PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I did a quick search and turned up nothing but PS studio hits. Anyone have an HS Studio pipe? What model and do you like it? I know Marty Pulver sell them sometimes, but I don't know about levels of quality or price points or anything.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
HS Studio is a clearing house for primarily Asian carvers. I have several of their pipes and think they are a great value for the price paid ($50 to $60). They sell a lot of bamboo stuff but I usually buy the Rhodie style pipes and have been pleased with the quality.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I've heard that their main seller on Ebay has been the subject of controversy in the past, but more recently it sounds like they sell great pipes for reasonable prices. You just have to get over the stigma of "Made in China" first.

May 31, 2012
HS stands for HUGE STONE.
There's a little background info here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/huge-stone-aka-hukes-pipe-well-see-how-it-turns-out

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
misterlowercase, let me say Thank You. I love when you pop into a thread to provide detailed and historical information. Thank you. You are a credit to our community

velotrain

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2016
I agree that they're good pipes and good value.
misterlowercase is not living up (down?) to his name ;-)
HS stands for HUGE STONE.
There's a little background info here:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have a couple hs studio pipes now. They take a while to break in and I alcohol out as best I can whatever foulness they coat their bowls in. But they are good lookers and have a good draw.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
A lot of pipes come with carbonized bowls. The HS ones have an odd smell so I try to get rid of it. Best bowls are natural untreated wood.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have wondered about them. They look all right and are priced cheaply enough. Do they use briar? The Chinese make me somewhat nervous when it comes to the materials they have used to make toys etc . Paints and finishes would be a question also. They are not known for being to careful about such issues.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
It sure looks like briar to me. lol
Others have them too and confirm they are briar pipes. Get in now. Looks like the secret is getting out. I was watching one today that went for 135$.
Crazy talk!

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I have two, one has a very good mouth piece and the one has a horrible bit. But to be honest both pipes look good, but neither smoke great

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That is too bad. I have one that I've smoked. The draw is awesome. Still has a tinge of the stank bowl coating, so I am going to sand the other one's bowl. I could have sworn I bought 3, but if I did, I can't find it. The two I do know about are *very* good looking for the price.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
img_0082-600x600.jpg

Got this HS Studio morta in the mail this week. I'm very happy with it overall. Beautiful shape, very well made, light weight, and smokes cool and dry. My only issue with it is the draft hole was a bit off center, entering the bowl just to the right. For just over $100 for a morta, I can live with it as the pipe looks and smokes great.

Status
Not open for further replies.