PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Greetings,
Forgive me if this was posted elsewhere, but I went online to replenish my cellar with MacBaren tins and noticed the price increased by approximately $5 per tin at most of the online retailers. Not sure when this occurred, but I think it was within the past few days.
Wow. I was shocked. I think I recall hearing that an increase was coming last fall, but forgot about it after time passed. Now I'm kicking myself...
Folks - we hear it regularly, but we're fast approaching a time when prices are going to go up and up and up on all of our favorites. Cellar deep and wide sooner than later my friends.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
My goodness. I thought McB tins were quite the bargain at 8 bucks and change.
That's a massive price increase. It definitely happened in the last few days. I would've had a major shock if I went to stock up and saw it online, too. I'm pretty new so this is the first I heard about it, thanks for the heads up.

Dec 24, 2012
It is pretty amazing. I just checked my old order emails and, in 2012, I bought my 100g ODF tins for just over $11 a tin. Now, the same tin is over $20 at SP.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
JR Cigar has MacBaren cheaper than most, but you need to compare the bulk prices with P&C on one pound bags. The tins are all better priced than any body. If you go to JR check Rattray's prices, I've grabbed quite a few tins from there lately.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
SPC's shot up over night! Was checking out some of their pound bags yesterday, and those weren't the prices that I remember seeing. Wow!

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I was going to start this thread last night, but decided not to for some reason.
Idk... It seems to me that the popularity of ODF has gone to Mac Baren's head. Not that I'm condemning them for it- it's the way of things. Like how gas prices go up in the summer because people drive more. Still though, a 100g tin of Marlin Flake is five bucks less than most of MB's 100g tins now. Is a little excessive, IMO. Oh, and $16 for a 50g tin of Capstan? Come the ffff on.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm glad I have more tobacco cellared than I can smoke in my expected lifetime.

From here on out I'll only be sampling new-to-me offerings.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Well thanks for the information although I really don't want to hear it. I then looked at my cellar and I paid $12.00 last year for each Cube 100g(Bronze-Gold-Silver)and they are now $21.00 each. My HH Vintage Syrian was $7.50 and now $20.81 a 100g tin. Now I did get them on special (buy 2 get one free) so my cost is lower then normal but even taking that into account, big increase.
I took the words of many on the forum when I first started and bought really heavy for the cellar last year and this just shows what a really good decision I made. Thanks to you guys I am saving money right now. I am at 127 pounds and 13 pounds more to get for my target of 140 before I retire next year.
"Folks - we hear it regularly, but we're fast approaching a time when prices are going to go up and up and up on all of our favorites. Cellar deep and wide sooner than later my friends." and I think no truer words can be spoken and I agree if you have the means, cellar as much as you can.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Could this have been a predetermined price hike after an advertising campaign? Perhaps no one was meant to notice on the 4th of July.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
It is expensive, but not crazy expensive. $20.00 for 3.5 ounces. Rattray's is $16.00 for 3.5 ounces. Penzance goes for $20.00 for 2 ounces all day, all night , all week, all year when it is available. I like two of the MacBaren HH blends and I will pay more, but will buy more when they are discounted/on sale. If I did not like the HH blends, or the price, I would buy something else, obviously. Market forces will decide manufacturer pricing in the end.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
+1 Jackswilling........

Patience is key here, save up your jitneys and when the sale comes (they always do) jump on it and stock up.

I, too, feel that this stuff isn't getting any cheaper....... cellar wide and deep!! :puffy:

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"...cellar wide and deep!"
A most excellent motto. 2015 is the year of my cellar. I am really pushing the limits of my budget so that moving forward, post 2015, I am just adding a couple/few tins a month and the 2015 stock will carry me through the balance of my time here on earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.