Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:  No tags yet. 

How to Proceed further with Polishing Waxes

(13 posts)
  1. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Prior to proceeding to final buffing with hard carnauba,I'd like to ask for an advice which of the following waxes I am to use in order to remove hardly visible micro scratches from stem surface,both on ebonite and Acrylic stems. Brown Tripoli, Jewelers rouge(in powder form) or White Diamond. Thank You for Your comments, Much obliged
    Ps.I was removing some teeth chatters,and thus had to use some light sanding.)

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. donjgiles

donjgiles

Login to Send PM

Paul,

Have you tried using Micro Mesh pads through their progression of most coarse to finest grit?
    I have found they do a bang up job on dull stems with light scratches.

Don

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

DonJgiles:Yes I have but there's still hardly visible scratches present.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How high a grit paper did you use for your final sanding?

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Paul, a really high grit, like 12000 or so should remove any scraches or so I'm told. Obviously you work up to that. On the stems I have read people just use plain chap stick to 'seal' it all up.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If the white diamond says for use on plastics...I'd use that one, otherwise I use the brown tripoli very carefully (sparingly). Always use a light hand in polishing the stems.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank You boys, I will still try finishing with 12,ooo grit /white diamond and finishing the process with the hard carnauba, yet I have dremel drill with cotton and wool pads on hand.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My question related to the highest grit sandpaper BEFORE micromesh. Try taking it, wet sanding in steps from 600 to 2000, you will be surprised.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dmcmtk: Thank You Sir,more or less,achieved my goal,finished with 12000 micromesh and solid carnauba applyed on cotton wheel

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When making stems I use brown tripoli and then white before carnauba from a solid bar on a buffing wheel.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I never buff marks or oxidation off a stem - that is what sandpaper is for:
    800>1000>1500>2000 then micromesh sheets 8000>12000 (all by hand, wet)

Then buff on a wheel with White Diamond (I then use Meguiars Plastic Polish) Buffing with a fine rouge is the final step, but only after preparation by using the sandpaper (as dmcmtk said).

Carnuba wax won't do anything for a stem, save that for the final protect coat on the briar.

Waxes typically don't do any removal - polishing does that, wax protects the final product.
    So your title "Polishing Waxes" makes no sense and is not accurate. Most auto waxes have a cleaning component, but not typically in pipe restoration materials.

Al

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

osiris01

Login to Send PM

Not sure if you can get them where you are (I'm UK), but I have recently switched compounds to Menzerna products. I still use standard tripoli, but I use their Glosswax 16 instead of White Diamond. The cut is about the same (perhaps a little finer) but the compound lays a far better surface for carnauba than the White Diamond I can get. For stems I also use their P175 Yellow before wax. This is a very fine cut/high gloss and is outstanding on wood or plastics for removing micro-scratches. Both leave a mirror finish before carnauba is applied and are dryer than the standard compounds.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SSJones,CrashTheGray,and Osiris01 ; Thanks for this added information.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   rdavid, peanubutter, davet, captaincalabash, johnbarleycorn, olkofri, snagstangl, trudger, wannabe, dottiewarden, skeeter456, verporchting, npod, scloyd, puffy, onestrangeone, donjgiles, carolinachurchwarden, ashdigger