PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I just opened a tin of this, been waiting to try it for some time. When I opened the package the lid was loose on the tin but I figured no big deal as the tobacco seemed fine but after removing the contents to place in a jar I noticed the inner tin sides and bottom.
win_20170915_115148-600x337.jpg

That is rust on the sides and the bottom seems almost etched and there is a definite rust smell. I've never come across this before and thought it was worth sharing. The tobacco does smell very enticing though.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the informative picture. I'll look for rust the next time I open a tin of Hyde Park.

Lucky you caught the loose lid before the tobacco dried out. I'm gonna check the lids on my hockey puck tins just in case.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You buy enough tins, you'll get a tin or two with rust. If the seal is effected, you get dry, rusty tobacco. Think of cracked eggs from the grocery only at the grocery, you can open the carton.

Mike S.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I think a lot of tins are worse now than they were ten years ago. I've had more failures, more rust, lots of rusty crusty edges... and that's on tins that are between 1 and 5 years old. I've got tins from the 70s that don't have those issues. I guess it's like Roman roads, we've lost the technology to do it correctly!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't know that it's a loss of technology so much as buying from the cheapest manufacturer. I had a similar situation with two tins of Haddo's Delight, one from 2001 and the other from 2002. The two tins were of completely different manufacture. One was in perfect condition and the other was shot to hell with nearly dried out tobacco inside a tin that had corroded from the inside.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've had rust on the inside of tins from both Sam Gawith and Gawith and Hoggarth (even Mac Baren) but thankfully the seals were intact and the contents were fine.
I think the way to go is the aluminium cans as used by McClelland and others. Yes aluminium corrodes but not like cheap pressed steel.
Regards,
Jay.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I think sable has it here, the less expensive route to increase margins. I miss the days when stuff was built to last.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Assuming there was a change to cheapen the steel tins, it's ironic that in those days the Brits did not think in terms of 'cellaring' tobacco for long periods.
As far as rust goes, I've seen this in a lot of tins. Usually the tobacco acts a little more dried out, which makes sense to me since creating rust uses up water. But I've never worried about the rust itself hurting the puffing of the tobacco.
hp

les

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm thinking that if the lid was on tight it might have made a difference. I couldn't believe how loose this one was, as though it hadn't been tightened at all.
It's always possible that the original sealing was flawed. It happens. Failure of the seal is much more common with square and rectangular tins than with the round ones, so it's interesting that your round tin's seal was so completely loose, more so if it was threaded.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Back in my formative years, there was a tobacconist in the town next door. The owner, a cigar guy, would open every tin that came

Into his shop to check the contents. It took a while before I figured out why every tin I bought there was bone dry. I was always searching for Escudo then and they sat in my cellar. I didn't know they had been opened years before I bought them!

Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.