PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I have a old Meer that has spooks, I just can't seem to get the old taste out.

HELP is needed.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I cleaned the stem with alcohol and smoked it alot but at the end of the smoke it still smells and tastes old. :crying:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'd carefully ream out any cake then make a plug for the bowl out of a paper towel. You can use a medicine dropper to soak it with alcohol. Let it soak for a few minutes then use dry towels to soak up the excess. Let it dry then smoke a mild aro like 1-Q, cleaning with alcohol after for the next few times. Sometimes that works.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Yes, it's ok, but in small doses. Meerschaum, from what I've read will break down with too much alcohol.
Baron's method should work quite well. After every smoke, just swab some alcohol on the inside.
Edit: I would NOT soak it in alcohol.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
Ace, I had the same problem with a meer that I got this last Christmas. I smoked out the ghost with PA, left it alone for a week. When I came back, the ghost was back as well. I found out it was being caused by the case that came with it. If you're storing it in the case when not in use, you might try letting it air out a bit or just not using the case. Hope that helps.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Ooo, didn't even think about that, but yeah, those cases can get nasty! I have all of my meers in my pipe cabinet in pipe stands. I'd much rather let them air out and be seen that stuffed in some case.

Jul 12, 2011
I have found that after a good cleaning all around that some serious

Burley blends will chase those ghosts away :) I like Solani Aged Burley flake

or H&H Classic burley kake always seems to do the job for me

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yes. I would not leave the alcohol soaked paper towel in for more than a couple of minutes. As I mentioned, I put dry towels in after to get the excess.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I dont know if anyone has used them yet, but I keep suggesting this; http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/ozone.html

I've never done business with Walker Briarworks, but they have a great reputation.

I have my own ozone generator, and NOTHING will get rid of ghosts like this process.

You could buy an Ozone generator for a couple hundred $'s, or have Walker do it for $5.

Hands down, the best option out there!

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Lonestar, I have never heard of this Ozone treatment before. Being as you have a generator and are familiar with it, could you post a little bit more on the procedure? Thanks

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
When I do the process here, I just seperate the stems from the bowls, stick them in a box and put the end of the ozone generator through a hole in the side of it.

Leave it to run for a couple days, and thats it.

The most horrible 50 year old gunked up funked up pipe comes out smelling like a fresh spring day.

I just use it on pipes I'm restoring myself. Cant hardly compete with Walkers low price and I'd feel terrible if something happened to someones pipes they sent me.

Bottom line, it absolutely does a better job then alcohol, salt or any other treatment out there. It eliminates ANY odor/taste/smell from a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.