PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Got a 99 cent briar off Ebay a while back. Haven't even smoked it yet. Would like to use it as a refinish project.
What are the basic procedures for a refinish? I am assuming along the lines of a sand down, reapplication of a coating, and polishing / waxing.
Any help or pointing to relevant postings or articles is appreciated.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Most finishes will come off with the application of high proof alcohol. Far easier than all that sanding. Once it's nekkid then see what you need to do in terms of sanding. Start with the finest grit you can get away with . To re-stain I use leather dye. You can also get powdered alcohol based dye from PIMO. There are several schools of thought on finishes. The most common is just use carnauba wax. For stems a soak in Oxyclean followed by light sanding with 600 grit wet or dry , used wet works fairly well . Finish off buffing with diamond compound or a decent stem polish.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Okay, Uncle Arthur, does it go like so?
Soak the pipe in a bath of everclear, or maybe wood alcohol. Use a rag or similar to get the finish off. Rinse and repeat til you are down to a clean wood.
Let dry.
Sand with a very light paper if needed.
Stain with leather dye.
Coat with carnuba wax.
Is the Obsidian stem oil considered a polish, or something else? And is there a particular tint or tints of dye for your "basic pipe colors"?

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I refinished one that turned out pretty good. basically sanded the finish off the wiped on some Chef's planet/ wood moisterizing creme. Its food grade mineral oil and bees wax. I liked the grain of the wood I was looking at when I got done sanding and didn't want any stain. Well there you have it I probably messed up but thats me. If it aint broken, thats because I havent touched it yet.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Sounds about right Portaskat. Use everclear rather than wood alcohol. The wood alcohol contains other crap that I wouldn't want to be in any pipe I smoked.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
thanks to all. Any suggestions on the "tint" of the leather dye?
This is a test project. I am not going for any particular look, just something to get a technique down with.

Status
Not open for further replies.