PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I am right handed but I smoke with my pipe in my left hand. I only really noticed this yesterday and it struck me as rather odd.
Does anyone else do this and does anyone know why? I have tried smoking with the pipe in my right hand but it feels rather alien to me.
Not being a clencher I always have to hold my pipe so I wonder if it's a psychological thing of leaving my right hand free in case I need to do something.
Anyone out there experience this?
Regards,
Jay.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
nope, I am right handed, hold my pipe, when I do, with my right hand... it can happen that I use my left hand, but it's really just occasionally.
I wonder why it happens to you differently...

IMHO, we know so little about the brain, we won't figure it out in our life time :wink:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I a rightie but hold my pipe in my left hand. I suspect many of us use our opposite hand to hold our pipes though I don't know why that is. I seem to recall a similar topic to this from several years ago.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Guess I'm ambidextrous when not clenching."
So when clenching are you right or left handed?
I reckon it's the psychological thing of keeping your 'handed' hand free and ready for other tasks.
I'm trying to think which hand I used when I smoked RYO but can't recall despite doing it for nigh on 40 years :oops:
Regards,
Jay.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm the same way. I guess I'm not good with a lighter in my left hand. I also open soda bottle caps and such with my left hand.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Being ambidextrous, I use both.
I guess that not only makes me a two-fisted drinker but, a two-fisted smoker, as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I hold in in left hand while lighting. Otherwise, either hand, but probably mostly the right, as I am that handed. Clenching will be either side of the mouth.
Mysteries abound!

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I started to say that I am right handed and that I hold my pipe with my dominant hand, and then I thought about it and realized no, I use my left hand. I also clench on my left side. Oh the uniqueness of being human.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Holding a pipe is not a taxing procedure, it only makes sense to hold it in your left hand and using the dominant hand for something more demanding( ;) )

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I am right handed but I smoke with my pipe in my left hand.
Now that you mention it, I too tend toward holding the pipe in my left hand. Interestingly, I'm sure there is no practical reason as I usually just walk or sit relaxed while smoking.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
I'm left handed (normally,but who says I'm normal). I usually hold my pipe in my right so I can light and tamp with the left. Man,you're really going to mess up some minds here ! A prime example : Ask any good bird hunter, does he shoot with both eyes open or not and if he sights using the beads on the barrel. Then watch him. He probably won't hit another bird that day. It works and is hilarious as he-- to watch cause it usually works 90 percent of the time till they catch on. Anyway, nice try. ;-)

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I'm also right handed and hold my pipe in my left, because I'm usually working on my laptop while smoking in the garage after work. Unless I'm on my phone, then I hold my pipe in my right, because my left hand is my phone hand. The pipe just moves to the less important hand at any given moment.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Right handed ... Clench on the left side and when I hold my pipe it's with my left hand 90% of the time.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I am right-handed. For pipes I have both holders and clenchers; I hold in my left hand and clench on the left side at least 90% of the time. My stupid hand is no good for manipulating matches, tamping, or stuffing ribbon cuts, so I suppose that is why.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I guess I'm a bit unusual, I'm right handed and when I hold my pipe it tends to be in my right hand. I do use my left hand to hold it at times to so I guess I ambi-pipe-trous ??? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.