PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So Ive been cleaning pipes and polishing etc., sometimes wax will build up in the pits or cracks of a rusticated pipe and with carnuba for example leave a yellow spot. How do you guys avoid this when rewaxing?

Reactions: Alan Learned

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I use shoe brushes with farely stiff bristles that I keep just for this job. I wax with a buffer and then use the brush to get in to the rustication.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just a wee bit of carnuba on the buffer for rusticated finished and a VERY light touch. I hate over-buffed rusticated pipes, they are ruined. Halycon II by hand is easy for simple clean-up.

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=D&srch=DD&item=halcyon

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The Halcyon II is pretty good stuff. I like to apply it with a tiny brush to work it down into all the nooks and crannies. Use a soft brush to "buff" it and finish up with a soft cotton cloth.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
The most part of rusticated pipes have a shellac finish so no wax is needed otherwise the deep parts of rustication will come opaque , a tissue with a light natural oil will help

Maurizio

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
To get rid of embedded/solid old wax I run a lighter or match over it until it softens (not melts) and then rub briskly with an old toothbrush.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Use a soft brush to "buff" it and finish up with a soft cotton cloth.
+1

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I use "Briar Pipe Wipe" it come in a spray can. All you do is, spray some on a handy wipe, let it dry and wipe your pipes with it. It won't leave anything in the rough spots. :D

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The most part of rusticated pipes have a shellac finish so no wax is needed otherwise the deep parts of rustication will come opaque , a tissue with a light natural oil will help

Maurizio
I have just started using shellac on the rusticated pipes I make. I really like the way it looks.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I've buffed rusticated in the past with carnuba and as already mentioned, used very little wax and a very light touch. They turned out great using that method.

Status
Not open for further replies.