PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I was sitting on my front porch with my wife and a neighbor smoking one of my cobs when all of a sudden 3 chipmunks ran from under the porch into the garage.
“S.O.B .” I yelled. “The whole family’s moving in now.”
My neighbor’s laughing. My wife is freaking out. And I’m telling them. "Of course he brings the entire family. Look how I’ve been feeding him.”
I’ve never had chipmunks anywhere near the house. Now I’m afraid an entire community of them will move in.
The peanut butter didn’t work either. The trap door tripped…but no chipmunk.
The S.O.B. is playing games with me. This critter has a high IQ.
No way I’m missing another nights sleep knowing now I may have an entire chipmunk family living with me. I gotta do something to catch them.
And I still don’t know how the ring leader got into the house.
I'm ready to sell and move!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I guess you need a barn owl to move into your basement.
or you could just sneak down there tonight and smoke a bowl of your heaviest latakia blend.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Set up a bucket trap. They suck because they are a horrible death but they work. You need a short length of 1 x 3, 5 gallon bucket, water, sunflower seeds. Fill bucket 1/3rd with water, sprinkle water with seeds. Create a ramp to edge of bucket with plank... Put a trail of seeds up plank. Wait. You can Google a design I am sure. I hate the damn things. I usually live trap larger small mammals... Eff mice and rats... And try to find their entry point and shut it down. But if you are desperate, the water trap works and chippys are not close to being threatened.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Embrace The Munk.
screen-shot-2017-04-23-at-54004-pm.jpg

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
My Father in Law has a nifty solution.

- 5 gal bucket half full of water

- sun flower seeds floating on top

- chipies think they can jump in and feast--place somewhere accessible to the varmints

- harvest drowned critters

Less humane than a live trap, but Geneva Conventions don't apply to this irregular warfare stuff

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
No, no. The rat bastard might be a good swimmer. He'll take all the seeds then jump back out laughing. If you are going to do it, do it right. Set the trap up with a motion detector on the trigger with a 5 watt laboratory laser aimed across the trigger.
Chipmunk Death
No suffering, no missed chipmunks, he'll never know what hit him. Just a whiff of burnt hair and cauterized chipmunk.

tinbird

Lurker
Feb 16, 2017
Glue an almond to the trigger of a rat trap. It's time to realize that live trapping isn't going to work for you. By gluing the nut to the trigger, it greatly ensures success. Cute as the little buggers may seem, they also cause damage and carry fleas.

A spring loaded rat trap will be the most humane way, outside of electrocution.

It's time to accept an 'Us or Them' credo.
Tb

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Another good thing to try might be a rat sized glue trap. I used to trap pack rats in our carport that were getting into the engine compartment of our truck. I just stuck a peanut in the middle of the trap and once they start across they get stuck. I had to tape the traps down or screw them to a piece of lumber so they wouldn't drag the trap off somewhere, which is a highly likely thing to happen. What you do with them after they get stuck is up to you... :mrgreen:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's my understanding these rodents can be trained for housekeeping. Slave labor? Perhaps, but a roof comes with a cost.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
"If you are going to do it, do it right. Set the trap up with a motion detector on the trigger with a 5 watt laboratory laser aimed across the trigger."
Do you expect me to leave your basement alone?
No Mr Munk - I expect you to die!
:twisted:

I had chipmunks jeopardizing the foundation of the house, and I would sometimes have parts of the ground collapse under my foot as I walking through the yard. I could never catch them in traps, and I am certain that all of youtube's trapping squirrel videos are bullshit.
I soaked the ground using one of those vole/mole hose-end sprayers - http://www.victorpest.com/sweeneys-mole-and-gopher-repellent-s8002

I re-spray the yard every three months, and I added eggshells to the beds around the house. https://www.amazon.com/Finely-Ground-Eggshells-for-Garden/dp/B012JU4YIC They don't like the sharp edges on their hands when they dig. It is best if you till it in really good.
I haven't had any since I started this routine. But, the squirrels are just as aggravating, but I can pop them off with an air riffle to keep the population in check. And, for a snack from time to time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any chance of borrowing a domestic cat that is a really good hunter to overnight in your house? Maybe a night or two? A skilled indoor-outdoor cat who regularly brings "gifts" to its owner will do. No need to stint on the cat's food. Hunters will hunt, and its regular food will only energize it; otherwise it will conserve energy. When fed, it will hunt well. Often female cats are the most dependable hunters, having to sustain both themselves and their litters. However, the best hunting cat I ever knew was a male who had been declawed (by previous owners, not my sister and husband, its ultimate people). He hunted anything and was the leadership presence with the household dog and visiting dogs. Go figure. He just had a leadership mindset. An affectionate buddy to people, almost seemed like a different cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.