PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
OK, I have a 30+ year history of low back problems. But nothing has happened in a number of years. Today I was ready to herd the family into the vehicle for church. I stood up and sudden pain. Not serious, but I am disappointed that I can't teach Sunday School today.
Really, can't I get hurt with a really good story? Shoveling snow, moving furniture, unloading a truck, saving a little old lady? Then I would be a hero. There is no dignity in just standing up.
Winton

Jan 8, 2013
Backs can be tricky like that, once it has been injured, the slightest thing can cause a flair. Hopefully you will get to feeling better quickly though.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
Wishing you a speedy recovery and some rest. Hopefully you can get a bowl or two in while you recuperate.
I agree with your "why can't I hurt my back doing something great" thinking. The last 2 times I've thrown my lower back out I was in the shower reaching up to wash my hair. Really? Am I THAT old? Am I really THAT out of shape? Arrrrrg.
Get better soon, Winton. :puffy:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I feel for ya mate. 3 herniated discs here and has troubled me for years. I still work, manual labour, cleaning processing equipment at a Chicken Plant. It's a trial for sure. Have missed only a week in the past year but constant pain every day. Take medication to stay on my feet. Like to tell ya it gets better, but........ Hang in there.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Know the feeling, just recovering from 2.5 wks laying up. The bad thing I think of all the crap needs done on the farm. Wife wants to move to a condo , told her when I move from here it will be in a box.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Awe, I hate to heat that Winton. Take care and don't beat yourself up too bad. These things happen. I hope you feel better soon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I started with the low back thing in high school (!), hit with pain so it made me see a blast of light. I

somewhat outgrew that. Running helped for a number of years, until the hip joints got a little achy.

Then gym machines and stretching. Then yoga for about ten years. Friends have had surgeries, which

seemed, in their cases, to make it worse. Abdominal muscles seem to hold the back in place, so anything

to tone those often helps, mostly walking for me now. Take it slow. Hope you heal well.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I feel your pain. After blowing out a disc in my late 20's, while weight training, stupidly, (go for the BURN, MAAAANNN!! said my "trainer"...burn indeed) I've had recurring problems, mainly with sciatica. A few years ago, my back finally exploded, disc bulges, stenosis, all sorts of good stuff. Spinal injections did nothing. Surgery looked like the probable solution.

What did the trick for me is yoga and regular exercise. Initially the pain was beyond excruciating but after a couple of weeks of daily classes and stretching, it faded away. I do restorative yoga, mild yoga, every day and that keeps the pain, or most of it, at bay. I may have to go under the knife someday, but procedures are constantly improving so I'll hold off as long as I can.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Winton, sorry to hear about your back. I hope it gets better soon. I hurt my back 4 years ago and did nothing about it until it got really bad a year ago. I ended up in physical therapy most of last year and what a difference it makes. I now have exercises I do 4-5 days a week and this is the beat I've felt in 4 years. Maybe you need to get it checked out. I was an idiot for not doing something about it when I first got hurt.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Thanks for the encouragement. It is getting better already. My worst experience was about 15 years ago, during the first week of a new job. My back freaked and I went to ER in an ambulance. Six hours later they said they could not admit me for back spasms, so they sent me home. Since I still could not bend, they had an ambulance carry me home and lay me on my living room floor. Three days later, I was able to stand up. I kid you not.
I will go to work tomorrow, but probably won't have much fun.
Winton

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Sorry to hear that, have back pain can be a real pain (not pun intended) I have has pain also for years and recently got myself one of those gravity inversion tables for home. You know the kind where you hook your feet up and go upside down. Has been wonderful for me.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Take care of yourself, Winton. I've had severe back problems for the last 20 years, and definately sympathize.
Just got off the phone with my 89 year old dad. He took a fall on the ice and cracked a vertibrae. Stiff, sore, and frustrated would describe him. Looks like a long recuperation - the hard part is I live 6 hours away, and he's stubborn and independent (wouldn't have him anyother way).

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Winton, never begin an injury story with, "This morning, as I was loading the kids in the car for church..."
Any seasoned story teller (fibber) will tell you that they always start with, "There I was...knee deep in hand grenade pins, armed only with a P38 can opener..."
Lower back pain is no fun. It affects your entire body. I feel for you. Hope it passes quickly and you heal up.

Dec 24, 2012
I hope you feel better. Back pain is extremely unpleasant. Take things easy and I hope you start to feel better.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Winton, I feel your pain, literally. I also have a malfunctioning lower back. it has laid me up for months at a time in the past. Fortunately, nothing major has happened in years. But, on occasion, something (what?) will happen, and the pain is nearly unbearable. Like you, I wish that I had an exciting, titillating or otherwise envy-inducing story to tell as to why my back goes south, but usually I have no idea what happened.
Hang in there and do the things that you know makes it better.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I too have suffered from lower back pain most of my short life (30 years). I've been rear ended as a passenger in a car at least 5 times, the first was the worst.. A fully loaded dump truck smashed into my mom's car at a stoplight from behind, she's had two surgeries. Thankfully, I was young enough that my bones were still somewhat flexible. I've found that hot baths (as hot as you can stand), yoga, and stretching help the most. I rarely take Advil/Aleve anymore.
I wish you a speedy recovery!!

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
Mr. Winton,
I hope you feel better and have a speedy recovery. I am an old infantry guy with many years served and many deployments. I have constant back pain as well. I would like to make two suggestions which could help you with your pain chiropractic care or acupuncture. I tried chiropractic care for many years with some relief. Then I tried acupuncture in the ear and loved it.
Good luck and hope you feel better.
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.