PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Here's a modest tip for easily rehydrating tobacco that's easy and not messy. I'm sure it's not an original idea, but I called it a hydration chamber. See the photo below: You simply get a larger container with a wide open mouth, and a second container that you can put inside. The larger container needs a top, preferably with a waterproof seal.

img_0816-600x561.jpg

Now simply put a desired amount of tobacco in the second container or jar, pour some distillled water into the large chamber; put the second, smaller container with tobacco into the larger container. A tin of tobacco will float nicely in the large container and speed the hydrating process; the closer to the water's edge the second container, the faster the hydration process. Then just put the lid on the main container, checking and stirriing the second container with tobacco for humidity level. With a simple time, this will occur in a few hours, overnight for 2 ounces, depending on how much water you add. I've tried this chamber on three batches and it works wonderfully. Your main problem is getting the right size chambers: triy K-Mart or other stores where they sell in their houseware departments a contianer-withiin-a contaier rig. I think you will find thiis works very well.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've always re-hydrated tobacco by putting it in a mason jar. Then I take a paper towel and fold it into quarters and soak it with distilled water. I wring it out a bit afterwards. Next I put the moist paper towel over the lid and replace the lid. Let it sit over night and it's usually pretty good. You may have to mix the tobacco around and give it another go to fully re-hydrate all the tobacco.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
What I've done successfully, most recently with some Dunhill Flake that had dried out to potato chip consistency, is put the tobacco in a sealed jar, soak one of these guys in water for 5-10 minutes (tobacco humidifier) and let it sit for 5-7 days. After that time, the tobacco is perfectly hydrated again. Made me happy, I thought I was going to have to toss it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Since only evaporated water will transfer to the tobacco, do you think distilled water is really necessary?
For me the distilled water usage is just a habit now. When I first got into the pipe world five years ago and was doing YouTube and forum research on how to re-hydrate tobacco most people recommended using distilled water at the time.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I use distilled water because I have a CPAC that also instructs using distilled water for the humidity. My guess is bacteria can indeed travel on suspended water molecules, so distilled water, at the very least, is worth the modest cost. Glad you like the chamber idea, brass. It seems less messy to me without going through a major operation of soaking clothes and so forth.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
re Cortez's questioning the need for distilled water - some municipal water systems use enough chlorine that I can smell it. So I would first air out my humidification water for a day or so before exposing it to the tobacco.
hp

les

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Very simple and effective method! I really think this should be a sticky somewhere on this or the beginners forum. I'm with ya on the distilled water too. So many minerals and chlorine in tap water

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Excellent and simple method. I think distilled water might have less chance of carrying mold spores that could be hiding in plumbing and faucets.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Here's what I used for a pound or more tobacco. Spread the tobacco over the bottom of the large container and soak the sponge with the distilled H2O. The quart jar is just there for perspective. It took a good 10 days to get what I wanted the first time, so I spritzed and mixed to speed things up the second time.
pa090968-600x450.jpg

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
So, I'm wondering, Sparrow, is the widemouthed jar a necessity, or can you use, say, a Tupperware type plastic snap-top square box thingy? And is plastic okay for the wide-mouth part?

Status
Not open for further replies.