PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I keep seeing some confusion on what Perique is, where its grown and where its processed, etc.

I did some research and interviewed Mark Ryan at Daughter's & Ryan and who is the owner of the L.A. Poche Perique facility in St. James Parish.

I know there have been other articles/blogs posted on pipemagazine.com, but if you are interested in reading what I've found out, here is the link...
http://macpappysworld.blogspot.com/

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
pappy ... I had a browse through some of your blog posts - great stuff! I will return and explore some more when I have an hour or two. Mike

Good job!!

I think that some of the confusion in recent threads comes from a member who asserts that perique can be made anywhere. He is coming from the hobby grower perspective, and yes he can. But, is perique made anywhere? Not commercially. I would be pissed if a blender decided to go with perique made in Wisconsin or New Jersey over perique made in the Delta. But yes, perique can be made by a hobbyist anywhere.
As far as what blended means. This is a little misleading. it isn't just mixed with another leaf. It is pressed during the process. If I remember correctly, he had said that he had worked with Greg Pease on doing this for flavor and not to just fluff the harvest.
Oh, and those that think it was rubbed in fruit mash, ha ha. I recommend that perique be smoked straight occasionally. You'll taste no fruit. Perique was smoked by itself historically. I always get frustrated when folks say it is so magically awful smoked straight. Maybe, new smokers and those who can't tolerate tobaccos with any nicotine in them. It is not terrible. It will seem a little harsh till you get your cadence down, but tobacco wasn't always smoked just for flavor. That is like someone saying that they only drink bourbon for the flavor. Sometimes, we want the effects of tobacco. Just sayin...
Good interview!! And, fantastic blog!!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Cosmic - I smoked the sample they gave us at the tour straight. In fact, I smoked all the samples straight. It helped me understand the differences better.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Interesting read Pappy but I was surprised to read...
"Ryan said he has bought tobacco from Canada, Kentucky and Tennessee. These tobaccos are then mixed with the perique grown in St. James Parish and processed."
...as I always thought St. James Parish Perique was just that, St. James Parish grown and processed with no 'alien' tobacco being blended with it. T'would appear I was wrong 8O
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
So, when do we get to read the answer to the question:
Are there any pipe tobaccos sold that are “Pure” Perique – tobacco grown in St. James Parish, processed and not blended with other tobacco?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Cortez - I am still trying to get a definitive answer to that question. Maybe Russ would have one.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I think that some of the confusion in recent threads comes from a member who asserts that perique can be made anywhere
Gee, I wonder how that could be.... :wink:
I just don't understand the fascination with the mantra of "only real Perique is made in St James..."
"Real" Perique used to be made in St James Parish from Perique leaf. The leaf was stripped from the stalk as soon as it turned brown. Now it is made from leaf imported from outside St James and mixed with a small amount of Perique leaf. The tobacco is not pressed as soon as the leaf turns brown on the stalk, it is pressed from leaf that has been aging for quite awhile.
So someone tell me (again) why the stuff Mark Ryan sells is "real" Perique? He is not strictly using Perique leaf grown in St James Parish, nor is he processing it the way "real" Perique is processed.
BTW, Historically ( up until recently) there has always been an overabundance of Perique. This over supply is what drove prices down causing a lot of Perique farmers to quit the business. If interested I can dig up the historic production/sales data on Perique.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
jitterbugdude - You are wrong. There has never been an overabundance of perique. And yes, Ryan is processing perique it the way real perique is processed. Unless you are talking about how they processed it before 1930.
I know. You could take a trip to St. James Parish and visit the Perique growers and process and it still wouldn't change your mind.

Forgive us, Jitterbug. I know that you are a great hobby grower. No question. But, as to your expertise on the subject of the history of perique, I have to scratch my head. On one side we have Mark Ryan who single-handedly saved the industry, owns the factory, and has been speaking at events since his involvement in the industry that ranges from all forms of tobacco. On the other side of the argument, we have... what was your name again?

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Well let's see: I've been making my own Perique for 10 years now? How long has Mark been at it? I've also read everything that was ever was written about Perique dating back to the 1800's. What have I said that contradicts anything Mark Ryan has said?

Yeh, well, forgive me Jitterbug, but as soon as I see your published work or evidence of your work in the industry, I will not take your word over one of the most respected names in pipe tobacco. As it is, I don't even know your real name. As I said, forgive me. You really could be a leading perique manufacturer in the industry, but as far as I can tell with what I have been given, it would take a huge leap of faith to take your word (an anonymous forum member) over Mr Ryan's.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Jitterbug - for one thing, your assertion that there was a historical over-abundance of perique tobacco which drove prices down.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
For those interested in a historical perspective on Perique here are two more resources.

The first is U.S. Department of Agriculture Circular 249 from 1942. It is available for reading on-line at: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=chi.57086152;view=1up;seq=62
The second is a New York Botanical Garden Economic Botany Journal Article "The Perique Tobacco Industry of St. James Parish, Louisiana: A World Monopoly" Vol. 24, No. 2 April - June 1970. Pages 123-130. I accessed it through jstore.org which is an excellent place to find research material.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The blog has been edited to include some new information found in the above publications.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I always thought St. James Parish Perique was just that, St. James Parish grown and processed with no 'alien' tobacco being blended with it.
Good point Jay, I was wondering the same thing after reading this part;
Ryan said the rich, fertile delta soil, the moisture in the water table from the Mississippi River, the climate and the microbes in the soil and air, all goes into making St. James Perique the tobacco that it is. Those conditions are not naturally replicated anywhere else in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.