Hyde Park: Out of GH&CoRum Flake/RumTwist and Don't Know What to Do!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
New Cigars
24 Fresh Barling Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I cracked a tin of Peterson's Hyde Park yesterday. This is one that I don't see many raving about. I picked it up because it's advertised as a Maple and Rum cased Dark Fired Virginia with Indian and Burley tobaccos. I love maple and rum, Plus this one is made by GH&Co. for Peterson. Also, I wanted to see how it compared to the GH&Co Rum Flake. Honestly, it's an offspring of Rum Twist and Rum Flake. Hyde Park is topped with the same essence as Rum Flake and Rum Twist. The floral/soap is there. But is restrained a bit. The tobacco flavors are spectacular. The Dark Fired Virginia in this tobacco could help ease someone into the Twist Genre. Especially when HP is available and the Twist tobaccos are sold out. If you're a fan of GH&Co. Rum Flake and its hard to find, pick up the Hyde Park to scratch the itch. I'm not saying that they are completely the same smoking experience, but Hyde Park and Rum Flake are so close that its a no brainer for those that love this style of tobacco. The Nicotine is medium to strong. It will ghost. So smoke it in the same pipe as your Rum Flake. I thought it was better in a cob. The briar muted the tobacco flavors and the topping a bit. I would definitely pick up some more of this. I will smoke this side by side with Rum Flake to decide if one really is better than the other and post my final assessment.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My b&m guy sold me a tin of this. I smoked 2 pipes full and tossed it in the stack. Wasn't quite my thing.
Four months later, I tried it again. The Lakeland had faded by half and I could then appreciate the good, underlying tobaccos.
It was a good primer for my current infatuation, GH&Co Dark Flake Unscented.
One thumb up here.
jay-roger.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm glad that someone besides me likes Hyde Park! I discovered this about 8 months ago, bought plenty to cellar, and perdurabo is spot on with his assessment of it! One of the best Peterson's has to offer in my opinion.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I think I wrote some personal notes on this blend about a year ago. It's pretty good .. tends to change a tad with time. When originally buying this blend I was not aware that it was a Lakeland, so I was overwhelmed by the topping at first. As time goes by the topping fades, which brings out a different side of the blend. The topping has its own charm though ..

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Ok, I've tried Rum Flake and Hyde Park sis by side. Yes they both have the same topping. Rum flake has a richer maple/rum topping and is less floral than Hyde Park. With the inclusion of bright virginias, Hyde park has a lighter character than the Rum Flake. Rum flake gets more bold in profile as it burns to the bottom of the bowl. Hyde Park gets bolder towards the bottom approaching the flavor of the first third of a bowl of Rum Flake. I think I like Hyde Park better. I think the changes it makes throughout the bowl are more rewarding than the Rum Flake. But I enjoy both. As far as Rum Twist, and its relation to both blends. It's the Father, Rum Flake the Mother, and Hyde Park the son.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I love Hyde Park, it's one of the regulars in my rotation. Have you had Rich Dark Honeydew? It's another one of my favorites. I'd say it's a bit lighter in NIC and has a bit more lakeland essence.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I'm a sucker for aromatics enhanced by a maple flavor over tasty dark fired VA's. Really enjoyed Rum Flake.

Your review makes Hyde Park sit squarely in my personal wheelhouse - thanks!

Added to the cart...

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Workman, I've never had those other blends. The tobaccos are the traditional Lakeland style.

Status
Not open for further replies.