PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2018
So as you may have guessed by the title, I'm having some issues with wet tobacco. The days are averaging about 90+ degrees for a high temperature with the lows not going below 70. The humidity goes from 60%-85% and my window AC unit helps, but my house is still hot and humid. I can let my tobacco sit out for an hour and it will still feel more moist than I like. I had fewer issues this winter back when I started smoking. Now, my tongue feels like a boiled fish and my palate has suffered. I'm thinking I'll have to stop smoking for a few days to let my tongue heal. Any ideas for dryer tobacco and to help my tongue heal faster? Would uncooked rice or silica beads work in the canning jars? I know to stay away from spicy foods for my palate's sake. Thank you for any help.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I use this low velocity hot air blower to dry tobacco as I need it, using the small aluminum pans to contain the tobacco (a lime is used for scale).

61wgamjqefl.jpg

41ptcqjbrkl.jpg

You might also consider a room dehumidifier. I run one in my basement, and it removes about 3 gallons of water per day.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
I always put a pipe full of tobacco in a tin lid and heat it in the toaster oven at about 180 deg F for 2-3 minutes. Sometimes I'll dry out a jar full the same way, for a little longer.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Georgia summers are humid also. In these months I tend to use the coffee grinder method more often for ribbon to help it dry. And I also use the toaster oven and the low velocity hair dryer as welll.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
so I think it's worthwhile to consider which blends you're smoking as part of the "problem." aromatics with humectants will absorb ambient moisture while modestly-treated non-aromatics tend to stay "crispy."
also your average mason/ball jar should protect your tobacco from becoming overly moist just as efficiently as it prevents it from drying out.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've used the microwave a few times 10 seconds at a time. I've thought about the oven at a real low temperature...haven't tried it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.