widow.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  15. danimalia

danimalia

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't had the MacBaren, but the Stokkebye RYO tobaccos are outstanding. The Amsterdam Shag I would absolutely smoke in a pipe (if I found myself in your circumstances.) Does it state what kind of tobaccos it's made of?

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

adrianslomo

Login to Send PM

@jpmcwjr I'm alive, no need for the missus to break out the champagne just yet!

Sorry it took a while to get around to testing, but I did just a few minutes ago. As a disclaimer, I am new to piping and cannot make a proper review since this is only the 3rd type of tobacco I've ever tried.

I checked the label and found that the MacBaren Original Choice #01 RYO I purchased is made of "Silk cut Virginia, Burley and Orient tobaccos with a sweet vanilla and caramel flavour." The first thing I noticed was, of course, the cut is so much finer than the usual pipe tobaccos I use. I packed it a bit looser since it has a tendency to clump together at the onset. I picked it apart a bit to make sure air flows through the pipe.

I noticed a bit more tongue-bite, but apart from that, I did not notice any drastic difference with my other blends. The pipe got hot at the same level, similar level of light-headedness after my usual bowls. It burned through the bowl nicely, I did not need to relight after the initial lighting, which was not the case with the others. The residue was a very fine ash and the pipe cleaner came out with much the same discoloration as the usual.

As pointed out by a few of you, it seems that the only difference with MacBaren's RYO is with the cut. It has a milder flavor than the Captain Black Cherry and Borkum Riff Honey and Orange in my limited arsenal. I will keep a closer watch on the RYO but I think I won't have any problem including it in my rotation.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a tasty mixture.

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Virginia, burley and oriental make it a standard pipe blend, though the cut is finer. A dash of unflavored black Cavendish would give it a little more smoke volume, but it should be fine on its own.

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. danimalia

danimalia

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, nice. That sounds like a fairly standard (and high quality) Turkish style cigarette blend, but with an added aromatic topping. The RYOs we get here in the States seem to be absent those flavorings, but I see they're more common in Europe. Definitely sounds like a worthy smoke if the flavorings are to your liking.

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   elbert, voorhees, redglow, danimalia, philobeddoe, ajohnb, ben88, creole, corncobguy, jhowell, alexnc, weezell, pianopuffer, haparnold, peregrinus, timelord