PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I posted this on another thread but thought it deserved it's own. It's a guide to some popular single malt scotches to help you decide which you might like. There are some cool descriptions below the picture.

SingleMalt.jpg

SMOKY

Single malts found in the two smoky quadrants all contain discernible levels of peat, which is burned in the malting process. Ranging from scented smoke and bonfires, to kippers and lapsang souchong, they're epitomised by Islay malts such as Lagavulin and Caol Ila.
DELICATE

The whiskies at this end of the axis normally use no peat in the malting process. While movement up the axis sees an increase in complexity, this is without any discernible level of smokiness derived by peat. Towards the light end there is a floral, grassy freshness. Moving towards the richer side of the map, subtler nutty, barley and biscuity flavours start to come through.
LIGHT

This end of the vertical axis houses whiskies whose characteristics exhibit fresh flavours: green grass, soft fruits, cereal. Such flavours tend to reflect the processes followed by a distillery, such as fermentation or size and shape of the stills.
RICH

Whiskies at the rich end of the axis contain characteristics often derived from the nature of the wood used during maturation. Typical flavours range from vanilla (given by American oak casks) to nuttiness to cigar box, chocolate and dried fruit (from European oak casks). Whether a cask is first fill or refill will make a difference to flavour.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Thanks for sharing this Dave. However I haven't found a Scotch yet that I don't like... :puffy:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Then you haven't had Clan MacGregor! It's the Kentucky Deluxe of scotches. The Red River of pipe tobaccos. Ew.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Nope, haven't tried that one yet, but now I definantly won't...

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
That's awesome thank you! Also Master of Malts website has Dram samples for sale of most of their single malts.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
You're welcome guys, I thought it was cool. The problem I have with scotch is their all so different, and it's not like I've heard of half of them anyway, so don't know what to get. I bought a $150 bottle of something once, that was laid down in 1976, and it was a really sophisticated taste-I-didn't-like-in-the-first-place. I could have had six bottles of Dalmore, which is my favorite scotch.
@howard: You have tastings? You don't happen to live next door to me or anything, do you?
@tj: That's awesome, am heading there now...Rats. The cheapest sampler is $5, most are $6-12, and the most expensive is $90, and shipping to the States is $32. That would be OK, but 3cl is 1.01oz, so only one shot. A wee bit out of my price range :(

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Thx Dave, nice chart! A buddy of mine rec'ved a bottle of Glenlivet 12yo for Christmas. My budget dictates blends, and I am currently having a love affair with John Barr Red!

images

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I count myself fortunate that there's a local pub called Pints - they have what they claim is the largest collection of single-malts outside of Britain. We'll periodically go down and try a flight of stuff we're curious about.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
wildcat, there are alot of fine single malts in the inexpensive realm, you just have to look.
12 y/o glennlivit is an example...

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Tomatin is a good one that tastes way above its price range. I also have to reccomment McClellands Islay and Highland Single Malt. $20-25 but the whisky is actually made from other distillers, like Bowmore so even though it's a new Scotch, it is good quality.
MacGregor is just vile. I wouldn't kill ants with that stuff, even though it would probably work.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
That's very informative, thanks, simnettpratt :puffy:
I haven't tried around a lot of single malts, but they're my preferred whiskey.
I've found if it's over 12 years aged, it's usually good.
and coincidentally enough, baron ... I just picked up 12 years aged Tomatin last night:
N2yh6.png

And it surprised me, the flavor profile was exactly like the bottle described. That is not typically so, in my experience. Initial floral flavor that becomes nutty almost right away, and a sweet finish, just like the bottle described.
Glenfiddich is my usual choice, I guess I must like Delicate flavored single malt scotch.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
glenfiddich is my prefered scotch.... but also drink laphrouag, both of which can be scored for under $30...

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@baron: Did you know when ants get drunk they always fall over on their right side? I bet Mick did.
I've only met three alcoholic beverages I won't drink: Schlitz Malt Liquor, Michelob Honey Wheat, and Clan MacGregor. You could probably add Everclear too.
@zanthal: Glad you get something from reading the descriptions on the bottle; I don't get a thing, which is why I liked that chart. I wonder where the Dalmore would fit?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Helpful chart. I'm definitely on the "smoky" side, with Highland Park 12, Talisker 10, and Lagavulin 16 sitting on my shelves. I did enjoy the Bunnahabin 12 I had at the distillery on Islay; it was a pleasant change of pace. My wife liked it a lot. Not easy to find in the States, though; I might keep a bottle around, otherwise.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
http://www.maltmadness.com/malt-whisky/scotch-whisky-malmanac.html
This website has some good information on single malts.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Great site buster, thanks. I like his 1-100 rating system:
0-9: Barely drinkable gagwater. Serving me this may result in physical violence.
Laphroaig shows up pretty quickly as one of his favorites...

Status
Not open for further replies.