Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

HU Tobacco - Red Sparkle

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

After a bad start with this tobacco I finally got to taste it's true nature. I got delivered a tin, that was so dry, that the first layer of tobacco crumbled to an ash-like consistence. HU apologized very friendly and send offered me a free tin of another HU tobacco (Scotney which I reviewed yesterday). They took care of the problem quickly and took all other tins of Red Sparkle they had in stock out of sale, because it had to be a production-mistake they said.
    Shit happens, we are all just humans and I don't blame anyone for this. A big thanks for the friendly support @HU and especially to Albert Bosch, who personally takes care of customer-service

I brought this tobacco "back to life" with a moistening clay-coin in the tin for 4 days.

The tobacco comes in a ribbon-like cut, with some ribbons being pretty long. Interesting, appetizing cut imo. The tobacco is supposed to come with pretty low moisture as I got told. Ready to smoke right away.
    The cover sheet with the compass reaveals it - it's produced by Dan Pipe (DTM). Blended by HU (Hans Wiedemann)

Tin smell isn't licorice at all to me. It's sweet-fruity, with a slightly sour note in the back, but very decent. All in all pretty tasty. Smells like an heavy Aromatic in the tin - but the smoke proves different.

Packing, lighting - no problem! Once it burns it delivers a rich, fruity and woodsy/smoky taste. A woodsy, yet sweet tone prevails. A bit spice and tangy from the Kentucky. Deep fruity notes of figs, plums and other dried-/stoved-fruits from the Perique shines through. On top there's this "licorice"-topping, which I can't identify as licorice at all. The topping is somewhat fruity-sweet with a slight sour note to it, that is pretty pleasing and tasty. The topping harmonizes excellently with the tobacco taste and kind of supplements the natural fruitiness of the tobacco. Kentuckys are the most dominant note in the tobacco. Expanded with a bit tingly and tangy Perique note. No Perique-bomb, but still a decent share. Virginias play only a supporter role to mellow the taste and expand the sparkling sweet- and fruitiness.

The taste really deserves the name "Red SPARKLES". It's a sparkling, piquant melange of fine ingridients and a very refined topping. Even tho the topping doesn't taste like licorice at all to me, it is perfect in balance with all ingridients and I wouldn't wanna change it. Maybe some real licorice taste would expand the taste even more, but its good as it is.

I wouldnt wanna call this a "real aromatic", as the flavouring fits well to the natural tobacco taste and is never obtrusive nor chemical or artificial.

A really unique and well crafted blend.
    Also I want to emphasize the friendly and personal customer service of HU (Albert Bosch) Tobacco.

A tobacco, thats definetly gonna make it into my rotation. Another thing to mention is that when buying the 50g the content is 50g, but the tobacco comes in a 100g tin which is filled to the top. No air in it left. The low moisture level could explain this. (dry tobacco = less weight). So a tin will last a bit longer, than a "normal" 50g tin.

My review can also be found on TobaccoReviews.com, and I'll be happy to see other opinions on this matchless tobacco.

Regards,

Deniz

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I don't know why the picture isn't working in the first post? Maybe a moderator could embed it correctly for me, I can't find the mistake somehow :-/

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your kitten seems either highly unimpressed or very satisfied. This is an HU blend I'm unfamiliar with. Great review!

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   chasingembers, ashdigger, ben88, sholto, josephcross, jiminks, tnfan, jpmcwjr, loadclear, monkeylyf, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy