PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I have no real point to make with this thread. I have no question to ask. I only mean to tell a story, I suppose.
I have always been a smoker. I fist tried cigarettes when I was about 5 years old. The girl who lived behind us stole a pack of her father's camels, and we lit up in a tent in her back yard. We did other things, but I will leave that for another day and another forum. Later, my father caught me stealing my uncle's cigars, and his cigarettes. He found my stash and did the whole buy-a-carton-and-make-me-inhale-until-I-puked thing. It didn't work. I started smoking in earnest when I was 10. I smoked Winstons, and Camels (unfiltered), and Lucky Strikes (unfiltered). Later, I found and smoked Sherman Naturals. It was about the experience, not the nicotine.
I gave up cigarettes cold turkey when I was 21.
But, I was still a smoker at heart. I cannot remember where, but, when I was about 10 or 11, I had seen a photo of what I believe to have been FDR, Churchill, and Stalin at Yalta in which Stalin was smoking a pipe. (I didn't know then who Stalin was to the world. I just liked the pipe.) I think that it may have been a Davidoff or Nat Sherman catalog, but I am not sure. (I have not been able to find that photo online despite my several attempts over the years.) The pipe had what appeared to be a very narrow bit and I was enthralled.
I tried smoking a pipe while going to school in Israel. I was 15. I don't remember it being a failure as such, but I didn't keep it up. Later, when my daughter was born, I started smoking cigars. I refused to buy "it's-a'girls" to hand out, opting instead for a box of Ashtons that I bought at a local shop. I couldn't give them away and ended up smoking the entire box myself. I was off to the races. My tastes changed; I started smoking Cubans (almost exclusively); I eventually came to live at the cigar store. I had a key and came and went as often as I wanted. When that store closed, my friends and I went around the corner to the "other" store and made that one our home, eventually obtaining keys to it.
In 2012, while driving down to Florida, I decided that I wanted to buy a pipe. I had no motivation other than the reminder of the "Yalta Photo" that I had in my memory. I stopped at JR's on I95, I bought a $20 bent billiard and some tobacco, and I have not looked back.
I write this after reading Fred Brown's new article in which he writes,
We are experiencing an epic movement in the pipe making world commensurate with the fine art realm of say, Impressionism, Neo-Classicism, Art Nouveau, or Post-Impressionism. It is truly a renaissance.
It occurs to me that my entries into the cigar and pipe worlds were self-motivated; they were not motivated by external influences, except my own memories.
I missed the cigar boom by a few years. I never even knew that that there had been one until I was smoking for a while. And, I now read that there is a renaissance taking place in the pipe world. Did I get in before it? Who knows. Who cares.
All I know is that, for me, it seems to be innate - maybe genetic.
So, there it is. No point. Just this: I am a natural born smoker.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Glad to hear you're story, brother.
Mirrors mine in a few ways, except I wasn't smoking at such an early age.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Kudos to you sir. I'm a natural born non-smoker, but here we are. Not sure who Fred Brown is but he is full of something brown, alright.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I feel as if it is in my blood to be a smoker. I also feel that it is in my blood to be a drinker, but never have, never will. Funny how things work out huh?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Some behaviors become passionate because they address something in us. For me, Nicotine makes me more effective and I enjoy it, unlike most everything else that everyone else does ;)

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Smoked my first cigar at 11, took up the pipe in college to appease those around me who detested the smell of cigars. Went back to cigars for many years, until it became a fad and the price of a decent stogie quadrupled. Back to the pipe. I never liked cigarettes, never actually bought any, just bummed one off someone now and then but always hated the taste.
I never smoked much, often stopped cold with no withdrawal symptoms and went months to years (9 once as I recall) without smoking, so it's never been either a physical or psychological addiction.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
Yeah, it has never really been about the nicotine for me. Rather, it's a romantic thing; always has been.
And, I love the irony of your avatar, shutterbugg.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
For me, Nicotine makes me more effective and I enjoy it, unlike most everything else that everyone else does ;)
+1, Deathmetal.
I left and years later returned. I do not dwell on why so much, it just is. The nic however is obviously a draw. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I do not dwell on why so much, it just is.
Some things just fit into a life.
I'd appreciate Stalin more if he actually smoked Royal Yacht. I think it's interesting how terrifying he was however.

Status
Not open for further replies.