PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
...and had to show my ID in order to buy them. I'm almost 50 effing years old and had I not shown my drivers' license they wouldn't have sold them to me. I have gray hair and they know I'm old yet they still demand the damned ID.
I am so damn sick of losing my liberties in order to protect "the children". I wasn't protected from pipe cleaners when I was a kid and yet I turned out okay. Anyone else sick of this totalitarian nanny-state bullshit? This is not the country I grew up in.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I wonder if the local crafts store checks id's to sell "project" pipe cleaners?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Preach it, reverend. Besides, I remember using pipe cleaners for ridiculous grade school craft projects.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
They are not called pipe cleaners anymore. In schools they are called "fuzzy sticks". Because you bought "pipe cleaners"you had to show ID. Try buying fuzzy sticks next time.
I'm only being a little sarcastic here.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Since when are pipe cleaners considered as tobacco?

I would have read that clerk the riot act. Granted, it may have shown up on the register as 'tobacco', but I still would have insisted on seeing the manager just to prove a point and made them look like ass-wipes. Ridiculous!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Check the laws in the local area. Some jurisdictions make it the law to check ID's for smoking related purchases. Big fine could be levied if not adhered to by the clerk.
In some places there is no leeway, eyeballing and guessing the age will get a fine. This is true even if you are a returning customer and the clerk knows your birth date by heart, dates your son/daughter or maybe is your daughter/son. This is the way with liquor products in my city. Company gets fined and the clerk will probably be fired for failure to comply. Don't be blaming the clerk so quickly. Perhaps your elected officials caused this situation.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's all part of training both the clerks and the customers to be obedient, mindless, non-thinking, non-questioning, domesticated, institutionalized, dolts who are incapable of exercising any initiative or common sense.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Sorry but I really do not see the problem. You got the cleaners. None of your rights were violated. The clerk was just doing his job.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
easterntraveler, you don't see a problem in being asked for ID to buy pipe cleaners? Anytime anyone asks me for my papers they better have a good reason. I don't blame anybody except voters and politicians for stuff like this.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I got carded for one of those long bic lighters at walmart to light the pilot on my furnace back in October. They said it was because it can be used to light cigarettes with. They have yet to card me for a box of kitchen matches....what's up with that?

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
is being carded for buying pipe cleaners really worth the stress some of you guys are talking about? I buy Dills about every time I go through Krogers. I have never actually had to show ID. The register stops for a second then the cashier just keeps going, at the self checkout the scanner looks up until one of the girls presses something on her remote.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
To the point.......does anyone really think hammering or berating the clerk about local political issues a productive use of oxygen?
You're absolutely right that it is wrong to berate the clerk, but not to berate the asinine system.
FWIW, a small inconvenience isn't a destructive invasion of your rights.
No, but it's slowly and assuredly inching that way.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I have kids and while I don't smoke around them I don't hide it either both my 4 year old and my 2 year old love to smell the tobacco in the jars. BJ Long pipe cleaners are sold by the hundreds and make for great cheap rainy day crafts. I'm old enough to remember when the service stations had single wrapped cigarettes in barrels in front of the stores and they were $.10 each. My dad would grab his daily smokes and hand the lady a dollar.
We have moved from a nation (USA) of callused hands, sweat stained shirts, work boots and men who did what they said they would do into a bunch of powered bottom, coffee collar, clean pressed, hermetically sealed and sterile, gluten free, low fat no high fructuous corn syrup spineless wimps. When a man gets looked at funny cause he can hunt and farm for the food on his table is deserving of a reality TV, and good ole fashion family values are flabbergasting.
When did we look around and figure out that being able to build something with your on two hands or grow something to eat was beneath us as a nation as a whole. I can remember my dad telling me to get a good education cause other wise I might be a carpenter or a mechanic for a living. Guess what those are the guys that I have to hand my "hard earned money" over to when things around me go "clunk".
Leave my single barrel 20 year old whiskey and tobacco alone, go find something important to do with your time like how to make a car that'll last more that 8 years or why elder and child abuse is still a thing.. Ok rant over.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
LOL! 8O

Abe_simpson.gif

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I don't blame the clerk or even the managers, they're just covering their own behinds. The blame for this stupidity falls directly on the voters, you get exactly the government you elect. All of this "for the children" nonsense goes back to the vote-fetching fear baiting so popular on BOTH sides of the aisle in the last twenty or so years.

Status
Not open for further replies.