PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Hello all,

I have a good friend named Joe who is not only a class A machinist with years of experience, he is also a master woodworker. He has decided that he would like to take the plunge into restoring pipes, so I am mentoring him on this project, although he would probably do just fine on his own. Here are some pics of the project pipe he will be tackling. There is no makers mark, but it is stamped "Hand Made Algerian Briar". It really is a nice, heavy, little pipe. I will keep you posted on his progress.
Wes

www.rebuiltbriars.com

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
It's problably heavy because of all that cake, lol. I wonder how the bowl and rim look like underneath. When they arrive looking like this, about half the time I've found them to be in very good condition. The other half the time, I'll have to top it off and mud the walls.
But it looks like a nice starter pipe, I'm sure he'll be hooked after this ones done. Given his background and you to walk him through I'm sure it'll look great.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Yeah, I figure it should be at least a pound lighter once it is reamed LOL.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Well done sir. Another pipe owned by the Cake Boss. Looks like a great pipe to start on.
Why do people let their pipes get this bad.... 8O

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I do really wonder how long it take to make that much cake?

My simple guess is at least ten years!

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
I don't know how long it takes to build up a cake like that, but I know how long it takes to clean it lol. What amazes me is how anyone could think that is normal and not want to clean it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
FYI, I don't "do" cake. I wipe out a pipe after every smoke, maintaining a nice layer of carbon but no more. I have pipes nearly forty years old that are still going strong. I don't think cake is necessary, nor are reamers. I'm a minority in this, but several of us long-timers feel this way and act accordingly. That aside, this will be an interesting project and should have a great before and after pair of photos.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
MSO, I agree with you. I never ream any of my personal pipes, I don't have to, but when they come in the shop looking like this I don't have much of a choice lol. I will keep everyone posted as this project moves forward.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
I wanted to give everyone an update on this pipe restoration and how it is coming along. With the exception of filling in one small fill spot, Joe has just about finished this pipe and is ready to move to polishing and buffing. It has turned out very nice, smells nice and clean, and I can't wait to see it all buffed up.
Wes

rebuiltbriars.com

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is such a good looking pipe with some great grain. Looking forward to seeing it once it's all buffed up. :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
An amazing recovery. Just a little more work on the rim, and a polish, and..

"by George! I think you've GOT it!" :clap:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
What happened to the rest of this story? Did matey get bored & give up or what?
Surely if you start such a thread where you rely on input from other forum members then it is only polite to see it through to the end. A cynic might suggest it was started just so as you could plug your business interests.
Regards,
Jay.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
A cynic probably would suggest that, but the truth is that the person I was mentoring never finished the restoration. He may pick it up again someday, and if he does, I will be glad to post it here for everyone.
Wes

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Why, why, why do bored people need to dig through dead posts and then criticize the OP for not following up? Surely time is more valuable than what's spent jumping on the assumption train about why someone started a post in the first place.
Life happens. People move on. This place is hot and cold for some folks.
-- Pat

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for the reply Wes, I hope he does finish the job, I'd love to see the finished pipe. BTW my comment about the plug was very tongue in cheek!
Pruss, I was merely reading up on old threads to pick up tips and for the sheer pleasure. If you picked up a book in a library, wouldn't you be miffed if the story came to an abrupt halt with no explanation?
And for whats it's worth, I am not bored, just relaxing enjoying a bowl and trying to learn a thing or two.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.