PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadadad

Lurker
May 3, 2017
I started a couple months ago and LOVE pipe tobacco. I started with aromatics then smoked Frog Morton Cellar and realized I am more of a english person. So I start pipe smoking at a time when the FDA regulations are about to hit and after all the syrian tobacco is gone...... WTF what a time to start.
I am hoping someone would be willing to sell because I don't really have much to trade just yet even a SMALL amount of a syerian tobacco as I love latakia and I have heard so much about the syrian and really wish I could at least try it before nobody has any. I thought the solani 779 still had it and ordered a bunch of tins only to find out there isn't any in it anymore.
Also and I know this is very unlikely too but if any is willing to sell a tiny bit of Penzence that would be awsome too I heard so much about this as well..
One last thing if people can tell me some of the best tobaccos I should be buying now so I don't miss out on them as well would be helpful and greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!d

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Welcome Kanadadad, I suggest browsing the site, tobaccoreviews.com and also maybe going to the Pipesandcigars.com site, and then calling them to request their catalog. I'm going to send you a private message also. You'll find that on the upper right side of the Forum page.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
If you like Frog Morton Cellar(Which I love) here are some of my other favorites:

McClelland's Yenidje Highlander

McClelland's 3 oaks syrian (If you can find it)

Hearth & Home Magnum Opus

Hearth & Home Blackhouse

Smokers Haven Exotique

kanadadad

Lurker
May 3, 2017
Hey Fitzy thanks for your response! Yes I LOVE Frog Morton when I had the first pipe I wasn't sure then I went outside and it was very cold and snowing to work on the car and thought I would try it again and OMG it was like it was a totally different smoke. It almost felt like I should go for a walk in the bush with it and I fell in love. Now when I try to smoke the aromatics I bought they all feel like they burn my tongue and smoke hot and the tobacco seems like its cheap or something. The only aromatic that I like now is the Kendal Gawith Hoggarth Top Black Cherry it doesn't burn my tongue. I do love the english blends much more though. I bought the Hearth and Home white knight and that was really good too so I'm def going to try the blackhouse never heard of mmagnum opus but will try that too.. The other mcclellands I will def try...
Thanks so much for your guys input!
I really kind of feel like I was ripped off getting into the pipe smoking at the time that I did, in retrospect I wished I started this a long time ago...
Anyhow thanks again I will be sure to try those!!!

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Second for reading up on tobaccoreviews, it has an absolute war chest of information ! Also poke around on this site, lots of old timers here who know their stuff ;)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
If I could some how convince you not to worry too much about missing out on the Syrian Lat I would but thats not how things work. I think most of the best English blends being produced today contain Cyprian Latakia and I would highly recommend that you check out Smokers Haven Exotique. It's absolutely fabulous and reminiscent of the best blends of yesteryear. So try not to focus on the things you can't have and take joy in the marvelous blends that are available right now, today!
Welcome aboard and have fun a long the way.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
GL Pease blends gets my vote. He should really have sampler blends.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Call Pipeworks & Wilke before it's too late. Order up some No.10, some High Hat and some Bestmake.
Then go to LJ Peretti's website. Order their English Sampler. Then add a bag of Tashkent to your cart.
Finally, go to Uhle's website and order up some No.232 (and get a few nice Burleys while you're paying shipping).

kanadadad

Lurker
May 3, 2017
I am sorry I posted this in the wrong area.
Thank all of you for your wonderful suggestions and willingness to help!
I will try every single one you all have suggested. I do really hope they don't discontinue the Frog Morton Cellar I have fallen in love with this.
I ordered 4 tins of Solani 779 becuse I thought it still had the Syrian Latakia.
I have heard people talk about a few of the GAL Pease I was told gaslight is fantastic so I plan to order a few tins. I figure if I order something I don't like I can find someone on this forum who will gladly take it.
Hawky you have a excellent suggestion there, I guess when you hear time after time that a past blend was amazing it makes you want to try it. Hell who knows I might try these blends and not even like them..
I bought a lot of Lane very cherry and McLaughlin 3 cherry blend. I was on a aromatic kick when I first started and they tasted good. Then I tried frog mortons and the first bowl of it I didn't like then one day went outside it was snowing and very cold and decided to try it again and for whatever reason I felt like it was just right for smoking outside in the cold. Im not sure why it hit me like that but I REALLY enjoyed it and every bowl after I have enjoyed it more and more. Anyhow since falling in love with it going back to the aromatics .. Well I think im a English kind of guy they are so much more tasty and don't taste like cigerette smoke and the lane very cherry burns hot and tastes like that cigerette smoke and gives me tongue bite and it tastes like cigerette tobacco with cough syurp sprayed on it.
So anyone who would want to take the Lane Very Cherry and the Mclellens 3 cherry and I also have 2 ok there exclusive cherry by samual gowith. Anyone who wants them can take them...
I did like one by Kendal / samual gowith it's called top dark cherry it never gave me tongue bite and the smoke is Fuller it just seems like a higher quality tobacco then the lanes very cherry. I think I will keep that and smoke it on occasion.
Anyhow thanks again to the community and me offering this tobacco is my thanks for your help and suggestions :).
I can't wait to get more into this...

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
GL Pease Blends are exceptional in my opinion. Try some Odyssey, Gaslight and Key Largo. Try anything that sounds interesting from GL Pease, they are all very good.
Again, don't worry on the Syrian. Few seemed to give a crap about it until they remembered it was running out. It's not better or worse than Cyprian... it's just different. I think it's still quite easy to get your hands on some of MacBaren's Syrian Mixture... and if you're really in to it, someone will part with a tin of 3 oaks at a reasonable price. I liked it - but, I am a whole lot more worried about running out of Royal Yacht ;-)

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Get some of the Dunhills while they're still around (there's strong indication that their time is coming up). My Mixture 965 is something every pipe smoker should experience at least twice (not just once). If you like Frog Morton On The Bayou, grab some Nightcap. If you like Frog Morton On The Town, you've got to try Early Morning Pipe.
If you dare, get a couple tins of Royal Yacht and hide them somewhere for about five years.
At least so you can say you've smoked 'em ... :puffy:

Jun 27, 2016
I would say that you want some good blending/straight tobacco on hand as well, at least of stuff that you are not sure about. Then you could smoke it straight and add it to other things to see if you like it or not.

Perique, Burleys, Dark Fired Kentucky, various Orientals, Latakia, different Virginias.

For instance if you don't like Burleys, then you might or might not like Dark Fired Kentucky, and Gaslight and the MacBarens Syrian offerings have DFK in them. :puffy:

Jun 27, 2016
Edit: Just realized I was thinking of Black House with DFK in it and confused it for Gaslight. But probably best to check out the DFK before getting a lot of stuff with it in it, if you aren't crazy about Burleys. :puffy:

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
All is not lost !!!
Macbaren HH Syrian is still available.
Dunhill early morning pipe is good
Ashton artisans blend for a heavier english.
Samuel gawith celtic talisman is my favourite cherry blend. macbaren original choice is a good sweet black cavendish
You also must try perique blends llike luxury bullseye and escudo or astleys #2 for a sweet va/perique blend.
All the best in your new hobby -Tim

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Please be sure to let us know how those tobacco's work out for you.
I also think you should give Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake a shot. It's not what you asked for but it's a good virginia that has a very light flavoring.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I honestly think Syrian is highly over rated, and I like Cyprus Latakia better. That stated, Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian is available and good.
If you like English style latakia smokes, try;
Dunhill MM965

Dunhill Nightcap

Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme

Peterson's Old Dublin

Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader

Samuel Gawith Commonwealth

Dunhill London Mixture

Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake

Dunhill The Aperitif

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Right now would be a good time to grab up some marquee series tins at pipesandcigars. Blackhouse is my favorite of the series. They're all great blends. Check out some bulk blends too and read some reviews. Great way to pick up one ounce samples of different blends.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
All great tobacco suggestions listed above. One taste profile most of those English blends do not offer is the "whiskey" from the cut cube in each tin of Cellar. If by chance that is the flavor you seek may I suggest Black Frigate, Sextant, or Pembroke. In fact I would even include Bengal Slices although I could not identify the topping.

Status
Not open for further replies.