PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
In the reading about the coming new regs by the FDA, those concerning the variety of blends (help me if I'm misinterpreting this), just how would the gov regulate new blends when thousands of companies "change" their formulations--"New! Improved Flavor!"--all the time when quite probably there is no change to speak of, at least not one identifiable by outsiders, or those that are trade secrets (think Coca Cola lets the FDA know the formula for Coke?). In other words, I suspect the FDA will find it impossible to enforce this aspect of the law. Better to be concerned with increased taxes. Am I misinterpreting anything here?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My guess is they will request compliance, spot check and use heavy fines. Fines sufficient to put small blenders out of business should they run a foul of the Government. I would presume they will also be empowered to prevent importation of an offending producer's products. Certain trade agreements will enter into the decisions. Ultimately, the FDA has the full power and might of the US Government to enforce compliance. We pay for thousands of attorneys to enforce such regs and armed officers to see that such regulations are adhered to. Then some company has to hire attorneys to represent his side against the opposing attorneys he pays to prosecute himself. I used to love to point that paradox out to drunk drivers and such. You pay for your prosecution and your own defense.
With regard to Coke and other "secret" formulae they aren't secret. They are protected in various ways but, available testing would provide the ingredients and ratios easily and quickly.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I stil wonder if the leverage of such spectacular force would bring down upon them the last thing they want to see--the scrutiny of the public over what is ultimately a very little thing? My instincts still suggest it would take decades to actually make these laws enforceable. I suppose we'll see soon enough.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Sparrow, walk into your local liquor store and ask about the ATF, that is if they're not ABC. Same for the tobacco stores. My argument is that congress gave these powers over to the FDA, that's illegal. A branch of government is forbidden to pass its authority to another branch. Last time I checked, the FDA wasn't a branch of government in the US. Problem's solved. But the American people are asleep.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The FDA does not have the power to tax, not do they want it. Their sights are set on getting rid of tobacco, period. They won't, of course, but they'll put a dent in the supply and innovation. You can bet that they will petition Congress for more agents to enforce the new ruling. Then the question becomes, what do you do with all of these agents after many tobacco houses are out of business?

Regarding B&M's, they'll find a few that are not in compliance and make an example of them. All they need now are the jack boots.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Both points by both gents are well taken. As mentioned earlier, they don't know what they're going to do. Neither do we.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In the reading about the coming new regs by the FDA, those concerning the variety of blends (help me if I'm misinterpreting this), just how would the gov regulate new blends when thousands of companies "change" their formulations--"New! Improved Flavor!"--all the time when quite probably there is no change to speak of, at least not one identifiable by outsiders, or those that are trade secrets (think Coca Cola lets the FDA know the formula for Coke?)
Well, for one thing, manufacturers won't be able to use modifiers like "new and improved!!" in their labeling or advertising. The list and percentages of ingredients will have to be given to the FDA as well. If these requirements aren't met the product will have to be discontinued by August 8th 2019 at the latest. Undoubtedly there will be inspections of facilities. Somehow, I don't see manufacturers and B&M's taking a defiant stand here if court challenges fail. They'll just sell what gives them the least amount of problems. It's not like there won't be something in the neighborhood of a couple of thousand blends left to choose from, at least initially. Evidently, there's over 6,000 now.

May 4, 2015
It's not like there won't be something in the neighborhood of a couple of thousand blends left to choose from, at least initially.
In theory, yes. But just because a manufacturer CAN keep a blend around until 2018 doesn't mean they necessarily will. If they have no intentions of seeking approval, I suspect many will slim the line up well before that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In theory, yes. But just because a manufacturer CAN keep a blend around until 2018 doesn't mean they necessarily will. If they have no intentions of seeking approval, I suspect many will slim the line up well before that.
Oh, yeah, absolutely. But I'm referring to pre 2007 blends as potentially numbering around 2,000. Who knows, it could end up being 1,000. Still better than Australia, where you have something like 3.
I would expect that manufacturers would kill off a lot of so so performers rather than spend money to try to keep them around for a couple of more years.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
How Wll FDA Enforce?
They're forming a special task force of Ringwraiths mounted on Pteradactyls. Violators will be carried away to re-education camps in Mordor (unless of course the Pteradactyls haven't had lunch yet).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...or the whole thing will get bogged down in endless bureaucratic hoopla and though it sound draconian, it won't amount to much. Hold good thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.