PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayhr

Lurker
May 5, 2019
Hello everyone im new into pipe smoking & new in the forum, just would like to know how do you keep your new opened tin, for smoking in the upcoming days?
Another question, how many bowls do you smoke per day in the same pipe?
Thanks in advance

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
how do you keep your new opened tin, for smoking in the upcoming days?
Canning jars.
how many bowls do you smoke per day in the same pipe?
I usually smoke the same pipe 2-4 times per day for a week before changing pipes and clean the pipe between smokes. Right now I've been smoking the same pipe for a month.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I keep some tobaccos in the tin. Otherwise, I also use canning jars to store tobaccos that are going to be around for a while longer.
I have a couple of pipes that are my favorites. They tend to get a daily workout. I do switch back and forth between the two just to let them air out a bit prior to the next bowl.
I smoke all styles of tobacco in them.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
If I expect to smoke all the tobacco within a month or so, I will just leave it in the tin. Otherwise I put in in a jar.
I usually only smoke one bowl per day, but if I have two or more bowls in a day, I use different pipes.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Howdy & welcome, ah! Good to have you with us! Me, I'm in the same camp as jfred; if I expect to finish it soon (within 1-2 months) I'll just keep it in the tin or Ziploc.
On the other I'm a little chaotic. I may smoke as many as 3-4 bowls in a row before switching pipes. If I do I make sure to run pipe cleaners through till they come out clean, then rest the pipe for a few days, usually a week, give or take.
If I'm doing something like a long (2-3 hrs or more) I'll pack 2-3 bowls in advance, which will normally get me through to a gas stop, then reload/repeat. It's all in the situation & where my head's at at the moment. :)
Bill

ayhr

Lurker
May 5, 2019
<p>Thanks everybody for the reply, because right now i have around 4 pipes, im worried if i smoke 3 times a day on the same pipe, that ill damage it, i guess its ok

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I forgot the "Welcome aboard!" I just smoke the pipe that seems right for the moment. I too clean them well with pipe cleaners after each bowl. They get a workout. But, I've never experienced any negative effects.
Smoke on and enjoy! :puffy:

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
3 a day's fine, just clean it after you've finished, & let it rest for a few days to fully dry.
If you've lurked you've probably seen there are basically two camps on cleaning; those who believe in rinsing/wiping after every smoke, & those who only clean with cleaners (&/or alcohol) if/when the pipe seems to need it. As with nearly everything pipe, it's all subjective & whatever floats your own personal boat. Me, I'm lazy, so you can probably figure which camp I fall in. -laugh-
B

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I generally pop a newly opened tin into a bail top jar as I have 8-10 blends open, and don't know if I'll finish it in a week or two months. Tin is fine for quite a few weeks.
Thanks everybody for the reply, because right now i have around 4 pipes, im worried if i smoke 3 times a day on the same pipe, that ill damage it, i guess its ok
Smoking the same pipe for quite a while won't damage it, as long as it's cleaned and cooled before the next smoke. I find I don't need to "rest" a pipe as long as it's dry, which it is shortly after a decent smoke. At the same time, all my pipes get plenty of rest overall as I have a lot of them.
Don't worry; be happy!

pufferfish

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2019
I tend to bung my tobacco in a canning jar, airtight type. We don't get much in tins here so the tobacco is often left in the packet and that is put in the jar. As far as how many bowls per pipe I think the secret is trying to smoke dry and resting the pipe a bit between smokes, that way you can use the same pipe for a few days. I have a lot of pipes around so I often just pick a fresh one after a bowl. Corn Cobs are great for every day and any day. There are no rules apart from the ones that you discover will work for you.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I store all my tobacco in canning jars. If I think I'll get through the tin in a day or a week (yes, I often rip through a tin in a day), I leave it in the tin. If not, it goes into an 8oz jar.

Many times, I just empty into a tobacco pouch. But, be warned, pouches with yellow latex will dry out your tobacco in a hurry!

Jars are best!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I regularly have two leather pouches with me. One holds only tobacco, and the other holds 2 pipes and some tobacco. I've tried traveling with the jars, and that just bothers me.
Briars are a lot more durable than people think. I regularly smoke only one pipe a day, 5-10 times (the latter if I have time) and just run a pipe cleaner through the draft hole after every smoke, or every other smoke.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I normally have around 20 tins open at the same time. In the pic below you will see opaque colored plastic tubs with the white lids. Those will keep my open tins fresh for around 1.5 years. It is so much easier using them than jarring every open tin I have. I bought the tubs at walmart, they come in a 4 pack of different sizes and I paid around 6 bucks for the 4.
I smoke 3-5 bowls per day and use a fresh pipe for each bowl. I then clean each pipe to within an inch of it's life and then let it rest for at least 48 hours. Nothing ruins a smoke worse than a dirty and wet pipe.

jars-401x600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.