I am new, just bought my first pipe, and few questions, thanks!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigping

Lurker
Aug 16, 2014
Hi guys, first of all, I'm sorry for my not perfect English since it's not my first language.

So I saw a deal on pipeandcigars today, I bought 1lb Lane BCA plus pipe for $39.95 (I already tried Lane BCA before, I really like it :D)

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/brands/1320/lane-limited/?slide=2
I have few questions...
1. so I see many people suggest me buying few Corn Cob Pipes to try different tobabbo, does it mean, one pipe can only use one kind of tobacco?? If I have 3 kinds of tobacco, do I need 3 pipes??
2. Do I have to change the filter in my pipe?? I don't really know how pipe works... or do I just wash them?
Thanks for helping:D have a great day!!

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
It depends on what kind. I have separate pipes and cobs for anything with Latakia in it. If the tobacco is sticky and sweet, that also needs a separate cob. The other pipe is for everything in between.

Get some pipe cleaners. Pipes don't need to be washed. Just run the pipe cleaner through.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Some of the purists will have a different pipe for each blend but you dont have to. I tend to try to dedicate a pipe to a certain type of blend. One for English, one for Aromatic and so on and so forth but once again you don't need to do it. What I like about Cobs is they are cheap, a good smoke, and they give you a rotation so you can let your pipes rest. This is what I think is the most important. Try to let your pipes rest at least a day. Once again, you don't even have to do this! Some people will smoke one pipe all day long, every day of the week and they are perfectly happy. Just experiment and see what you like.
As for filters, most people in the U.S throw them away. It seems Europeans tend to use them more. If you do use filters you have to change them every couple of smokes. I suppose it depends on the filters. I personally don't use them.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Welcome to the forums and the hobby!
I agree with most of what's been said. Quality corncob pipes are great for beginners and old timers alike. Ideally, I think a pipe should rest, to dry out, one day/bowl smoked. So if you smoke the same pipe three times in one day it should rest fir three days. Dry pipes equal better smoking pipes, and less chance of them "souring".
Most folks dedicate pipes by "family"- certain pipes for Latakia blends (English/Balkan blends), for Va/VaPers, barleys, and aromatics - so 4-5 pipes are a good starting rotation, depending on how often you smoke. Cobs are great values for the money, don't generally ghost, and are low maintenance.
Filters depend on the type and your preference. Paper filters, IMHO, are good for two smokes if you take it out after smoking, let it dry out, and then use it again. The balsa, maple and different 9mm filters all are good for several uses - upwards of 30 for some. They, too, need to dry out between uses. Then there's the no-filter option which many prefer; just take it out and smoke without it. The only way to know what's right for you is to experiment - and enjoy yourself while doing so!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Welcome to the forum. New? You've got some catching up to do, eh? Homework? Reading?
Go to the forums page where you found the ability to post a new thread. Read the sections at the top dedicated to beginners. Learn. Read some threads discussing your topic. Learn.
I've taken the initiative to do a search of these discussions for you on dedicating a pipe to a blend or genre.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/search.php?search=dedicated+pipes

gamxiaoyuan

Might Stick Around
Sep 12, 2014
China
I really suggest buy several pipes depends on your smoking frenquency.

You don't want to abuse one singel pipe for over 1 bowl per day. Otherwise, your pipe would get back to you with a very bad taste. I just experienced that, so hope you wouldn't.

FYI. English is not my first language either. I'm from China, what about you?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just starting out, I wouldn't worry about having separate pipes for different tobaccos. You probably want to start with

a few milder blends, and these are unlikely to leave lingering flavors between smokes. You can worry about that when

you get into stronger, more highly flavored tobaccos. You can get cob pipes without filters, and you can smoke a filter

pipe without the filter, so you might want to try it both ways. Just sample a few mild tobaccos in the pipe you have, learn

how to pack and light your pipe, and go from there. The goal is good flavor and relaxation, and maybe conversation with

another pipe smoker if one is around. There's plenty of time to learn as you go, so don't hurry and enjoy the experience.

monk

Lurker
Sep 18, 2014
Hi Pigping and welcome.
Welcome to me too: I just joined and yours is the first post I've landed on.
As is often the case with almost everything in life, experts abound. In the end, I find that what works best for me is, well . . . best for me.
Regarding corncobs: to me they are throwaways, i.e., inexpensive pipes I smoke while working on my Harley, fishing, hunting, repairing my roof - you get the picture - they are subject to abuse. Filters - to me - are akin to those in cigarettes: they do little more than serve as a trap that accumulates stuff that eventually adds to or detracts from your smoke. What's the point of that? Rather than filtering, I keep a few cotton pipe cleaners handy and periodically run them down to the bowl as I am smoking.
Regarding trying tobacco in corncobs: like briar but more so, the corncob will, to some degree, flavor the smoke, especially so until the bowl builds up its char layer. If sampling tobaccos for their respective taste is your intent, the least intrusive vessel will be a meerschaum - because it adds little if anything to the smoke, which is one of the well-known attributes of a meerschaum. You can find relatively inexpensive meerschaums.
Regarding dedicated pipes, i.e., using a pipe for a specific tobacco: I am not an aficionado but I have been smoking pipes since 1967. I do not smoke "aromatic" tobaccos because you end up burning oils and/or sugars, which are what make aromatics aromatic (stick a match to a little pile of sugar and then smell the result). I smoke non-aromatic tobaccos, which are flavored, if you will, by curing them over smoke from a variety of sources. Aromatics, or their oils, tend to soak into the bowl or will be a component of the char layer. Thus, the pipe will retain some of the aromatic's flavor, which may contaminate the flavor of a different tobacco. So, yes, if you smoke aromatics and non-aromatics and, if you wish to render your smoke as pure as possible, then do not use the same pipe for smoking non-aromatics as you would for smoking aromatics. Even at that, smoking different aromatics in the same pipe will tend to contaminate the smoke from either, especially if the aromatic is strongly flavored.
Finally, it is a good idea to have a 2-3 pipes as a starter so that you allow a pipe to dry out between smokes. Aromatics, by the way, tend to be considerably moist compared to non-aromatics and do not dry out as readily - because of the added aromatic oils (therefore they also smoke wet - moisture collecting in the bowl and condensation in the stem). Therefore, aromatics may need a couple of days to dry out in the bowl. So, you could begin a pipe collection, if that is your goal, with a couple of very inexpensive pipes, and one quality pipe.
Since you mentioned washing the filter (which I would throw away) here is my routine for maintaining my pipes.

As mentioned above, I periodically run a cleaner through my pipe as I am smoking. How often depends on how hard I am puffing and how moist my tobacco is. (I keep bulk tobaccos in humidors at 70 degrees and 48-52% humidity so the moisture content is consistent). After my smoke is finished, I run a cleaner through the pipe and then let the pipe cool down. I then separate the stem from the pipe always turning in one direction (I attach and remove my stems always clockwise so I remember which direction), wipe off the ends of the stem and run a pipe cleaner through it. Cleaning the bowl depends on the design. First, remove the dottle - the left over loose tobacco/ash that remains in the bowl. It is important NOT TO DO THIS until the bowl has cooled. Generally, there are two designs of pipe bowls: those whose stem opens at the bottom of the bowl (most pipes) and those (like Peterson's) that open above the bottom of the bowl, which leaves a blind chamber beyond the opening to the bowl but isolated from the bowl itself. In other words, you have a main shaft that goes past the opening to the bowl with a side shaft from the main shaft into the bowl located above the bottom of the main shaft. This design creates a reservoir (the bottom of the main shaft) into which moisture will collect, ostensibly to prevent it from reaching your mouth. If you have a pipe designed as such (or one whose shaft was misdrilled) I find it effective to make a small roll of tissue, or wind 2-3 pipe cleaners together, or bend a cleaner in half doubling it and then ream/clean out any such trap. Finally, if there is a separate shaft into the bowl, run the cleaner though it. It is less likely but if you notice moisture in the bottom of the bowl after you remove the dottle, a wad of tissue or paper towels can remove it. Then stand your pipe upright and let it dry out for at least a day (I leave the stem off the bowl during the drying process thinking it allows the bowl to dry out more effectively and quicker, especially if the bowl has a reservoir).
This is probably a lot more than you are asking but I'm having the oil changed on my rocker so I had time to kill.
Enjoy.
Monk

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
iuyBFJm.gif

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome to the forums pigping and monk. I hope you both enjoy the journey.
Pigping - there are a lot of very experienced guys and girls on here, so I'm not going to go into detail. You'll get plenty of excellent advice. The only thing I will say to a newbie is cobs + sample packs + questions + patience = a great start in this most enjoyable of pastimes.
Good luck! Andy

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
To our new members, a big welcome. You will find this is a terrific, tolerant forum, and a charitable one, like the fellow who posted immediately above, who hails from Engliand. I've been here for over a year and still have much to learn, and the folk here never hesitate to respond.

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
Welcome to the forums! ^Sparrow and Andy are both right. Take time in reading the forums and check out videos on YouTube too. Great bunch of guys and gals here!
And remember that this hobby is not about fast. It's about finding a comfortable pace and learning from your own experience. GO SLOW...
Best smokes, Donavan

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Gentlemen
Welcome to the forums. As far as I'm concerned, your English is terrific. I can only wish I could speak/type a foreign language as well as you guys.
The advice given above is excellent.
Read all of the sections on the forums, especially the ones to the left of the screen where techniques of pipe filling, cleaning etc are clearly and beautifully explained.
Again, welcome

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Welcome to the forums. I tend to dedicate certain pipes to different classes of tobacco. I also tend to smoke aromatics in my briars but prefer burley and Virginia blends in my cobs. That's not something etched in stone but just my personal preference. There is something to be said about resting a pipe between smokes and letting it dry out before using that specific pipe again. Typically with my briars after I smoke them I'll run a pipe cleaner in them and leave the cleaner in them overnight to soak up the moisture. The next day I'll remove the pipe cleaner and wipe out the bowl with a paper towel and then re-assemble the pipe. My cobs rarely get cleaned and I just smoke and enjoy them. As for as filters, the only benefit I see with them as that they do help soak up moisture and prevent "gurgling" but I smoke plenty of pipes without them and haven't had any problems one way or the other.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I know someone who does PC art, and if I want a picture made they will do it for me.

I just send them the pic and tell them what I want :puffy:
That is Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.