PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
So I have been paying special attention to this storm because my daughter attends school at Coastal Carolina University in Conway SC witch is about 10 miles from Myrtle Beach, she called today and said the campus was being evacuated, she will be going inland to stay with friends.
I know my daughter will be safe, I just want to express my concern for all in the path of this storm and hope all will be safe as well, prayers go out for all

Jan 8, 2013
I've been watching the coverage on television. Looks like this one is going to pack a real punch. I'm in Texas, so no worries on my end. For all of you that might be in its path, stay safe everyone, and keep your tobacco dry.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Me and the wife and her family were on dauphin island last weekend. Where Katrina hit. And at that time Matthew was supposed to swing west towards that area again it said by Wednesday. It obviously headed north instead. I hope everyone is safe in Florida.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am at sea, tracking South of Matthew's current position. Docking in Haiti in five hours, but no where near Port au Prince. Then to Ft. Lauderdale, seas permitting Friday evening. Sailing all day Saturday if all goes o.k.
.... For those in peril on the sea.....(Oh, Lord, we raise this hymn to Thee)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Here I am in Ocala this a.m. pleasantly surprised that I have power AND a working internet connection.

My ex lives in Vero Beach, and my brother lives in Kill Devil Hills NC.

I know people in the line of fire, but it seems to have been less destructive, so far, than it might have been.

Yeah...I'm already hearing that it was over hyped as a political tool, or marketing device.

It's not over for me as I'm about 60 miles due east of the eye right now, but I've been outside and it's holding up so far.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've heard NO reports of spin off storms/tornadoes inland...so far. I haven't even heard thunder in Ocala.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, so far, so good. I sailed from San Francisco about three weeks ago, ended in Ft. Lauderdale, where I got on another ship for a week of cruising in the W. Carribean. Booked it a month ago, knowing it was hurricane season, but probably one of the few times I'll be on the East Coast of FLA. So far, with reversing the itinerary, we've avoided everything but a very mild rocking. Tomorrow should be rougher, but then we port early the next morning. (Er, God willing)

I love this from smokingpipes.com...

hours-banner-verticle.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
We have friends from here in Pa who are in Haiti working for their church. They were posting videos every hour as the storm moved in. I have not heard from them in 36 hours so I'm sure that they lost power and are busy helping those who may have lost everything.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
My Dad and his wife reside in Cocoa Beach, a barrier island in view of Cape Canaveral. They are, of course, not there now but I sure hope they have something to come back to. They have a beautiful condo on the Banana River with a view of the Atlantic. Beautiful during normal times but it surely took a pounding from Matthew.
Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We're in central N.C. so we've been watching this with a wary eye. Right now, the tracking shows Matthew grazing the lower southeastern tip of N.C. then hooking out to sea. But we are continually warned not to let down our guard. I was here in 1996 for Fran which made a run inland with little warning and left the capital Raleigh looking like it had been besieged by artillery. It took months to clear and repair. I'm glad the storm seems to be headed away from the coast and won't get back up to the northeast where people are still suffering from the residual damage of Sandy, and I can barely stand to see the relentless loss of life and property in Haiti which has so little defense and so few resources to rebuild. You must retain a solemn respect for the unfathomable power of these storms; it's on a scale you just can't visualize.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Columbia, SC here.

Shouldn't be bad here, but it has been eerily quiet outside the past two days. Nature knows it is coming.
Also, this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYaH5nU1Ls0

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
My brother lives in Jacksonville, FL and as of a couple hours ago still had electricity and cable. Other surrounding neighborhoods were not so fortunate.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Prayers and thoughts to those on the coast. I have cousins in Savannah, Ga. They are supposed to get a punch. Another friend lives in Georgetown, S.C. on the coast. They could be in the haymaker as well.
And then there is SP.com. Friends there as well. So all, please stay safe.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Just begun to rain here in GA, I'm not on the coast though. My thought go out to those who are. Hopefully this won't be as bad as they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.