PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
Hello everybody! This Haunted Bookshop is my favorite and what I smoke almost all day long. And I cellar a lot, and buy probalby 2-3 lbs every month to secure being able to smoke my favourite drug. You never know when the next tax increase comes over the cornr or when the customs in my country crack down on tobacco from my favourite retailer. Anyhow, the oldest jar of this Haunted Bookshop that I own isn't older than 6-8 months and I really can't taste any difference between the new stuff and the old. And I know that burley, the main ingredient in HB, doesn't age as well/at all as virginia tobacco does. But will there be a change of time, for 5 years, 10 years? What is the oldest specimen of Haunted Bookshop you've ever smoked and how does it compare to the fresh batch?
Kind Regards

Frankie the monster troll

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think the oldest I've smoked was about 10 months and I noticed a distinct difference. To me, fresh HB is a little harsh/acrid (though I like it), but after a few months it really mellows out. Older tins of the stuff are really hard to find, but jarring the bulk should allow for some interesting changes.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Haunted Bookshop is my favorite and what I smoke almost all day long
One tough smoker IMHO!
The sample I got came in a bag and was already fairly dry.

I smoked some right away but put most of the bag in a jar with a damp q-tip taped to the lid.

After about 2 months I popped it open to try it again.

It was more flavorful and not quite as harsh but still not an all day smoke for me.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
After reading the OP I opened a jar of HB that was put up in March, 2009 -- 5 yrs. ago.

While I don't have anything younger by which to make a comparison, I have to say it is

every bit as good as I remember it. I think the Burley is a little bit more forward, and

the Perique isn't as peppery (although I never thought HB was particularly peppery anyway.)

The Virginia seems to have taken half a step back in sweetness, and the Perique seems softer.
This older stuff doesn't seem to be as musty as I remember, but if that's what you liked about

it when it was young, it's still there for you. In sum, HB tolerates 5 yrs. of aging, but I wouldn't

make any sacrifices just to get it to that stage. To me, the fresh stuff doesn't need improvement.

Don't be afraid to store HB for the long haul; it'll store very well in a Mason jar.

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
Corte,
Thank you! I don't store the tobacco hoping it will improve, but for the inevitable ban on tobacco that sure will come. Or if they just tax the sh*t out of tobacco products that it will be un-economical to smoke.
I do like HB new and fresh, so perhaps the title would have been, "Can I look forward to a lesser smoke within year to come". :)
I always smoke the oldest tin in my collection when I grab a new one. My tobacco purchase have taken a industrial turn, so to speak, or it's more methodical now than before. I only buy bulk Haunted Bookshop. Don't seem to care for any other blends, feel I can't afford to either. It's a race against the clock.
Unfortunately there's no one in europe who produce quality burley blends and so there for I have to import from the US and a lot of money goes into the shipping cost. But it is worth it IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.