PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Hey all I just received a tin of Peterson Irish Flake in my Pipe Tobacco of the Month Club order and was just wondering how do I prep it for smoking.The first time I tried it I just folded it and rubbed it between my hands,it kind of worked,the slice broke into thin but stiff strips,so is that what it is supposed to do?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
In a word, yes.
Do a search, though, and you'll find a lot of discussion (and video links) here on preparing flakes. But in a nutshell: Some folks simply fold them up and stuff them in the pipe. Others (myself included) rub it out as thoroughly as possible and then pack as normal. Finally, some cut their flakes into little squares for packing.
Try all these methods, if you like, to find the one that works the best for you. Certain methods may work better on certain flakes or in certain-size bowls. But it's really just a matter of personal preference.
Bob

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Yes, there are many ways to smoke a flake. I rub it out most of the time.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I still keep rotating between the different methods. Lately, I am leaning more towards the fold and stuff. It seems to be easier to me and smokes just as well.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
My preferred method is to completely rub out a small amount and drop it into the bowl. Then I take one flake and tear off thumb sized pieces (depending on the width of the bowl) and layer those on top of one another until it reaches near the top of the bowl. I then top it off with another small pinch of fully rubbed out flake to make it easier to light. Some people use scissors or a knife, but I can't be bothered and simply pinch it with my thumb and pull it off.
I find lighting a flake without a little fluff on top is pretty difficult to do, so the little pinch of rubbed out tobacco serves to get the pile going easily. The rubbed out pinch at the bottom serves to make sure the draw remains consistent because I find that sometimes a piece of flake can bung up the air hole if it gets folded over it during packing and it can make the whole pipe impossible.
Some flakes need a bit of drying first, I think you'll find. For me, they tend to be a little more moist than most tobacco. It's a good cut for virginia tobacco, in my opinion, but I think the majority of flakes are virginia forward.
I like the variety and flavour. It's good to really try and get the flake going without fully rubbing it out so you can notice the difference and how it changes the smoke. I find the taste to be completely different if it's kept in flake form v.s. fully rubbed out. Probably something to do with heat, but who knows? It's just different to me and I think it's worth experimenting with before going the route of always rubbing them out.
Not that there's anything wrong with rubbing one out once in awhile... A guy has to do what a guy has to do.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I like to fold-n-stuff, but I think they probably need a fair amount of drying out before; I think I've been smoking them too wet.
However, I may be wrong - all I know is that I suck at flakes.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Yeah y'all are right my flake tobacco was really moist so drying seems like a must,and I have to say unadoptedlamp that is a very unique way of packing that I'm going to have to try. Thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.