Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Huge Price Increase on MacBaren Tins

(112 posts)
  1. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

Greetings,

Forgive me if this was posted elsewhere, but I went online to replenish my cellar with MacBaren tins and noticed the price increased by approximately $5 per tin at most of the online retailers. Not sure when this occurred, but I think it was within the past few days.

Wow. I was shocked. I think I recall hearing that an increase was coming last fall, but forgot about it after time passed. Now I'm kicking myself...

Folks - we hear it regularly, but we're fast approaching a time when prices are going to go up and up and up on all of our favorites. Cellar deep and wide sooner than later my friends.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. stickframer

stickframer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My goodness. I thought McB tins were quite the bargain at 8 bucks and change.

That's a massive price increase. It definitely happened in the last few days. I would've had a major shock if I went to stock up and saw it online, too. I'm pretty new so this is the first I heard about it, thanks for the heads up.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is pretty amazing. I just checked my old order emails and, in 2012, I bought my 100g ODF tins for just over $11 a tin. Now, the same tin is over $20 at SP.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

JR Cigar has MacBaren cheaper than most, but you need to compare the bulk prices with P&C on one pound bags. The tins are all better priced than any body. If you go to JR check Rattray's prices, I've grabbed quite a few tins from there lately.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

SPC's shot up over night! Was checking out some of their pound bags yesterday, and those weren't the prices that I remember seeing. Wow!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yup, it's happening. Last time I bought 100g tins of Mac Baren they were right around $10 a tin. The hard to find 8oz. bags of Esoterica, $19 and some change. Still, pipe tobacco remains the best bargain in smoking. But for how long? The times, they are a changin'. Thank ya Bob

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

And there's actually some pipe smoking going on in this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, just made an order and a tin of H&H Lakita Flake was 20$, wanted it, ordered it.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. drennan

drennan

Login to Send PM

Will the other brands follow suit or is this just McB that are increasing prices?

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Just grabbed a bag of Plumcake in case they decide to jump again.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was going to start this thread last night, but decided not to for some reason.

Idk... It seems to me that the popularity of ODF has gone to Mac Baren's head. Not that I'm condemning them for it- it's the way of things. Like how gas prices go up in the summer because people drive more. Still though, a 100g tin of Marlin Flake is five bucks less than most of MB's 100g tins now. Is a little excessive, IMO. Oh, and $16 for a 50g tin of Capstan? Come the ffff on.

Jerod
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Craaaaaaap. Time to have the cellaring conversation with the wife again.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 4 years ago #
  13. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I'm glad I have more tobacco cellared than I can smoke in my expected lifetime.
    From here on out I'll only be sampling new-to-me offerings.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well thanks for the information although I really don't want to hear it. I then looked at my cellar and I paid $12.00 last year for each Cube 100g(Bronze-Gold-Silver)and they are now $21.00 each. My HH Vintage Syrian was $7.50 and now $20.81 a 100g tin. Now I did get them on special (buy 2 get one free) so my cost is lower then normal but even taking that into account, big increase.

I took the words of many on the forum when I first started and bought really heavy for the cellar last year and this just shows what a really good decision I made. Thanks to you guys I am saving money right now. I am at 127 pounds and 13 pounds more to get for my target of 140 before I retire next year.

"Folks - we hear it regularly, but we're fast approaching a time when prices are going to go up and up and up on all of our favorites. Cellar deep and wide sooner than later my friends." and I think no truer words can be spoken and I agree if you have the means, cellar as much as you can.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mars Cigars has the stuff at @ $14.95 for 100 grams.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. fmgee

fmgee

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Could this have been a predetermined price hike after an advertising campaign? Perhaps no one was meant to notice on the 4th of July.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is expensive, but not crazy expensive. $20.00 for 3.5 ounces. Rattray's is $16.00 for 3.5 ounces. Penzance goes for $20.00 for 2 ounces all day, all night , all week, all year when it is available. I like two of the MacBaren HH blends and I will pay more, but will buy more when they are discounted/on sale. If I did not like the HH blends, or the price, I would buy something else, obviously. Market forces will decide manufacturer pricing in the end.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 4 years ago #
  18. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Jackswilling........
    Patience is key here, save up your jitneys and when the sale comes (they always do) jump on it and stock up.
    I, too, feel that this stuff isn't getting any cheaper....... cellar wide and deep!!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 4 years ago #
  19. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"...cellar wide and deep!"

A most excellent motto. 2015 is the year of my cellar. I am really pushing the limits of my budget so that moving forward, post 2015, I am just adding a couple/few tins a month and the 2015 stock will carry me through the balance of my time here on earth.

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had some in my cart, should've pulled the trigger. Oh well there are alternatives.

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. jamesrsmithjr

jamesrsmithjr

Login to Send PM

16oz of Vintage Syrian, 46.03 in April, 48.53 today from SPC, still 43.89 at P&C.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have so much cellared that I only buy more when it is on sale...

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And I'd just acquired a real taste for some of the Mac Barens blends. I still have a few, but I finished off my Latakia Flake, which is mild but great (to me). This really throws the spotlight back on Hearth and Home (PC) Midtown tub blends, which are still a really good buy. Yup, buy during the sales and stock up.

Posted 4 years ago #
  24. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

JR's still has MacBaren products at reasonable prices, much cheaper than P&C and Smoking Pipes.

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

Cup O' Joes still has the HH MacBaren tins (100g) priced at $14.99 each. If you purchase five the price drops to $13.85 each.

Needless to say I placed a huge order for HH Vintage Syrian, HH Latakia Flake, and HH Acadian Perique. If I would have paid the newly adjusted price I woke up to this morning I would have had to spend a couple hundred dollars more for the same amount. Yikes. Close call.

Time to kick it in overdrive the rest of the year and round out the rest of my cellar.

Happy 4th everyone!

Posted 4 years ago #
  26. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy cats! $16 for capstan? That's just silly. good thing MacBaren isn't generally my go to. They certainly won't be at that rate.

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

+1

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 years ago #
  28. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, here is an idea - don't buy them untill price hoes down. Vote with your dollar.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 4 years ago #
  29. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I may be in the minority but I still find pipe smoking an extremely cheap hobby compared to the alternatives. I'd rather pay 20 a tin than have a company go out of business. An extra $5 per tin is what... 50 cents a bowl? Not a deal breaker for me.

Jordan

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
    Posted 4 years ago #
  30. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now I really got interested so I looked up the price I paid for my Capstan Gold and Blue, 5 tins on 08/15/2014 and 5 tins on 09/02/2014 at SPC and the price was, wait for it:

$9.68 a tin both purchases. I am just the thrifty little shopper.

Their price is now $16.15 a tin so I spent $96.80 in 08/2014 and now to replace it, it would cost me $161.50 or a 65% increase in a year. A reason to cellar anyone?

Now if you look you can pick it up cheaper right now but how long will that last before the old stock is gone.

Posted 4 years ago #
  31. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Ben88 said

Well, here is an idea - don't buy them untill price [g]oes down. Vote with your dollar.
    Right on, Ben!

Posted 4 years ago #
  32. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm also with Ben. There is simply no reason for MacBaren to price that high when there are so many other, frankly better, producers. I like MacB, but nearly as much as many others. I wonder how many of their board members even smoke a pipe?

Posted 4 years ago #
  33. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Per Jensen of Mac Baren Tobacco Company is a Forum member. I just sent to him the following Private Message:

Dear Mr. Jensen: Today a thread titled "Huge Price Increase on Mac Baren Tins" was started by Forum member beezer. He stated, in part, that, "I went online to replenish my cellar with MacBaren tins and noticed the price increased by approximately $5 per tin at most of the online retailers. Not sure when this occurred, but I think it was within the past few days." Would you be so kind as to respond to that thread and let the Forum members know the reason for this apparent increase in pricing? Thank-you! HunterTRW

Let's see if he responds.

Happy Independence Day everyone!

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 4 years ago #
  34. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ huntertrw,
    Would be most interesting to hear the response if he bothers to do so. However, from what I've read it would seem as though Mac Baren is not not the only one who has raised it's price quite significantly. Capstan from (P&C) from $12.10 to $16.15! I'm personally not overly concerned about it as even with my meager stash (somehow the term 'cellar' doesn't quite fit for me) I've more than enough to keep me going.

Not to worry though for those that are getting panicky. Peck's cellar has more tobacco than the three main online retailers put together and he can't hide that environmentally controlled barn of his forever.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 4 years ago #
  35. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Capstan is made by Mac Baren.............

Posted 4 years ago #
  36. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just checked my old orders on ODF and they range from a low of 9.38 to a high of 10.50 and were bought in 2012. It was just a matter of time before prices were bound to go up. For the longest time, Mac Baren had some of the lowest prices out there so I don't begrudge them their increase.

Harris
    Posted 4 years ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

cfreud

Login to Send PM

Plenty of other blenders out there. And better ones too. It's my own taste, but MacBaren doesn't make anything that makes me go, "Wow." So good luck with that price increase.

Posted 4 years ago #
  38. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They can't even blame the dollar on this one.

Glad I stocked up earlier this year!

Posted 4 years ago #
  39. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For the longest time, Mac Baren had some of the lowest prices out there so I don't begrudge them their increase.

True. Fair point.

Posted 4 years ago #
  40. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Capstan is made by Mac Baren

Yep... an oversight on my part.

Posted 4 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I may be in the minority but I still find pipe smoking an extremely cheap hobby compared to the alternatives.

+1...I'm with you on that.

Posted 4 years ago #
  42. geirove

geirove

Login to Send PM

Its unconvinient with price increase`s but for me personally it is/was expected, Im more worried about what is going to be available in the future, taxation and laws about internet sales. I do suspect that in the future we are forced to buy "locally" rather than buy from the vendor of our choice

Posted 4 years ago #
  43. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with ya! The problem is that damn TAD itch just does not go away...

"the weez"...
    Posted 4 years ago #
  44. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Price increases are only one of my worries. And forget about the FDA for a moment. I heard the other day that the EU is pursuing rather strict tobacco regulation that would require onerous testing for pipe tobacco and may well drive some of the prominent blenders out of business, or at minimum would cause them to have to significantly raise their prices to cover horrifically expensive laboratory testing for all blends. As with the FDA debacle, we have some time before that shoe drops. Cellar now.

Posted 4 years ago #
  45. aristokles

aristokles

Login to Send PM

Any price increase over here seems out of order given the value of the US dollar versus the Euro lately. In fact, the reverse should be happening (yeah, right...).

Posted 4 years ago #
  46. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yikes I just noticed 3 nuns is now 16$ a tin. I think Macbaren is going to take a pretty big hit in sales considering all the other good blends available for around 10$ still.

Posted 4 years ago #
  47. aristokles

aristokles

Login to Send PM

YooHoo...perhaps our esteemed Radio Show host who is presumably knowledgeable on this can give us some explanation?

I prefer some official input before I form a negative opinion (or more negative, actually).

Posted 4 years ago #
  48. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since Mr. Levine is personally acquainted with Mr. Jensen, I just sent the former a Private Message asking if he would contact the latter to inquire, on behalf of the Forum members, as to the reason(s) for this apparent increase. Stay tuned for further updates.

Posted 4 years ago #
  49. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Andy. Recently I dropped a glass jar with a full tin of 3 Nuns that was two years old- total loss. It was on my list to buy a new tin, but at $16- nope.

Posted 4 years ago #
  50. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, and $16 for a 50g tin of Capstan? Come the ffff on.
    I hear you Jerod.
    It means here it will go up to $60.00 for 50g.

Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

Posted 4 years ago #
  51. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Peck, will you be offering free shipping when it comes time to take profits?

Posted 4 years ago #
  52. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm betting that the increase(s) was well thought out. Companies do not ordinarily put themselves at risk without good reason. Various costs have no doubt increased and the manufacturer is simply responding to them. Perhaps labor costs have increased over time along with rent, taxes, regulatory impact, utilities, transportation, wear and tear, etc. I'm betting the smoker was not simply targeted in order to increase profits. They chose to continue offering product rather than shut down completely or sell the company.

If the price increase is too high, the company will find out soon enough and have to make another, serious and painful decision. Only very rarely does the "cost of doing business" shrink. Before raising prices wise companies lay off workers, modernize, relocate and/or try any reasonable alternative available in order to stay healthy and competitive. Raising prices is dangerous and not normally the first response a company turns to when looking to maintain profitability.

I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt as to motivation and attribute the increase to trying keeping the company's head above water.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  53. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cannot say that I foresaw the price increase, but it does make sense. Especially if you noticed that they introduced 50 gram tins not too long ago, and no longer only offer the 100 gram tins. I am assuming they did this so if people could not afford the $20 for the 100 grams, they still may be able to afford the less expensive 50 gram offering.

Posted 4 years ago #
  54. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have purchased other tins like Escudo and Capstan for about $10 for a 50g a tin. I always wondered why I got double that for the same price with Mac Baren. Honestly do not see the problem with this. I understand it was a big jump but I believe their quality supports it. I for one have a lot stocked up and still will buy the occasional tin.

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  55. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$20 is for a 100 gram tin; that's not that far off from other blender's 100 gram tins. I'm glad to see them offering 50 gram tins here; if I am trying something new, I'd rather have the smaller tin.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 4 years ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

" I heard the other day that the EU is pursuing rather strict tobacco regulation that would require onerous testing for pipe tobacco and may well drive some of the prominent blenders out of business"

No worries! They could just set up in a non EU Country. I hear Greece will become available soon.

Posted 4 years ago #
  57. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not Mac Baren's price increase on their own line of tobaccos I'm really surprised/upset about- as others have said, MB's tobaccos have been underpriced for some time; and, they're 1 lb. boxes didn't go up too much. The Capstan thing is the thing that bugs me. Nobody is charging $16.00 for 50g of tobacco. Germaine's, Peterson, F&T, etcetera upon bloody etcetera. G&H... Sam Gawith... G.L. Pease... Nobody charges $16.00 for 50g of tobacco. Someone please make some kind of justification for this.

Posted 4 years ago #
  58. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Because they can? Because they want to? Because they just want to irritate their customers, close the shop, terminating as many people as possible, so they can use the "big" yacht more?

What is so hard to understand about the economics of business? They have to raise prices in order to survive.

Posted 4 years ago #
  59. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They have to raise prices in order to survive.

Or, they could cut costs...............

Posted 4 years ago #
  60. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No worries! They could just set up in a non EU Country. I hear Greece will become available soon.

Very true, but they will still not be able to sell in EU countries without adhering to the EU TPD. The US will soon follow with similar, draconian new regs from the FDA. So there goes the majority of the market.

Folks, there is a new day dawning.

Posted 4 years ago #
  61. daimyo

daimyo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really only smoke two Mac Baren blends and have over 2 pounds cellared of each but it's still sad to see such an extreme jump.

Posted 4 years ago #
  62. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Folks, there is a new day dawning."

For sure yes. The nannies will regulate us to death.

Posted 4 years ago #
  63. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They could cut costs how? Cheaper leaf? Fewer employees? Compromise quality? Pay employees less? Take no profit?
    I would bet that costs are reduced as much as possible and that prices were reluctantly raised as the last viable option. These blending companies are not huge operations with a lot of options. Those that are wholly owned subsidiaries of other companies must show a profit or die, be sold, merged with other names and the marque lost.

Everyone of these companies has people that must be paid, rents to pay, utilities to buy, licenses to buy, regulations to comply with, materials to purchase, repairs to be made, politicians to lobby, insurance paid, advertising must be developed, produced and then space engaged, etc. All of these costs must be passed on to the end user and a profit made. Smart companies plow most profits into growth, research, etc. But, without profit companies shutter and die.

Not one of the companies blending tobacco is doing so for altruistic reasons. We, the smokers, risk a little money while the manufacturers risk everything.

Posted 4 years ago #
  64. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not one of the companies blending tobacco is doing so for altruistic reasons.

This is going to shock some people.

Posted 4 years ago #
  65. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or, they could cut costs..............

Much easier said than done.

Because they can? Because they want to? Because they just want to irritate their customers, close the shop, terminating as many people as possible, so they can use the "big" yacht more?

What is so hard to understand about the economics of business? They have to raise prices in order to survive

Absolutely. I enjoy some of the Mac Baren blends and I'd much rather see a price increase rather than the alternative... out of business. It's a business, and they're not here to make everyone feel all warm and comfy with steady prices that never increase. Either deal with it, or purchase from another blender. All in all, it's till a reasonable price for pipe tobacco and nothing to get your shorts in a bind over.

Posted 4 years ago #
  66. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren is a privately held company, has 140 employees. I have no idea what there financials are, but to say that they
    HAVE to raise prices to survive is pure speculation on your part............. EVERY company can trim some fat here and there. Kinda sounds like the Government saying "we HAVE to raise taxes to survive...... BULLSHIT!! I say raise the price some and cut costs some..... Raise the price too much, you die anyway.............. The market will decide a fair price in the end........

Posted 4 years ago #
  67. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup! I bet we have members who believe the blenders are making millions and enjoying the sweet life at their expense.

That is exactly why a price increase is so risky and usually not undertaken without a lot of thought. And, usually only imposed as the last option.

Edit: It is in no way similar to government raising taxes. The government does so at the point of a gun with little or no risk. Private enterprise raises prices and risks everything when it does so.

Posted 4 years ago #
  68. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At the end of the day I guess the market will tell them whether they made the right decision or not. They don't owe their customers an explanation for such a significant increase, but it sure would be an exercise in good customer relations to offer some form of expanation for such a rapid and significant hike, particularly when the pricing of their major competitors is largely staying pat (for now!).

Posted 4 years ago #
  69. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By the way, Klondike Gold is still $10 a tin when I looked yesterday. I think it is just as good and maybe better than Capstan. Just throwing that out there.

Posted 4 years ago #
  70. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the blenders are making millions
    I would say in this case, being a privately held company, that does't have to answer to shareholders-- yes, they(the owners, not the guys actually doing the blending) are probably making millions....
    They are free to do what they need to do...... I agree with Peck, the market will decide...
    I only smoke a few of their blends- Capstan and The Solent once in a while....... I've got a bit in the cellar, when its gone I'll probably not replenish at those prices..........

Posted 4 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   willyspiper, ben88, cossackjack, pappymac, pipestud, pitchfork, prndl