PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
This is a long shot but I'd love to share one of my favorite pictures of one of my favorite writers: Hunter S Thompson; and hopefully, get an ID on this pipe!
9Bm6mQnl.jpg

All I know about this picture is that it is likely taken some time between 1960-1963, either in San Juan, Puerto Rico or more likely some where in Brazil.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Haha ive always wondered the same, and am now realizing I know your instagram handle, and that it is on your signature, hahaha. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it is a Dunhill. He had a strong affinity for Dunhill cigarettes.

Jun 23, 2019
Interesting. Dunhill or not, it's a strong clean shape. I find it very handsome, which sparkled the interest I suppose.
Yes! I caved and signed up for Instagram. Not one for social media but I just love looking at pipes!

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Don't know. Here are a couple more images of the man smoking a pipe. Pretty sure that one in the car isn't a Dunhill.
e.jpg

rs-194124-156933707.jpg

1344952812-0.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Haha, probably a safe assumption that the one in the car isn't a Dunhill. Knowing thompson it's probably not even safe to assume it is filled with tobacco. I'll throw these ones in the mix, too.
thompson-pipe.jpg

iu8o91xbgz031.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Dunhill guy, nor a historian of the pipes, but the early photos may have been before the Dunhill brand went stratospheric with the prices. Our venerable member foggymountain who is a Dunhill devotee, used to sell Dunhills on Manhattan when they were priced a little less than Kaywoodie (if I remember correctly) which were then the Cadillac pipes. But both brands were within reach of the casual pipe buyer, "expensive," but even at prices in those days, not anywhere near as high as today corrected for inflation. Thompson was/is a fascinating character, a vortex of polarities. Wildly liberal in his habits, wildly conservative in many of his views, totally unpredictable in his behavior and writing. He must have had a strong system to endure all the chemicals he processed through himself. I think it's said his family complied with his wishes and sent his ashes up with pyrotechnic shells. I don't think he liked it, but he was honored by being depicted by Trudeau as Uncle Duke in the comic strip Doonesbury. I think Uncle Duke did mirror some of Hunter's behavior if not his literary prowess. As depicted, Uncle Duke wrote nothing, but was mostly an operator.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
His ashes were indeed launched into the sky out of a giant two thumbed fist (his venerable gonzo logo) along with fireworks. It was a shit show spectacle of epic proportions costing an exhorbitant amount, staged well to be documented on film, and attended by hollywood stars and other celebrity monuments to misbehavior alike with live music and what not. I'm not sure it necessarily aligned with what his actual vision was, but it sure looked like one hell of a party and those that threw it knew him well.
He mostly smoked a pipe in his younger days, most of the above pics (aside from the car one and the tv one) would have been from the early 1960s. Don't know where that places them in the spectrum of Dunhill prices, but again, we have no idea if these are dunhills or not, all I know is that he very muched liked Dunhill's cigarettes, often smoking them out of a cigarette holder. God only knows if that affinity resulted from earlier use of a Dunhill pipe. They do look like classic shapes though, but for all we know they could be Kaywoodie's or anything else.
And yes, Uncle Duke is a shameless (although comical) caricature of Thompson (specifically his literary alter ego Raoul Duke), particularly his passion for guns and his penchant for odd behavior and off the wall shenanigans.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Don't forget he was an instrumental character while riding in the crazed bus of the Merry Pranksters back in the good old days...if you are like me and were there...you remember some of the things you did but not all cause we were so sticking high on one substance or another....ah, yes...the good old days.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Don't forget he was an instrumental character while riding in the crazed bus of the Merry Pranksters back in the good old days
He certainly was. If there was anything "going on" in that "corner of time in the world" you can bet Hunter was lurking somewhere with a bottle and a typewriter. The man was present at nearly every significant moment in American political/revolutionary/counterculture/sports history throughout the 60s, 70s, and beyond. It is a huge part of why his writing is so interesting and unique. His desire to seek out significant events, insert himself into the story, and a very long leash from his publishers (with both time, money, and a tolerance for misbehavior) made for some of the best writing this world has ever seen.
I can only imagine what he would be writing today. It's a shame this world couldn't keep him around a little longer, but he was tired of bombs and football season was over. Without being inside the man's head (*shudder*) it's hard to blame him for deciding it was time to make his exit. Selah.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To be who he was, Hunter needed his audience and celebrity, the adoration and disapproval. Otherwise he would have just been a heavy drinking druggie with a writing habit. But he hit his zone, and he sure had the necessary talent.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
One Thompson biographer in the early '90s said he smoked Kaywoodies as a young man.
Wouldn't surprise me at all given the shapes in the photos, that's why I mentioned them earlier. Now I wonder what was in the pipe! He was originally from Kentucky, or as he liked to call it "The Dark and Bloody Ground".........
Hunter did some work with Iron Horseman and wrote about the experience. I could be wrong, but I don't think Hunter was hanging out with Cowboy, Keesey and Wavy Gravy.
He was with the Angels mostly during that particular experience, but certainly spent plenty of time around the counterculture icons as well. There is some old audio he recorded about the experience and you can hear the shock in his voice when discussing the sexual encounter he witnessed. "Just a Mad, Mad Scene."

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
My Sister worked for a family of brothers, one of the brothers was a friend of Hunter.

She told me one story of how they would buy a car, and a bunch of dynamite and spend all day getting lit and blowing stuff up.
Don

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My Sister worked for a family of brothers, one of the brothers was a friend of Hunter.

She told me one story of how they would buy a car, and a bunch of dynamite and spend all day getting lit and blowing stuff up.
The man was obsessed with guns and blowing shit up.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

Those times were much more conducive for that sort of recreational activity. Warren Zevon said he and Hunter bonded over blowing things up.
You really can't separate someone like Hunter from that era. Everything is different now.
Take the whole Fear & Loathing saga for example...it just wouldn't translate to the Vegas of today.
Those days had more in common with the old wild west than with the world we're in now.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
snagstangl said: "well now i want to have a smoke with pepesdad1..." I'm located in central north Florida...and if you can stand a smelly old man, it would be my pleasure!
The 60's-70's was a wild time in my life....nothing that I would not injest, inhale, invoke...free love was really free and so was the STDs but not nearly as bad as today...today I wouldn't use a pole with a condom on it...people are just nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.