PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I thought I was starting to get a good handle on the basics after five months or so of piping, but I seem to be having a bit of trouble here the last few days. We're just headed into winter here in the southern hemisphere, and where I live, that means cold and damp instead of sweltering and damp (humidity is around 90% or so most of the year). Looking through old threads, I see that humidity often means more relights and more dottle. But how should I be adjusting my packing technique to get the best smoke? I am having issues with losing a lot of the flavor by mid-bowl. Don't know if that's poor sipping technique, poor packing, both, or neither. I mostly smoke flakes (cube cutting lately, thanks to some tips from cigrmaster and others), but do have a few tins of ribbon cut/coarse cut tobacco open, which I use a three-step pack for (or some variation of it). Any ideas?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I recommend drying out the tobacco under a desk lamp for 10 minutes or so until it's dry enough so that if you squeeze a pinch together it won't clump; rather it will spring back into the ribbons again. Then pack as normal. Personally I don't understand such kerfuffle about packing the pipe, just make sure it's not too tight or not too loose, and make sure the draw is unobstructed. On the charring light the tobacco should fluff up nice and springy, then tamp down: may need two charring lights to create a nice charred base to light and smoke. The idea behind a good char is it assists in an even burn. Some tobaccos leave dottle no matter what you do, but if you puff slowly and lightly you should be able to enjoy the flavors of the tobacco with little or no dottle remaining.
If you're smoking flake, rub it out well before drying.
Cold weather is great for pipe smoking!
Happy puffing!

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks, Dottie. I can't seem to find it now, but I swear there was a thread on here not too long ago about humidity making the tobacco burn differently, and affecting how the second half of the bowl burned/tasted, so they were encouraging packing tighter or looser, but I can't remember which. Got me to wondering... Guess I'll just keep trying to perfect the pack/draw, like you suggested, and make sure I'm not loading the tobacco too wet (may be the case recently, as I just rehumidified a couple tobaccos).

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Pipes in Louisiana we have high humidty, I have found even my best pipes need a pipe cleaner thru before smoking, now it could be my pipe room is adjacent to my shower room with washer and drier , but I find the cleaner thru the pipe before helps, also drying the tobbaco and for me a tighter pack.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
If its very humid, I'll throw my tobacco in the microwave for 8 seconds, spread on a coffee filter. As far as packing, I like the swirl method for humid days. I've heard that the air pocket method will work as well.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Pipe tobacco is best at 16-18% humidity.
I think you mean % moisture (moisture by weight). Really 16-18% is high, but depends on your preference (that's a good moisture level for aging, but not necessarily smoking). If you want to go by relative humidity, aim for 60-66% for smoking, and around 70% for aging.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/dust-in-the-wind-a-primer-on-tobacco-moisture/

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks, Old Cajun. I tried the pipecleaner trick and packing it a bit tighter without restricting the draw too much last night. That and doing everything (from drying to packing to lighting and tamping to sipping) with just a little more patience. And I got a better smoke for sure. I'll keep practicing away at it.
Re: the microwaving, I have seen people recommend that, or ovens, or hairdryers, etc., and it may well work, but for some reason I just don't quite dare to do it. Not even a desk lamp. Just seems like it would alter the tobacco somehow, dry up the natural oils as ae1pt said. So I've been planning ahead and letting it dry naturally for the time being, even if it does take forever in this humidity!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
We had a couple of sticky, sweltering days here this past week and I noticed a difference in the smoking experience. I started using the air pocket method and was rewarded with a series of pleasurable smokes that burnt down to clean ash. I'm not saying its a cure all but it seemed to help dramatically for the conditions on those particular days. It's back to being just cold and damp now. ;-(

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
All three work with little harm to the tobacco ,you are going to set it on fire anyway right . You should try DGT Delayed Gratification Technique basically light your pipe as if you were about to smoke it ,Now stop and set it aside for while and go back to it in 30 minutes or so .It aint easy livin in a swamp .

Status
Not open for further replies.