PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

augusto

Lurker
Feb 7, 2014
São Paulo - Brazil
Hi everyone!
I started smoking pipes in the end of 2013, and I have been looking at many tobacco reviews that says that some are stronger in nicotine than others. How can you tell if it has a high or low nicotine level? Is it the taste of the tobacco itself? I think it is valid to let you know that I have never smoked cigarettes.
Thanks in advance!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
lol ... +1 cosmic
Also, be wary of reviewers because we each have our own tolerances.

Some reviews may have been done on an empty stomach thereby compounding the feeling as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's difficult to describe the buzz, but once you've had it, you know, and you know the intensity.

I have never gone after that effect, but when I encounter it, it is pleasant. But I want to know

beforehand what the nicotine level of a particular blend might be. I'm aging a tin of Dunhill's

Royal Yacht, but I've been warned; I'll smoke it in a small bowl pipe very tentatively until I get

the hang of it.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Cut up some Brown or Black rope and smoke it in a big bowl all the way to the bottom, after that everything is mild . :crazy:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If you walk into walls and shrubbery after smoking, that would be a heavy nic blend for you. I have almost done this on a couple blends.
Winton

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There really is no way to tell how much nicotine is in a blend and how it will effect you.
You will know it when it happens. I typically get a bit of a headache, dizziness, and the sweats.
My advice would be if you're trying a new blend make sure it's after a light snack at the least and sip on a some water while smoking it. It's also a good idea to keep a chocolate bar handy. I've heard that's a good cure when you feel an overload of nicotine coming on.

Jan 8, 2013
My method, which I openly admit is not for everyone, is to smoke a bowl of it first thing in the morning, before eating. If it kicks my ass then, it will probably be great throughout the day.
But hey, I have been smoking a pack a day for almost 20 years, so heavy nic is something I enjoy.

Rincewind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Kevin has a sticky post you will notice at the forum main page under Latest Discussions entitled Tobacco Basics-Nicotine & Sugar Content-Curing Methods that should help tremendously in giving you a broad overview of the topic.

That sticky list is accurate, but there are many factors that plays into how we absorbs the nicotine. Yes, burley has more and Virginia has less nicotine. However, the acids in the Virginias makes the nicotine more absorbent into our bloodstream through the small blood vessels of our mouth and sinuses. The high PH base of burleys makes it less absorbent, unless inhaled.

This is why burley heavy aromatics don't give us the nic kick. However, Virginia flakes can. Yet the Va/Burs are the heaviest in its effects, because the Virginias supply the acid for absorption and the burleys the nicotine.

Or, at least this is what I have come to understand through all of the discussions on here. It seems to make the most sense when you look at the blends and how they effect us.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I’m 67 years old and relatively new to pipe smoking and have been smoking cigarettes for 50+ years, so I’ll give it my perspective as to any type of nicotine ‘hit’. Granted, that doesn’t answer your question as to the nicotine level/content in pipe tobaccos but, as far as I can ascertain thus far it’s next to impossible to give the nicotine content of pipe tobacco.
I normally smoke aromatics, but I’m finally delving into some non-aro’s for a change of pace and finding that I’m quite enjoying some of them. The aro’s smell great, smoke smooth (if properly smoked), but I find that many (not all of course) have absolutely no taste. But, I digress...
I have smoked more than my share of aro’s and then after finishing I found myself lighting up a cigarette. Yes, I know that’s sick, but smoking cigarettes in and of itself is purely an addiction to ‘nicotine’ and not the ‘taste’. With that said, I have smoked some non-aro’s, which upon finishing, left me with NO desire to light up a cigarette. As a matter of fact, the mere thought of doing so was a total turn off and I found myself not wishing to light up a cigarette for at least an hour or more. I can only assume that the nicotine content in some of these tobaccos more than met my need for it and satisfied my sick addiction to it. As for getting a ‘high’ on nicotine I think at this point in time that would be impossible for me as I could probably inhale a cheap cigar without getting sick, much less getting dizzy.
With that said, if you’ve never smoked cigarettes (God bless you) I can only imagine that some pipe tobaccos could well indeed do a number on you. However, don’t in any way shape or form let that discourage you from smoking a pipe. As said from others; just go at it slowly and try different blends. If by chance something bothers you in any way then avoid it and move on and you’ll find your niche. ;)

Try GH Dark Flake unscented. As one of the first non-aros I tried as I was transitioning from cigs to the pipe to get my Vitamin N fix, it made me sick as a dog. And, I was a Camel Wide guy. I had the spins, greens, and felt like I could get no relief. Then came the diarrhea and nausea. Nicotine poisoning is no joke. Some of the stronger blends can poison you quickly, if you don't take it easy. I just avoid the stronger blends now that I am less of a slave to nicotine.
My all day blend is a light little Virginia navy flake by Newminster. It has a honey sweet taste and almost no noticeable nicotine, and I can smoke it all day.

It's been almost two years since I've had a cigarette, and I try to keep the N levels low now, so that I don't get that urge to go buy a pack. As long as I have the pipe lit in my mouth, I'm doing OK, IMO.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
C&D Haunted Bookshop just kicked my butt and it was after dinner and in a small bowl.

Could partially be from the extra retro-haling ... lots of Perique!

When that strong pepper is there I really get to "snorking". 8O

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
@ cosmicfolklore
Is this what you're referring to: 'Newminster - No. 400 Superior Navy Flake'? If it's anything like 'Orlik Golden Sliced', or better, I'm very interested and I'll definitely have to give that a try.

It is sweeter, and very acidic. Cased in honey, I like to dry it completely bone dry to smoke it. This lessens the tendency to bite and brings out the taste of the natural Virginia better. I love it. I like OGS too, but OGS is sweet in a different way. And, it has a very honeylike room note. I can also taste it on my mustache after I'm through, ha ha.
It's worth a try and it's a cheap bulk flake.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
augusto,
If you smoke into the bottom of a bowl with any tobacco you will get maximum nicotine. If you feel a "buzz" then you know that there is a significant amount of nicotine. If that is what you are looking for, try C&D Riverboat Gambler and tie you pant-legs shut! You need not inhale to get the buzz. Personally, it is not what I am looking for. But, I do love Riverboat Gambler and have learned to smoke it by "sipping" and not going to the bottom of the bowl. It is also a great mixer. It is deep in Burley Leaf.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I find perique heavy blends to completely buzz my brains out, such as cool hand fluke which is 40% perique, and Bayou morning which is 50% perique. I find alot of the english blends to be lower in the nic department. Burley I believ has the highest nic content.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I broadly agree with the comment about walking into walls and shrubbery. Since I normally have a couple of large pink gins with my coffee and pipe first thing in the morning before breakfast I don't think I would really notice the nicotine buzz. That being said there was a nasty brand of fine black shag sold by Smiths Snuff on the Charing Cross Road which if made into a hand rolled cigarette would knock 'the bejezus outa you' and the effect could be replicated in the same fashion if you were stupid enough to smoke it in anything other than a clay pipe!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Never been a cigarette smoker. Royal Yacht and Nightcap are 2/3 of my go-to blends. Only time I've ever felt the nic is if I accidentally inhale. Otherwise Idk what you chaps are talking about gettting a nic buzz from just puffing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.