I Almost Forgot What Syrian Latakia Tastes Like

(12 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by madox07
  • Latest reply from leafsmoker
  1. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At the back of my tobacco cupboard I have found a forgotten 100 gr tin of HH Vintage Syrian by Mac Barren, which I have picked up in Prague a couple of years ago. Oh boy am I a happy camper, as I almost forgot the greatness of Syrian latakia ... not sure if this is one of those forbidden fruit type of things, but it sure is a treat. This is one sweet, silky smooth, and dark blend. I think I opened it at the right time, too. The inner paper was very stained (I don't know how long it sat on the store shelf, but I am guessing that if you add the two years I have had it, it comes up to the right amount of time), but the nose though was still typical for a oriental and latakia blend. What can I say that already hasn't been said about this blend? It is sweet and dark, smooth and silky, with a fantastic dried fruitiness to it and a great after taste as well. The virginias confer it the right sweetness, with no bite what so ever no matter how hot you try to smoke it. The latakia surely is the prize here, while the Kentucky is not at the forefront at all (one might expect that since it is the first tobacco listed in the blend description). A reason I probably stayed away from this, and forgotten about it all together after a while, is the Kentucky that generally doesn't sit too well with my stomach. No problems on this topic though, none what so ever. Some have mentioned a reminiscence of burley, but I cannot find it there - nor is it listed in the blend description, although some bread yeast flavor appears here and there. The dryness level, well, the tobacco was a bit on the dry side. Not sure how it was supposed to be in a fresh tin, but I cannot complain about my experience. Probably if it came more moist I would have let it out to try a bit anyway. Over all, my only regret regarding this is that I may not find another tin any time soon. By far the best english blend I have smoked from Mac Barren - medium to high complexity, with just the right amount of latakia to make its presence known but not overwhelm you. Surely a 5/5.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 3 months ago #
  2. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It certainly is a tasty blend. I may have to crack open a tin myself.

Some have mentioned a reminiscence of burley, but I cannot find it there - nor is it listed in the blend description
    That would be the dark fired Kentucky burley.

Over all, my only regret regarding this is that I may not find another tin any time soon.
    We have certainly lost some wonderful blends recently.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

anthonyrosenthal74 ... I see. I wrongly thought that Kentucky is a tobacco leaf in itself, just like Maryland or other countless examples, I didn't think it was a burley. Thank you for clearing that out ..

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whatever tobacco hits the sweet spot is a great tobacco.

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's really a shame we lost Syrian Latakia. It had an irreplacable flavor for sure.

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. 4etecjonathan

4etecjonathan

Login to Send PM

It's not lost only harder to find. You can find it in Egypt,Jordan and several other Arab countries.

Jon

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

I do love Syrian Latakia. Happy smokes.

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad you loved it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I read that it was made with nicotina rustica back in 1890. Never heard that about latakia before.

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just never developed a taste for the stuff. I prefer the Cyprian version of it. One of the few times that being in the minority worked out well for me.

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

kcghost it seems that you are in the advantage here, since syrian lovers do suffer due to its disappearing off the market. Not a problem for you

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

I prefer Cyprian also. I have a half of tin of Gordon Pym which I hated.I may just have to get some blends that I do not like and have a trade with someone.

The walls have ears, the windows have eyes, and the wise man tells no lies.
    You can offer someone a cigar, but you can never offer someone your pipe.
    Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   derhammer, chefbenny, dino