PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Wondering how much y'all have noticed the ambient humidity affect the flavor/quality of your smoking experience.
It is so humid here right now, that even near 10pm, when taking mason jars from the air conditioned house to the deck- you can immediately wipe condensation off the jars. My glasses instantly fog up.
Lit up my pipe- and had sort of a hot, bitey, unenjoyable experience.
Humidity?

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Yeah, I started that thread couple of weeks ago. Ended up smoking cigars instead. Pipe just wasn't an enjoyable option when we had our high humidity.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
I have always found it difficult to smoke a pipe in high humidity. I tend to smoke lighter blends with low or no Latakia in the summer. If outside in high humidity, I will go with a cigar more often than a pipe.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I am living in Japan currently and can say with out a doubt that humidity definitely effect smoking a pipe. Makes it harder to keep the pipe lit, does a little something to the taste, and makes drying out tobacco a bear.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Yeah its a shame that I've almost put a stop to smoking during the high humidity months of the summer. Spring, Fall, and Winter are all fine though...I find I get a ton of gurgle in the summer even if I try to adapt my packing an cadence to compensate. Just no way to get away from it sometimes..

pjhicks

Lurker
Nov 16, 2010
I can only smoke in the mornings and late evenings(as long as there is a decent breeze) during the arduous summer here in SC. Luckily(?) I leave for work at 5 am and am heading back home after 6 pm. The rest of the time I smoke cigars or just refrain.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
My biggest problem is when a big ole ball of sweat rolls off my nose and drops into the pipe, it makes a most unpleasant sizzling sound...

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I opened a thread about this same topic in July because I was having a helluva time then with the humidity. What I learned, and has been working is: First dry your tobacco more than usual. I actually started putting a pipe's worth on a coffee filter and microwaving it for ten seconds. Once it cooled, it was perfect. Second, s l o w d o w n. Slow the cadence down, and especially slow when lighting or relighting, as that is a huge source of moisture in the baccy.

Status
Not open for further replies.