PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm sure this has been discussed here before,but I can't seem to find a thread about it.Could someone point me to a thread,or explain how I should rub out flake tobacco.I'm Having a good bit of a problem figuring it out.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Left hand column of this page, Featured Articles, Flake Pipe Tobacco Preparation. Probably the most succinct help around.

But it does merit some discussion. I like to rub out my flakes -- for the most part. I agree with Russ O. who maintains that it tastes better.

Per George Jensen of Mac Baren believes that folding, which burns cooler, gives better results. I also like cube cutting.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Here's the video where Per Jensen shows how to load a pipe with flakes. I just came across it yesterday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9tzmB0JInY

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Cube is best for me, everytime I use the rubbing method I think that my palms are adding moisture to the tobacco and not letting it smoke properly.

~Ron

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
I used to fold and stuff, but I find that rubbing makes it burn easier, so I'm sticking with that for now. Just had some Golden Slice tonight.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For a beginner, I believe that cube cutting your flakes will produce the best result in terms of cool smoking and great flavors. I also fold and stuff but that takes time to learn the ins and outs of that prep. Rubbing flakes out in my opinion makes them burn too hot. Now if you are just breaking the flakes apart into big chunks with your fingers, that is ok. When you use the cube cut method, you will get a nice even burn and still have the benefits of cool smoking.
I think everyone should eventually try all the methods to see which one they prefer. Give them all a good test, one bowl is not sufficient in my opinion. Give it 4-5 bowls of each method in the same pipe with the same blend. I also believe that the pipe itself i.e size and shape has a lot to do with how well a flake performs. I prefer group 4-5 sized pipes. Also when packing a cube cut or rubbed out flake, make sure there is some pretty good resistance before lighting up, too loose will make for a hot smoke, and a hot smoke means loss of flavors.
Once you learn how to smoke flakes properly, you will then be considered a professional pipe smoker. You can then apply for your pipe smoking badge which Kevin gives out to those who qualify. It is a very nice badge that you can wear proudly on the left( never right) lapel of your smoking jacket.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've come to the conclusion that flakes are not for me! I've smoked several different flakes, prepared every way in the book, and I just don't care for them! I don't like the smoking characteristics of them, or the extra steps necessary to properly prepare and smoke them. I'll stick with my loose tobacco! I have to say, the method I considered easiest is the "Z" pattern fold and stuff.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
the "Z" pattern fold and stuff
Now there's one I completely forgot about! Thanks for the reminder petes03. I also do a fold and scuff, in which

I take a folded flake and squish it around to separate the layers a bit. It's a kind of hybrid between folding and rubbing.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Once you learn how to smoke flakes properly, you will then be considered a professional pipe smoker. You can then apply for your pipe smoking badge which Kevin gives out to those who qualify. It is a very nice badge that you can wear proudly on the left( never right) lapel of your smoking jacket.
Is there a covert forum of judges that scrutinize your technique before ceremoniously and grandiloquently awarding you with this most distinguished and universally acclaimed decoration?

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I've tried all the methods and my preferred is to fold the flake in half length wise then fold in half width wise then twist the flakes into the bowl with the loose broken ends up. Idk why but cubing isn't that great for me, burns ok but I usually don't like the taste as much. This was especially evident with Marlin Flake which ha a strange rotten fruit flavor when cubed but gave me a nice plum and toasted coconut flavor when folded and stuffed. Try em all though they all have benefits and provide a different smoking experience. Another that works well for me is ripping a flake in half and then separating little sticks and standing them up in the bowl. (III) like that.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Flake tobacco is definitely my preference. I generally prefer fully rubbed, as I am a very slow smoker and don't get them hot. I believe that once I get my baccy too hot, the flavor gets lost, and no amount of slow smoking can bring it back. Slow smoking also equals dry smoking.
There are certain flakes that I prefer fold and stuffed, though. Irish flake, for instance, for sure- I never rub out. SG navy flake also, I never rubbed out. Ennerdale works fine either way, so just depends on what I feel like. The taste is different.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Each to his own, but Flakyjakey must put in his penn'orth LOL. I have tried every method over the years and have now settled on rubbing out the flake (to which I give minimal drying time). Then I smoke slowly - sipping - using just enough draw to keep the tobacco alight.

Status
Not open for further replies.