Hurricane Florence, Groan

(106 posts)
  • Started 11 months ago by mso489
  • Latest reply from Bill Nichols
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Florence isn't the biggest or meanest storm ever to hit the Atlantic, but it seems to be the first to head toward the U.S. eastern coast this year. I'm hoping its tracking will change slightly (selfishly) because it is headed right toward me. The last major hurricane to make an inland run was Fran in 1996, which made Raleigh N.C. look like it had been under an artillery siege and power was out for weeks. We had another direct experience with Felix in 1998, where our problem was flooding. Usually the N.C. coast takes the strafing and the brunt. People never think of the central state getting hit. Just hope the tracking changes and the storm dissipates before we see any of it here. Now we're right in the center of the track at the end of the week.

Posted 11 months ago #
  2. bouwser

bouwser

Login to Send PM

Hopefully the winds of change blow her north. Thoughts are with you and everyone else that could be affected.

Posted 11 months ago #
  3. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Last time I was in Raleigh , I was drinking ‘vodker’ with a couple of young women at the hotel bar , fun times

Anyhoo , batten down the hatches and stay safe , the wind isn’t necessarily the bad part , things flying in the wind can be bad , as well the storm surge and sea swells .

I’m further north , rare to get hurricanes , they tend to flatten out to subtropical depressions as they move up .

Cheers

“listen: there’s a hell
    of a good universe next door; let’s go”
    Posted 11 months ago #
  4. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hopefully she steers clear and away.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 11 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

Stay safe! I know exactly what you mean in the center of the state. We were in central SC in 1989 when Hugo came through the area. Massive devastation from the downed trees and wind. I know the coasts get hammered but it doesn’t end there.

Posted 11 months ago #
  6. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stay safe you pipers down south!

Posted 11 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I'm in Kentucky and we're getting flooding from it.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 11 months ago #
  8. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm on this trip right now and almost hate being away while it hits. I have to pass through all that on the way home. I'm in Bloomington, Indiana tonight, big visit to a couple nice tobacco stores tomorrow then it's back to my mom's in Albemarle for a few days and on the way back to Raleigh. I don't like being away when big storms hit my home.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 11 months ago #
  9. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Latest update tonight..If it doesn't change It's coming over us here in Carolina

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 11 months ago #
  10. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, the last one I really remember coming over us and coming that far inland here was Hugo, and I shudder to think of another Hugo.

Posted 11 months ago #
  11. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Moving this one to General Discussion.

Javan
    Posted 11 months ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jvnshr, Sorry, I thought that was where I started it, but I guess my click landed elsewhere. I remember deciding on that; oh well, my annual mistake (ha). The tracking sure doesn't show much difference here Monday morning. The other factors will include how much it dissipates over land (not much distance to work with) and if it curves north much or at all. And if it stalls and dumps rain. It looks like the coast will get hit, whether sideswiped or directly. They're already encouraging students to leave the Wilmington university campus and may order evacuation. Inland towns and cities just don't often see winds and rain at this level, so are pretty vulnerable. Trees down, power outages, and roof damage can be bad. I tend to do a "chicken little" routine in hopes that I'll be wrong. See, the more I flap my arms, the more the storm scorns me and goes somewhere else, right?

Posted 11 months ago #
  13. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

G'luck, y'all. I know a bunch of you guys are in the potential cone. 'Canes are a hobby for me, but I'm odd (& yes, I have -- lived through quite a few of them, being from south GA & having lived in the Pandhandle for bookoo years). Y'all evac, or "defend in place," & I'm sending all possible poz vibes your way. "Run from the water, hide from the wind."

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Monday afternoon, the wind's picked up and the pros seem to predict category 3 or 4 when it makes landfall. 'Sure hoping for some kind of salvation, a nice curve northward, but no weather systems are coming to the rescue. In the midst of Fran, my late wife said, "It seem like there should be someone we could call about this." She had a wicked sense of humor, but also that was the feeling. Yipes. The Navy at Norfolk and area is sending its ships to sea, as is good practice, since if you stay in port, the ships get torn up on the piers and rocks. I rode out what was described at a typhoon evasion in the South China Sea. If that was the evasion, I don't think anyone survived the typhoon. We had a round-bottomed ship (wooden) that had no discernible pattern -- it pitched, rolled, and yawed, and when you thought it had reached its full angle off ninety degrees, it would lean a little further. What a ride.

Posted 11 months ago #
  15. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember seeing some on the scene weather person doing a report on some hurricane, with wind whipping their faces, rain going every which way, and just utter chaos around them. People were out for a jog behind them. I know we are all bulletproof immortals here, but no one try that at home ok?

Posted 11 months ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everyone in the line of fire remember, the wind is scary and can be deadly, but what causes the most fatalities is the flooding. Don't drive through water or try to do recreational boating, or heaven forbid surf or swim. This is power way beyond what you can manage. Hunker down. Most people get in trouble after the wind is over.

Posted 11 months ago #
  17. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chasing Embers - that's the remenants of Tropical Storm Gordon causing the flooding. Florence is still way offshore.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 11 months ago #
  18. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As we used to say down home, "You know it's going to be a bad day when you wake up & see Jim Cantore doing a report from your front yard."

Posted 11 months ago #
  19. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I just checked my sump pump operation and french drain lines in the basement, all clear. I hope my 20 year old roof can take another season of storms....

Al

Posted 11 months ago #
  20. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At present (Tues a.m.) it's still way too far offshore to make anything more than a general SWAG where it'll make landfall, until at LEAST tomorrow (Wed) morning. Pundits are saying central NC coast but my guess right now is more like Cape Hatteras or Norfolk/VA Beach area or a little north of there. I've been wrong before but based on experience that's what it looks like to me.

Bill

Posted 11 months ago #
  21. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

I think there are 3 hurricanes approaching , forecasters are saying there could be as many as 5 simultaneous hurricanes in the Atlantic , which would be a new record

.. hold onto your butts

Posted 11 months ago #
  22. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yikes guys! Be safe

Over a million ordered to evacuate!

Posted 11 months ago #
  23. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

think there are 3

Yeah, but one will turn north way out in the ocean & the other is probably going peter out before it does anything. (That last could change, though). I'm talking Atlantic coast only, not westerly.

Posted 11 months ago #
  24. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Ya , there is Flo , Isaac and Helene , I and H don’t look too aggressive

Posted 11 months ago #
  25. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup, the only thing that concerns me about Isaac is that it might veer slightly northwest & pass north of PR, Hispaniola, & Cuba. If that happens it could become a problem for the Atlantic coast. At present I'm not seeing it, though.

Posted 11 months ago #
  26. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tuesday morning, the storm is strengthened and slowing down in terms of forward motion. We're right in the center of the predicted track in central N.C., so any shift a few hundred miles would be good for us and bad for someone else. No way this isn'g going to cause big trouble at the coast and inland too. The slow progression means it dumps rain, so flooding is trouble anywhere this one goes. We just had a new freezer delivered because the old one would refrigerate but not freeze. So we'll load up the new one with goods from the old one, but we will probably then have a power outage. Bad news, and bad news. We'll take any good luck we can scrape up.

Posted 11 months ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After Thursday, we'll be prone to power failure, so if I go silent, that's why. Otherwise, I'll report in and keep you posted. Any slight change in the graphics on the storm I attribute to the visuals more than the actual tracking, so it seems nothing has changed. Two days could make a difference, but no sign of that and no other weather patterns suggest that.

Posted 11 months ago #
  28. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

The ISS uses good old ham radio , like something out of 1975 , robust , powerful , stable , scalable ,not digital , powered by nearly anything

Posted 11 months ago #
  29. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

bluto, those are like the radios on my minesweeper during Vietnam, not the same frequencies but similar technology, and they printed out on teletype yellow paper rolls. Nothing remotely like that today.

Posted 11 months ago #
  30. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Looks like it's going to be the worst to hit that area in many years...We're flying Thursday morning from Sarasota, Fl to Newport RI for a boat show- it will be interesting to see how far we detour to miss the hurricane...

Posted 11 months ago #
  31. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Yes I know mso , when the going gets tough , during outages and emergency we always end up rolling the clock back by at least 40 years , if we want something sure to work.

I went out of my way to find a good analog am fm radio for everyday use . It's tough as nails and clear as a bell , largish SCRs and components , wired , not printed.

Spendy , but the damn thing will last forever and I bought one while I still could , they will soon be extinct.

Posted 11 months ago #
  32. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of my offices is in Raleigh (Insurance Restoration). We're trying to buy up tarps and other emergency repair materials and also stock up on cases of water to try and help people out just in case the hit is devastating. I hope it isn't. I was in Houston shortly after Ike hit, it's not a pretty site. At least the Central area doesn't have to worry about the storm surge, that is the most dangerous and devastating part.

For those in the storm path or have family/friends there, here are some tips for preparing for a Hurricane. Copy and paste to send to family and friends.

Hurricane Tips:

1. Charge any device that provides light. Laptops, tablets, cameras, video cameras, and old phones. Old cell phones can still used for dialing 911. Charge external battery back ups.

2. Wash all trash cans, big and small, and fill with water for flushing toilets. Line outdoor trash cans with trash bags, fill with water and store in the garage. Add bleach to sterilize.

3. Fill every tub and sink with water. Cover sinks with Saran Wrap to keep it from collecting dust. Fill washing machine and leave lid up to store water.

4. Fill old empty water bottles and other containers with water and keep near sinks for washing hands.

5. Fill every Tupperware with water and store in freezer. These will help keep food cold longer and serve as a back up water supply.

6. Fill drinking cups with water and cover with Saran Wrap. Store as many as possible in fridge. The rest you can store on the counter and use first before any water bottles are opened. Ice is impossible to find after the storm.

7. Reserve fridge space for storing tap water and keep the sealed water bottles on the counter.

8. Cook any meats in advance and other perishable foods. You can freeze cooked food. Hard boil eggs for snacks for first day without power.

9. Be well hydrated before the storm hits and avoid salty foods that make you dehydrated.

10. Wash all dirty clothes and bed sheets. Anything dirty will smell without the A/C, you may need the items, and with no A/C, you'll be sweating a lot. You're going to want clean sheets.

11. Toss out any expiring food, clean cat litter boxes, empty all trash cans in the house, including bathrooms. Remove anything that will cause an odor when the A/C is off. If you don't have a trash day pickup before the storm, find a dumpster.

12. Bring in any yard decor, secure anything that will fly around, secure gates, bring in hoses, potted plants, etc. Bring in patio furniture and grills.

13. Clean your environment so you have clear, easy escape routes. Even if that means temporarily moving furniture to one area.

14. Scrub all bathrooms so you are starting with a clean odor free environment. Store water filled trash cans next to each toilet for flushing.

15. Place everything you own that is important and necessary in a backpack or small file box that is easy to grab. Include your wallet with ID, phone, hand sanitizer, snacks, etc. Get plastic sleeves for important documents.

16. Make sure you have cash on hand.

17. Stock up on pet food and fill up bowls of water for pets.

18. Refill any medications. Most insurance companies allow for 2 emergency refills per year.

19. Fill your propane tanks. You can heat soup cans, boil water, make coffee, and other stuff besides just grilling meat. Get an extra, if possible.

20. Drop your A/C in advance and lower temperatures in your fridges.

21. Gather all candles, flashlights, lighters, matches, batteries, and other items and keep them accessible.

22. Clean all counters in advance. Start with a clean surface. Buy Clorox Wipes for cleaning when there is no power. Mop your floors and vacuum. If power is out for 10 days, you'll have to live in the mess you started with.

23. Pick your emergency safe place such as a closet under the stairs. Store the items you'll need in that location for the brunt of the storm. Make a hand fan for when the power is out.

24. Shower just before the storm is scheduled to hit.

25. Keep baby wipes next to each toilet. Don't flush them. It's not the time to risk clogging your toilet!

26. Run your dishwasher, don't risk having dirty smelly dishes and you need every container for water! Remember you'll need clean water for brushing your teeth, washing yourself, and cleaning your hands.

27. Put a small suitcase in your car in case you decide to evacuate. Also put at least one jug of water in your car. It will still be there if you don't evacuate! You don't need to store all water in the house. Remember to pack for pets as well.

28. Check on all family members, set up emergency back up plans, and check on elderly neighbors.

29. Remember, pets are family too. Take them with you!

30. Before the storm, unplug all electronics. There will be power surges during and after the storm.

31. Gas up your car and have a spare gas container for your generator or your car when you run out.

If you can, take a video of your house and contents....walk room to room--open cabinets/drawers and closets. This will help if you need to make a claim later. It will show proof of items and help you list all the items (help your memory, so you don't forget anything)...I highly recommend!!!

I also heard you should freeze a cup of water, place a coin on top after it is frozen...keep this in your freezer to help you gauge the temperature if the power goes out. If the coin stays on top, the food is staying frozen. If the coin falls into the water, the freezer thawed out and most food will likely need to be thrown away. This is super helpful is you have to leave and come back, as it may appear everything is still frozen, but if the coin is in the cup--you will know!!

Finally, anything that you want to try and preserve, but you can't take with you---place it in a plastic bin and put in attic. But of course, take all the important/irreplaceable items you can!!

Posted 11 months ago #
  33. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Best wishes to those of you who are in the path of this hurricane. Mark's list is a really good one.

Harris
    Posted 11 months ago #
  34. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hoosier, wow. I've done some of those and will regret those I didn't get done. Just back from the grocery which was picked clean, but I got a few survival items. We'll get wind on Thursday and the worst of it for us on Friday and Saturday it seems. Any luck would be good; a little change in track would mean a lot.

Posted 11 months ago #
  35. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Thoughts are with You Mso489,keep safe

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 11 months ago #
  36. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Nothing about stocking up on well aged pipe tobacco and laphroaig 10 year old ?

Posted 11 months ago #
  37. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipes and leaf were always at the ready! Thank you for good wishes, everyone. The hurricanes.gov site has graphics showing the center of the projected storm track having slipped every so slightly south of where it was shown earlier. This could just be wobbling. Right now it looks centered on Fayetville, better known by Fort Bragg, and Southern Pines and Pinehurst the golf resort area. It looks like there's no telling. In my experience, wherever it tracks, it might have a pretty wide rain pattern. The state will definitely struggle.

Posted 11 months ago #
  38. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Are you heading away from the center or staying ?

Please take every precaution and stay safe , we can always get more wood and shingles , but there’s only one copy of each of us.

Posted 11 months ago #
  39. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't see ammo on that list, hoosier!

Posted 11 months ago #
  40. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stay safe mso and anyone else in the area.

Posted 11 months ago #
  41. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My thoughts and prayers are with all you folks in the path of this storm. Looks like a statewide event.

Tim
    Posted 11 months ago #
  42. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Call your local Oxygen distributor and see if they have any blocks of dry ice. One small block will keep a freezer at 32 degrees for quite a while.

Posted 11 months ago #
  43. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buckle down the hatches and keep yourself safe mso489. My thoughts will be with you and all those in the path of the storm as it makes landfall this week.

Posted 11 months ago #
  44. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This one is gonna be a big one. Just heard a total of 40 inches of rain is expected. I got back from my trip from Iowa only to drive straight back to Raleigh, pick up my cat, pull the trash cans and other blowable items in the garage and drove right back to my mom's house in Albemarle. At least they have gas to cook with here, so I'm not limited to non-perishable foods. Think we got enough to out last the power outages. Getting back to Raleigh and back to work is a different story.

Best of luck to you Tom, and all the rest of you in the path. We'll all be fine, just a little soggy I believe.

Posted 11 months ago #
  45. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Tuesday night graphics on the hurricanes.gov site show the track somewhat further south, possibly an improvement for my area but not for our good friends at smokingpipes.com. The North and South Carolina coasts will both get storm surges. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for myself, but also for anyone else in range of this hurricane and all the backwash rain it will bring. Just remember, it isn't over when the sun comes out; the worse flooding is yet to come. Please hunker down.

Posted 11 months ago #
  46. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got back from my trip from Iowa only to drive straight back to Raleigh, pick up my cat, pull the trash cans and other blowable items in the garage and drove right back to my mom's house in Albemarle.

Kudos to you for getting the cat. There are always sad stories of abandoned pets in these events. People need to always include their animals in their prep plans.

Best wishes to everyone in the path of this thing.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 11 months ago #
  47. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My business is a bit like a Mortician's, other peoples bad news can be good for my business (insurance restoration). We don't chase storms, I just happen to have a permanent office in Raleigh (as well as Indianapolis and Birmingham, AL). I started in this business by spending a short time with a company that took me to Houston for Hurricane Ike. I was in Birmingham, AL the day after the record setting tornadoes swept across and devastated the State.

Three things that amazed me. One is how resilient people are (for the most part) in the face of incredible devastation. Two, how people tend to pull together (yes, you see the headlines about looting and other crap but they don't show all the neighbors and people working together to pull their lives together). Three is how quickly an area recovers and is essentially functional following the storm event.

The other thing you don't read about is how badly the scumbag Insurance Companies try to short change their policy holders. Yes, you have a ton of scumbag contractors moving in like Vultures trying to make a quick buck as well. Most are decent and ethical, some though should be hung from the nearest tree. Some of the crap I've seen is very depressing. The worst thing is to see Elderly folks living on fixed incomes and economically challenged families get taken advantage of.

Posted 11 months ago #
  48. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of my twin sons is an active duty Marine 1st Lt. stationed at Camp Lejeune. He lives off base in Snead's Ferry and that community has been labeled as ground zero for Florence's landfall in North Carolina.

Fnord3 is off to Georgia or Virginia in a few short hours. He was brought up in Tornado Alley, USA and truly appreciates the "Get out of Dodge" messages received from various government agencies and his base commander.

Tomorrow night he'll be safely enjoying the bright lights of Atlanta, GA or lodging with some old FBI friends in Manassas, VA. (They watched over him while he attended OCS and The Basic School at Marine Base Quantico and made him the third parent when their three kids activities pulled them apart on weekends.)

In the meantime, I will pray for Florence's victims and her first responders.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 11 months ago #
  49. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First responders are saints. The governors and mayors always explain that in the middle of a hurricane or other major event, the first responders are impeded in getting to an emergency (so if you're told to evacuate, do so). But being first responders, they are often willing to take staggering risks. The water rescue people are amazing.

Posted 11 months ago #
  50. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

They have equipment , support and training which most of us dont , safe to say that training includes knowing their own limitations and not turning rescuers into victims.

But , it does take a special type of person to take on those responsibilities .

Posted 11 months ago #
  51. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A correction to my OP with apologies, the second big storm to hit Raleigh N.C. after Fran in 1996 was Floyd, not Felix, in 1999, not 1998. I guess the second big one didn't make as much of an impression. Floyd 1999. We could still have dire problems here with wind, rain, and power outages, but the tracking isn't as dire as it was, if this unpredictable storm actually "obeys" the tracking predictions. It is moving even more slowly, dumping lots of rain, and may not affect us until Friday or Saturday.

Posted 11 months ago #
  52. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

It seems to have dissipated slightly , not as catastrophic as early measurements and predictions

Good luck

Posted 11 months ago #
  53. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[/quote]It seems to have dissipated slightly , not as catastrophic as early measurements and predictions[quote]

Surprise, surprise! The media likes to hype these storms significantly in order to increase the viewing audience. To be fair, if I lived along the Carolina Coast, I would likely be taking a vacation for a few days a couple of hundred miles inland just to be safe. For it to be a catastrophic event as far inland as Raleigh or Charlotte, you're talking once every 25 years or more. 100 MPH winds damage roofs and blow trees over (which is the biggest danger and problem as they knock out power) but they aren't causing structures to come apart.

Based on the most recent "guesstimates", the storm will hit land well South of Wilmington and Raleigh will only see the periphery of the storm. Perhaps 80 MPH winds and heavy rains. Let's hope the strength of the storm dissipates significantly so nobody, even on the Coast, is killed, injured or suffers significant property damage.

Posted 11 months ago #
  54. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Good lord , now Joyce is in on the action for a ménage a trois

Posted 11 months ago #
  55. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

media likes to hype these storms

Although also to be fair they *are* major events that people are interested in & affected by.

Probably the best example of storms moving inland would be Ike, which after it hit the coast a few years ago moved *600+ MILES* inland still at near Cat 1 strength, which is nothing to sneeze at. It hit Louisville, which being in tornado alley is prepared for winds that high & higher, but not sustained. Tornadoes blow through & are gone. Sustained 70+ mph winds will do a number on you if all you're used to is microbursts & the odd tornado.

Much as I like them, I'm glad Flo has downgraded. I have 1st-responder friends here & this will give them a bit of a break.

Bill

Posted 11 months ago #
  56. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I firmly believe that the media/weather guys are in cahoots with the grocery stores. These are the only times that the grocery stores can completely empty their milk and bread reserves.....

Still unsure exactly how one makes a milk sandwich....

Got my groceries yesterday to ride out the storm 2 hours west of my house in Raleigh. Shouldn't be too bad.

Posted 11 months ago #
  57. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Slowing to cat2 and widening just means it will be around longer dumping rain..

Posted 11 months ago #
  58. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Morning report from Raleigh: The tracking map has improved for us, but Florence's slowing is also widening the storm, so we'll get the tropical depression winds probably and much rain, though nothing like further south and east. If things are better than that here, I'm all for it. Flooding will be bad from the coast to I-95, and will affect low lying areas in central N.C. and apparently all the way into the mountains if the track moves north and west. Even Ohio could get some backwash on this. I don't plan to relax much until Sunday or Monday. The state will be fixing this for years to come, while they are still working on Matthew. The state officials, National Guard, and volunteer groups seem to be stepping up in a good way. All hopes and positive thoughts for those in the low country and at the coast in North and South Carolina. Don't drive through standing or moving water.

Posted 11 months ago #
  59. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear it abated somewhat , still have to deal with all that runoff

Stay clear of power lines which may be down , remember it can be three phase power and unfused..

Posted 11 months ago #
  60. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Frying Pan Shoals NC Ocean Cam Live

Posted 11 months ago #
  61. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stay safe out there.

Posted 11 months ago #
  62. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, NC got catfished. Florence said she was a 4, but she showed up a 2 with a lazy eye.
    But, still. that will be a lot of rain. Keep dry and thank God it wasn't any worse.

Michael
    Posted 11 months ago #
  63. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a bit more than lots of rain. Already seeing steady winds of 25 to 30 mph in the Raleigh area with gusts up to 40. It's reasonable to expect Raleigh will see some extended period with winds in the 60 to 90 mph range and lots of rain. That won't kill anybody unless they get hit by a falling tree but it will certainly cause a good deal of property damage. With that said, it's still a lot better than if Florence was a Category 4 headed dead on into Wilmington.

Posted 11 months ago #
  64. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Weather bureau is already giving flash flood warnings here in the mountains & it isnt even raining yet & storm still far away.

Posted 11 months ago #
  65. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been following this thing on The Weather Channel. It may not be a Cat 3 or above anymore, but it's still mean. I hope all of you in this beast's path are staying safe.

Posted 11 months ago #
  66. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pressure is already increasing, so it's fizzling out. The storm surge might still be nasty northwards of it, though.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 11 months ago #
  67. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's still a Cat 1 hurricane with 90 mph winds. That's still a big punch.

Posted 11 months ago #
  68. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sure got that right, anthony. Cat 1 will still Royally Kick Your Butt if you get complacent & let your guard down.

People will do weird stuff during 'canes, snow storms, etc., too. ccw, you were talking about grocery stores? Is da revolvin' truth! When snow (6" or more) would get forecast for Louavul, people would hit Kroger & Wallyworld & do just KraYzEE stuff. You'd see carts loaded with milk, bread, ping-pong balls, eggs... Whoa, wait a minute, did you say "ping-pong balls"??? Yeah, I said ping-pong balls. Why? Simple.

They were on hanging strips on the cooler doors between the milk & the eggs.

People would swoop through like buzzards scooping up anything & everything, whether it made sense or not. Swear to God, 100% no joke. Insane, just freaking insane....

Posted 11 months ago #
  69. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here we go. Wind is picking up in gusts. No heavy rain yet but coming. Rain may be the worst of it for us. If we can get through the day and into the evening, that could have be most of it, he said optimistically. Then of course, we must stay home and out of the floods. Speaking of the devil, we just got a burst of rain. This is how it will be today. Actually, Raleigh where I am, has opened shelters for people from the coast, so this is the oasis. If I fall quiet, it will be that I'm busy with tending to the storm or the power has gone out. Good luck everyone, and especially our friends at smokingpipes.com and everyone else in the direct track.

Posted 11 months ago #
  70. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck to you mso. Stay safe.

Posted 11 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pitchfork, 3rdguy, burleyboy