PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
One of the distinct memories I have from my childhood is of a combination humidor/pipe rack that was owned by a friend of my Dad. It was much like the one pictured here.
dark_walnut_5-pipe_rack_jar-150x107.jpg

I'm frustrated that I can't seem to find any of these as new items. Are they one of those items that have vanished from modern use and can only be found in vintage stores. This was one item that has always haunted my memories and that I always associated with being a pipe smoker. Has anyone come across a place that sells these new?

keith40

Lurker
Apr 25, 2011
my son's greatgrandfather gave me his. he's 70ish. and it does look like that. check google shopping or amazon. they should have something like it.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Some B&M's still have them but, on the whole they are gone as far as I can see. They were really inefficient at keeping tobacco in smoking condition for long periods of time. As far as nostalgia is concerned maybe there is a business opportunity to be had here. :)
My Dad had one on his side table for decades with dried out codger baccy in it. I don't know what happened to it, probably a yard sale after he died.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Look on eBay for "Decatur" under the tobacciana category. They still make them, but don't know where else to find them. They run from low $30's to $100's for a large one.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I've been trying my hand at making one for myself, but it's been slow going.
If Decatur is still in business, anyone know how to contact them or if they have a website? I haven't been able to find either, and I assumed they had gone under.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I used to have an Aztec one, and have only seen them on eBay as well. The Local B&M sells used pipe furniture.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
The full company that made those, from my research at least, is Decatur industries in Berne, Indiana. The phone number is no longer in service and I found a flyer for a public auction indicating a "going out of business sale of a woodworking company Decatur Industries" in April (but no year)
So I do think they've gone under, but you can find good ones in good shape out there.
Hope this helps
Here's that link in found once on the public auction

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Has anyone come across a place that sells these new?

Interesting info regarding Decatur Ind. Mick, I've wondered 'bout them myself.
As the other folks have pointed out the online auctions would be your best bet followed by estate sales or antique stores. Of course the antique stores tend to price them much higher then I feel they are worth.
I have 2, one from eBay and another really sweet one found at an estate sale. I use the jars for match boxes rather than tobacco. Good luck in your search!
Here's the one from the estate sale. It's a Decatur, rack (lazy-susan at that), pipe tool, filters and cob for $10 (-:
empty12pipe.jpg

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Just bought a Decatur last night off ebay for $25. It round on a lazy sue, holds 18 pipes and has a jar in the center.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have one that belonged to my Dad.

It's a nine-holer.

I hang some of his older Medicos and Grabows (stems down) in it. 8O

And, I keep Brazilian coffee candy in the green glass humidor.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Fr. Tim, I came across a rack / jar in the attic recently. I'll check it out to see what shape it's in. May need refinishing. It's yours if you want it.
Remind me in a couple of weeks if you don't hear anything.

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
Wow, patiobum. Thanks for the offer. But only if you don't need/want it yourself. See I always knew us pipe guys were extraordinary folk. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Some B&M's still have them but, on the whole they are gone as far as I can see. They were really inefficient at keeping tobacco in smoking condition for long periods of time
I think this is the key - they look great, but aren't good at keeping the tobacco in good shape. So unless you are a one blend smoker, and smoke a lot of it, they probably wouldn't be much use. Nostalgia is another issue, of course. :puffy:

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
http://www.milantobacco.com/piperacks.htm
Father Tim, Milan has new ones in stock on sale for $104.00. One in teak and one in dark walnut. Website says they are both in stock...

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
Holy Cow! Those 12 pipe ones that Milan Tobacco has are massive. Oh well, it would just feed my PAD habit. (I can hear my wife screaming now :lol:)

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I found a 10 hole round one at an estate sale ( no makers name) and a nice wDC pipe for $25.00

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
I love those old humidors too. I've found a few at second hand stores( St.Vincent de Paul, Goodwill)antique stores but ebay is probably your best bet. My favorite is a Decatur with a glass humidor that has a hunting scene on tne humidor. I use it just because it works and it is too cool just let it sit on the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.