Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Hyde Park Tin Issues

(13 posts)
  1. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just opened a tin of this, been waiting to try it for some time. When I opened the package the lid was loose on the tin but I figured no big deal as the tobacco seemed fine but after removing the contents to place in a jar I noticed the inner tin sides and bottom.

That is rust on the sides and the bottom seems almost etched and there is a definite rust smell. I've never come across this before and thought it was worth sharing. The tobacco does smell very enticing though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the informative picture. I'll look for rust the next time I open a tin of Hyde Park.
    Lucky you caught the loose lid before the tobacco dried out. I'm gonna check the lids on my hockey puck tins just in case.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lucky you caught the loose lid before the tobacco dried out.

Yes, the lid was "falling off" loose

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You buy enough tins, you'll get a tin or two with rust. If the seal is effected, you get dry, rusty tobacco. Think of cracked eggs from the grocery only at the grocery, you can open the carton.
    Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think a lot of tins are worse now than they were ten years ago. I've had more failures, more rust, lots of rusty crusty edges... and that's on tins that are between 1 and 5 years old. I've got tins from the 70s that don't have those issues. I guess it's like Roman roads, we've lost the technology to do it correctly!

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I don't know that it's a loss of technology so much as buying from the cheapest manufacturer. I had a similar situation with two tins of Haddo's Delight, one from 2001 and the other from 2002. The two tins were of completely different manufacture. One was in perfect condition and the other was shot to hell with nearly dried out tobacco inside a tin that had corroded from the inside.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm thinking that if the lid was on tight it might have made a difference. I couldn't believe how loose this one was, as though it hadn't been tightened at all.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had rust on the inside of tins from both Sam Gawith and Gawith and Hoggarth (even Mac Baren) but thankfully the seals were intact and the contents were fine.

I think the way to go is the aluminium cans as used by McClelland and others. Yes aluminium corrodes but not like cheap pressed steel.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. jravenwood

jravenwood

Login to Send PM

I think sable has it here, the less expensive route to increase margins. I miss the days when stuff was built to last.

"It is quite a three pipe problem..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Assuming there was a change to cheapen the steel tins, it's ironic that in those days the Brits did not think in terms of 'cellaring' tobacco for long periods.

As far as rust goes, I've seen this in a lot of tins. Usually the tobacco acts a little more dried out, which makes sense to me since creating rust uses up water. But I've never worried about the rust itself hurting the puffing of the tobacco.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm thinking that if the lid was on tight it might have made a difference. I couldn't believe how loose this one was, as though it hadn't been tightened at all.

It's always possible that the original sealing was flawed. It happens. Failure of the seal is much more common with square and rectangular tins than with the round ones, so it's interesting that your round tin's seal was so completely loose, more so if it was threaded.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Back in my formative years, there was a tobacconist in the town next door. The owner, a cigar guy, would open every tin that came
    Into his shop to check the contents. It took a while before I figured out why every tin I bought there was bone dry. I was always searching for Escudo then and they sat in my cellar. I didn't know they had been opened years before I bought them!
    Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have Hyde Park tin issues, also.

Whenever I open the tin, my smoking room smells funny....

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, cigrmaster, mikefu, autumnfog, didimauw, morgansteele, alaskanpiper, ron123, ashdigger, cortezattic, jaygreen55, georged, brooklynpiper