How Would You Repair This Stem? (an ISPD Tragedy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

6 Fresh Castello Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
How did you celebrate ISPD? I bet not like this. My wife accidentally swiped my pipe rack with her jacket, sending this pipe and two Taylor Ashtons flying into the metal dog bowl. Fortunately both of the Ashtons are perfectly fine, but this beautiful vintage Chacom Straight Grain Canadian. Dead. I can imagine two ideas for a repair. The first is to shorten the shank and drill it out for the stem again, effectively turning a Canadian into a stubby billiard. The other is to glue everything back together and cover with a silver band. Any recommendations for this kind of repair work? I have heard good things about Walker Briar Works.

P1080948_zps2nvvqjlx.jpg
[/url][/img]
P1080947_zpshenydkai.jpg
[/url][/img]
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That's called a "puzzle break". As long as you have all the pieces (and they are in good shape... not stepped on or something), and you don't mind owning a pipe with a wide band, it is fixable.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Here's a third option which is what I would do: Shortened past the break, fitted with a new longer stem and a silver band it would make a perfect Bing.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Explain that the fine for breaking a good pipe is the purchasing of 2 new pipes!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Man, so sorry that happened to you, and today of all days. I think the best way to go about it is to turn it into a stubby billiard like you mentioned in your post but I would definitely add a silver band,at least it will still be smoke-able.
S

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A Bing? The bowl looks too big and is too rounded in front. (At least compared to the Bings I've seen and one I have.)
Lots of good choices for repair! I'd be inclined to put the puzzle back together and band it.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Dang that sucks! The only thing to do is to have the wife buy you a new pipe to make up for the damaged one and for your pain and suffering on what was suppose to be a glorious pipe smoking day.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Omg, hpd!! I scrolled down to the pic and went "Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"! I'm sure EVERYONE here feels your pain! I sure did! Tragedy is the right word. May some skillful repairs bring this gorgeous pipe back into service. At least the dog didn't pick up a piece and run with it... ours would have... and that would've compounded the tragedy. From my past experience, dog-spit/snot adds NOTHING to the pipe-smoking experience.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
That is painful!
The only guy i'd even consider letting fix that is George dibos! The same georged that explained the puzzle break in this very thread.
Whatever you decide, good luck!

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Too bad! I would send it to Mark Tinsky who will fix it perfectly! He has repaired pipes for me, expert job!
http://www.amsmoke.com
http://webshop.amsmoke.com/Repairs/Band/

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
An unfortunate incident for sure; however, the good news is that it's repairable in some fashion and you'll still enjoy the experience. So not all is lost.
Best on your chosen repair.

hirsute

Lurker
Jun 10, 2015
Keep us posted and let us know who you go with and the end results. It's a real bummer but definitely fixable and (knock on wood) it would be good to know who you went to and the end result in case this ever happens to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.