HUGE Present of Tobacco and Pipes from msandoval and sparrowhawk Just Arrived!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
9 Fresh Radice Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Mike (msandoval) came by the house a while back and we exchanged some tobacco. I really like the Abingdon he gave me, and got a PM from him a while back saying he was going to send me some, and some WhiteKnight. It just arrived.
Now I'm expecting a tin of each, which would be awesome, most of my tobacco left from the windfall is aros, my least favorite kind, and I'm getting low on flakes, which are my favorite tobaccos.
The box just arrived and it's AWESOME!!! You wouldn't believe the smell in the kitchen. Here's a pic of the box when I first opened it:
003_zps3ba49717.jpg

Way more than two tins, isn't it? I read Sandyman's kind note and dug in. Here's what I found:
006_zpsc37227dc.jpg

Itemized, that's tins of:

Peterson Irish Flake

Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake

H&H WhiteKnight

H&H Cerberus

Sutliff Golden Age

BIG 8oz tin of GLP Gaslight

BIG 8oz tin of GLP Abingdon

Two Friends English Chocolate
And baggies of:

APC # and a squiggle (maybe a 1?)

Lane's BS-005

A little cube of Briar Fox

Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake

Baker Street (from a B&M?)
And TWO pipes!

A Willmer? 5022 from Dorset, England: full-bent

A Ella or Elba straight cool rusticated billiard from Italy
Here's closeups of the pipes:
Willmer 5022

031_zps0ca04cc5.jpg

Ella or Elba billiard with cool rustication

027_zps2ee15999.jpg

Wow. In shock. Thank you thank you thank you. But that wasn't all. Mike PMd me that he asked Fred sparrowhawk what I liked, and Fred sent the half pound of Abingdon and the half pound of Gaslight! Both of them have already paid the postage to send several CARE packs out to deserving folks from the windfall, and this came out of the blue to me. I didn't expect NEAR so much tobacco nor any pipes, nor did I know that sneaky generous bastard Fred sparrowhawk would be involved - he's already sent me tobacco, postage and a cool leather pouch I use to dry tobacco. Sorry for the long post. Ok, I'm not sorry at all. PIPERS ARE THE BEST!
Thank you Mike, and Thank you Fred. I've really been wanting to try many of these, and some I've never heard of. All are exactly the kind of tobacco I like, and the pipes and Fred's involvement were a bonus. What to smoke first??
Wow. Dave :)

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Glad you like the selection :)
Oh, and the APC #1 is actually one that The Austin Pipe Club (hence the name APC) had custom blended from Pipes & Cigars. It's a nice blend with some latakia and a touch of aromatic whiskey.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The generosity of this community is wonderful to see. Enjoy your bounty. Gaslight, English Chocolate and SG 1792 are always at the top of my rotation list.

Jan 8, 2013
Fred's a great guy, no doubt about it. And Msandoval (Mike) apparently you are as well. Good on you both for an awesome display of generosity. Simnettpratt, enjoy the heck out of all that tobacco and those pipes! :) Congrats to you. Also, I'm not usually a fan of rusticated pipes but that Willmer is beautiful :) and the stem is the perfect touch for it. Beautiful!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Sweet! Already went with a tobacco I've always wanted to try: Irish Flake in the straight Elba. It's damn tasty. Thanks Mike (and Fred). This is a sipping tobacco if I ever had one. Not one aro in the box! Hee Hee!
PS Ok, so Gaslight, Chocolate or 1792 will be next. Must not fry tongue.
PPS None of this will be cellared ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The bluff and bluster of Forums guys is exceeded only by their generosity, which can blow you

away. What a great set of briar and leaf.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Like hell. WYD OPN, trailboss! That was the license plate on a custom V-12 Ferrari I saw. That said, I took a nap and haven't even finished this first bowl of Irish Flake yet - it really is strong. Definitely Guinness and not Miller Lite. Am drying a flake of FVF; that stuff is really wet. Maybe in time for the Cowboys game Sunday night...
Not going to send any CARE packs from this windfall, except my bro who pays for this house can have as much as he wants, and hopefully one pack to a poor piper who likes the good stuff like me, and I had to send her aros because that's what I had.
PS @Mike: You can't draw a 1.

Dec 24, 2012
Great gift from some generous guys. You didn't by chance hear a pitter patter on the roof just before the package was delivered did you?

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Enjoy! The generosity in this community always floors me. I'm sure you're gonna have a nice smile after your thanksgiving dinner. Happy Holidays!

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
That is just stellar - well done! Cheers Mike, still loving the Muhle razor and brush for my noggin.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Just finished a bowl of Gaslight. Apparently I love Latakia. It seemed odd for folks to describe it as 'smokey' (this beer is 'beery'!), but now I understand. It's thick and chewy and I love it. Still got a few pound of aros for a change of pace from the windfall, but now have a cellar I really love.
Fred just emailed me that Mike wasn't supposed to tell me that he'd sent the Abingdon and Gaslight. What a weenie! No Fredrik, Secret Santa someone you don't know; Mike did the right thing to tell me, and THANK YOU! Gaslight is even more cool because it comes in those little 1" bars, in paper bowls like a box of chocolates, and is sort of a Krumble Plug.
Beside the marrying of the flavors, this makes it taste better in the same way the wax melted over the Maker's Mark cap makes that taste better.
So far, the Irish Flake is one of my all-time favorites, as is Gaslight and Abingdon. Next up, Full Virginia Flake when it's dry enough to smoke. The Austin Pipe Club #1 blend will be interesting - Mike says it's a Lat with whiskey, and I've never heard of English Chocolate, Cerberus or Golden Age.
Pipers are the best. Am looking forward to seeing all the Secret Santa pics when they start popping up.
@peck: I thought it was squirrels.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I'm bumping this in case some folks haven't seen it, and it kinda relates to all the Secret Santa pics coming our way.
Irish Flake, Gaslight and Abingdon are 5/5 best tobaccos ever. A surprise was the Mississippi B&M The Country Squire's Baker Street - a mild yet tasty all-day English, also a 5/5.
Was really looking forward to the famous Full Virginia Flake, but dried it for a day instead of two hours and it was just OK. Will dry the next flake for two hours and it's rating should improve: dry and crumbly 3/5.
H&H WhiteKnight was another 5/5 home run.
Two Friends English Chocolate I'd never heard of, but a 4.5/5 for me.
I was surprised the Gawith 1792 Flake was only a 4/5. That one might improve for me on the second bowl.
Still to try: Lane's English BS-005, Sutliff Golden Age, a 1/2oz cube of C&D Briar Fox and sandoval's own Austin Pipe Club's APC #1, with Latakia and whiskey. I've never heard of any of these.
Lots and lots of 5/5 winners, and Fred sparrowhawk sent big 8oz tins of the Gaslight and Abingdon, so along with the pounds of home runs Mike msandoval sent, I'm set for a long time, and still have pounds of aros from the windfall for a change of pace (and two cool new pipes!). Thanks to mso for turning me on to the Lane's LL-7, it's quite good. I told my brother-in-law to come down and get as much as he wants, and I was sorry I get to be alone on Thanksgiving watching football, and he has to be with abusive relatives, and he's sending me beer for Thursday!
Looks like indianafrank and I are going to have a great day after all :) (unless the stinky Eagles beat my Cowboys, but I'll have beer and tasty smokes to try and recover)
Pipers are the best. Thank you Mike, and Thank you Fred. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.