PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesillyoldbear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
One of the most recommended tips for beginner pipe smokers is to rotate your pipes. Now, if you already have a dozen or so briars, meers, or cobs in your collection, this isn't that hard to do. But if you're just starting out, building an entire rotation based on your smoking habits can seem quite daunting. But it doesn't have to be.
How To Rotate Your Pipes In 8 Easy Steps
SPC.TedBlog.92216_2.jpg

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
How To Rotate Your Pipes
I just hold it by the stem between my thumb and index finger and move the latter back and forth.
Otherwise, I just grab whichever one strikes my fancy at the moment. Got more important things to remember than the order in which I smoked my pipes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
On the other side, far from my belief, are those new smokers who crave structure and unbending rules. I don't understand them. I feel sad for them. I do cheer them on though. It's a hard life trying to enjoy a pipe, in my opinion, while attempting to adhere to a strict, unwavering set of rules. I guess it fully depends on your personality and what makes you comfortable.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I like the article. You guys do a really good job of putting these together for both the newer and more experienced smokers. Thanks!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
On the other side, far from my belief, are those new smokers who crave structure and unbending rules. I don't understand them. I feel sad for them. I do cheer them on though. It's a hard life trying to enjoy a pipe, in my opinion, while attempting to adhere to a strict, unwavering set of rules. I guess it fully depends on your personality and what makes you comfortable.
Pipe smoking is like driving a car. At first you're hyper conscious of everything but before you know it you're on auto pilot.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I will add one thing to my previous remarks: When I pick one from the rack I am in the habit of giving the bowl a quick sniff, and if it smells a little damp/musty I'll put it back to dry more and choose another pipe.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I rotate my pipes so they maintain a perfect geosynchronous orbit with my pipe stand that is using echolocation to maintain stasis.
I also just grab whichever pipe I feel like.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I guess I'm with the majority here. Grab pipe... smoke for as long as I want, put pipe back, grab another. They get cleaned when they need it, and they rest when they tell me they need a rest. Not unheard of for me to smoke the same pipe 3 or 4 days in a row without rotating.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Actually Dave I'm closer to a 2 year rotaion. I just need to get the rest of them purdied up by you. :D

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
I just pick one out of the bunch(yeah,quite a pile PAD).Then pick a tobacco ( yeah TAD too). Man, if I really thought about all of it, I'd never get a pipe lit. ;0) 8)

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
It would be helpful if advise where broken down into a couple of categories, perhaps:
1) What collectors do as part of the hobby.
2) What you need to smoke a pipe.
Both offer very valid and valuable advise, but can be confusing to the new comer when they don't see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.