PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I know a lot of people like to use online tobacco tracking software, but how many people keep notes only with paper and pen?
I recently started keeping notes, and writing reviews in a notebook/binder that I will keep by my smoking station. I will also be keeping receipts in this as well.
Which ways do you keep notes about pipes and tobacco?

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I've got a small notebook where I sometimes write notes/reviews on blends, and record whether a blend is worth cellaring or not. Then I try to prioritize TAD based on these notes. I also jot down blends I'd like to try one of these days.
As far as tracking my cellar, I started with pen and paper, but tobaccocellar.com is how I do it now.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I just have an excel sheet for the pipes and pipe tobacco I am buying. Regarding the reviews, I use tobaccoreviews.com. I am not cellaring anything yet, I am just buying and smoking them.

Mar 1, 2014
99% of it is "work in progress", but I pretty much wouldn't have an opinion on anything around here if I didn't keep notes.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/21355

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
99% of it is "work in progress", but I pretty much wouldn't have an opinion on anything around here if I didn't keep notes.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/21355

Thanks for sharing it with us! I enjoy reading your notes! If someone else has this kind of (web available) notes I would be happy to read them.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I too use a small note book with dividers to jot tasting notes in. I also keep a list of blends I'd like to try and pipes that catch my eye along with other pipe related info. Though not completely up to date I've been using The PipeTool to keep track of my cellar. :puffy:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I have one of those fancy bound blank journals. I print out pix of pipes and bakkies, paste 'em on the blank pages and then record my thoughts and impressions. I have tried to keep a running record of pipe acquisitions and personal tobacco reflections in this journal. When the first TAD settled in(after about 140 blends accumulated or so), I found I had to also add an Excell tobacco inventory to track all that, both what I had, how much, and storage location. So I guess it's a blend of hi and lo tech. The fancy bound journal thing and hand-written inscriptions seems very consonant with the reverence, respect, and magnitude of personal enjoyment that I experience in Pipe-World. And I refuse to do anything pipes in a rushed or hurried manner... if I can't smoke, or collect, or enjoy the whole thing, keeping myself totally immersed and centered in that present moment, I prefer not to do it until I can. The way it works out, every pipe moment becomes sublime that way. Also, one of my sons enjoys pipes and cigars... I'm thinking someday he'll appreciate having a hand-done journal of his dad's experiences on the subject. It might even end up on mlc's magnificent museum pages in several decades!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Notes on my iPhone while smoking. Pretty simple to compare tasting notes over time to see the influence of age on a blend. I can access the files with my laptop directly and organize or edit them whenever I have free time.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I don't keep notes. I roughly know what I have cellared, and as I run through tins, I decide whether to restock. Also, I rarely blend myself. And I'm not a professional reviewer (I suppose my tobaccoreviews.com account does keep some sort of history, which I seldom consult - more of a write and forget habit).
In the event I make a mistake in my orders or whatnot... well, there is little to no consequence really :)

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I used to use a notebook and a pen... but over the years of smoking various tobaccos and blends Ive dwindles my smoking down to just a few blends and really only a few times a year I venture out to try something new... so now theres no need for notes. I try a new blend and I know whether I like it, if I don't I let it sit for about 6 or so months and re-try.
I will say that when someone starts smoking, I do recommend taking notes... tastes will change with different times of the day, moods, environments, etc. and notes is a great way to keep track of it all.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I smoke it until it's etched in my brain.
hqdefault.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I use a blank journal for all my cigar reviews, and have done so for several years. As for my pipes and tobacco, I use this. It was created by our good friend Pipe Mentor here on the forum.
http://www.amazon.com/Pipe-Smokers-Journal-PipeMentor/dp/150332933X/ref=sr_1_4?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1453161804&sr=8-4&keywords=pipe+journal

Mar 1, 2014
I think the biggest problem with keeping notes is that everything changes over time, you, the tobacco, your pipes. I guess maybe that's as much a reason to take notes as anything, but it feels like all my notes probably won't actually mean anything to me in a few years. Eventually you just grow to like all the different flavours, and the tobacco matures, and you figure out how to get everything burning, and your pipes take on character, and then you start writing five star reviews for every blend in your stash. "It's tobacco, and it's in my pipe, Brilliant!"

Status
Not open for further replies.